Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Convince me to buy EVO, and sell my STi...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2007, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calilancer02
looks like you'll end up keeping your sti. you will get to the same point with an evo if you mod it just like you did your sti. then you will say to yourself "should i waste the money on a bigger turbo or not to"

realistically, if you want reliability you wont do anything much bast bolt ons.. for any car that is. If you want to hit 11's reliably, you need a bigger turbo, which is where your money costs is.. Its the same for STI's and EVO's. SO it probably isn't worth your time trying to sell your STI just to be on the same path when you get your "used" evo. Sounds like you have a realiable trusthworthy car already, keep it
Well with either car i do plan on upgrading the turbo, when is more of an issue right now, but it will def. happen in the future. thanks for the input bud!

Originally Posted by scheides
Please, keep your STi. If you sell it and get an evo, that's one less STi out there that I can laugh at and walk away from when they try and start shiz with me!

Seriously though, Evo hands down. Love the car.
lol, i 'try' not to do that kinda stuff to ppl. evo hands down eh? im starting to think i should have added a poll to this thread.

Originally Posted by hamx0r
to the op, my friend, henry, is going through the same thing with his 05 sti.... good luck with it
thanks man, good luck to ur buddy...also what are his thoughts if u don't mind me asking u as a middle man?

o and once again, thanks to all for your opinions!
Old Oct 24, 2007, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would keep the sti. It's a very nice car.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

mayhem13 - What kind of racing do you want to do? Drag, auto-cross, road race?
What are your power goals or 1/4 mile goals with the car.
Evo's can go very quick without the need for a gt35.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

My roomate just sold his 04 30r sti...... ummm it was just plain slow... nice car.. but slow.... besides look at my sig
Old Oct 24, 2007, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Paul, You did answer all your questions, IF you want to go faster and cheap, Go with an Evo IX IT is true the evo handles better, and its easy to mod, you can probably easy make some cash, by selling your after parts and put everything back to stock and trade it in StI for an evo ix, i would do it asap, because evo X is around the corner, if you still want ix with low milage.

gl with your purchase.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

I went out to a local fun race spot here in Chicago. I pretty much saw a 2005 20G EVO on race gas vs a 2005 35R STI. The EVO won... Funny thing about the EVO is it looked so stock compared to the STI under the hood.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nez136
And Porsche?

like he said boxer motor ftl.
while smoothness and lower center of gravity is great, when your talking about labor, modification and working on it yourself? just because its in a porsche doesn't mean it sucks any less to work on and mod.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by emagdnim8
I would keep the sti. It's a very nice car.
yea i do love it. too bad the two cars are seemingly so equal in my mind, making this that much harder.

Originally Posted by dudical26
mayhem13 - What kind of racing do you want to do? Drag, auto-cross, road race?
What are your power goals or 1/4 mile goals with the car.
Evo's can go very quick without the need for a gt35.
Well i live near englishtown in NJ, so i'd b doing some drag and autox, i'd love to road race too as englishtown just finished their track. mainly drag and autox..i know, i know there isn't really a turbo upgrade that will be a "jack of all trades" type of deal lol.

Originally Posted by tweakdsm
Paul, You did answer all your questions, IF you want to go faster and cheap, Go with an Evo IX IT is true the evo handles better, and its easy to mod, you can probably easy make some cash, by selling your after parts and put everything back to stock and trade it in StI for an evo ix, i would do it asap, because evo X is around the corner, if you still want ix with low milage.

gl with your purchase.
I'm hoping that the introduction of the X will drop the prices of the IX's a little bit...

Originally Posted by dexmix
like he said boxer motor ftl.
while smoothness and lower center of gravity is great, when your talking about labor, modification and working on it yourself? just because its in a porsche doesn't mean it sucks any less to work on and mod.

yea working on my car has been a pita, (i even have stitches in my dome from a wrench lol..long story). I didn't fully realize how much easier it is to work on an evo until long after I bought my STi.

..once again, thanks all!
Old Oct 24, 2007, 04:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by mayhem13
First off, greetings EvoM!. I'm new to posting on this forum, I usually stick to iwsti and nasioc.

Now, I am seriously considering selling my 05STi and picking up an Evo IX.

The reasoning behind this is that, as I mod my sti, I've reached the point where I am wondering if it is worth the serious $$$ investment to get what I want out of my car. I am trying to build a daily-driven car that will be tracked occasionally. My future upgrades for my sti are going to include GT30r, 35r, or GT52 with all supporting mods, full suspension, brakes, etc...

However, as my intended mod path progresses I am also considering a built block and other costly mods.

Finally, when i bought my STi, I was also shopping for an evo IX but I got a great deal on my car...until that point I was torn between the two.

So, the reason I am considering sellin my sti and buying an evo is 1. 4g63 engine 'stronger' then sti ej25. 2. evo 'cheaper' to mod 3. 4g63 easier to work on, as i'd have to pull the sti motor to do any substantial work (major labor costs here). ...plus I LOVE the look of a WW Evo IX. I believe that my mod path would be substantially cheaper for an evo; for example to run a 35r on an sti I would need to invest over 10k (turbo itself, supporting mods, new or rebuilt block, etc..) on the evo I believe the Buschur hta35r kit is around 4k? plus supporting mods, so maybe around 7k investment? correct me if I'm wrong.

The Question: Is it worth the trouble to sell my sti and buy an evo? What else should I consider? I've been reading this forum for a while now and I am somewhat familiar with Evo's, but what are the major known failure points? (i.e. head studs, trans. case, clutch, etc...?) I would appreciate any and all input to help me with this major decision.

Thanks everyone

-Paul

...and yes I've tried to search for info I though relevant, I'm looking for opinions here.
1) Closed deck iron block vs. semi-closed deck aluminum block

2) Try changing heads and cams on an EJ25...'nuff said.

3) Long headers that lose lots of heat (power) vs. short twin-scroll iron exhaust mani

There are others, but you get the point.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

The Evo is just a flat out better car. Handles better. .responds to mods better and looks better. The interior sucks but you buy a car to drive it. You want luxury...go sit on your couch...
Old Oct 24, 2007, 04:46 PM
Former Sponsor

evos dont have cc
Old Oct 24, 2007, 05:25 PM

by all means... trade in your sti for an evo...

but say goodbye to:

a good clutch
a nice ride
reliability
torque
Old Oct 24, 2007, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by chrisevo8
The Evo is just a flat out better car. Handles better. .responds to mods better and looks better. The interior sucks but you buy a car to drive it. You want luxury...go sit on your couch...
haha, i totally agree. I want to drive the car the way it was designed to be driven, don't really care about luxury.

Originally Posted by inneedof
evos dont have cc
..never use cruise control anyway.

Originally Posted by all4bspinnin
by all means... trade in your sti for an evo...

but say goodbye to:

a good clutch
a nice ride
reliability
torque

..reliability, now there's my issue with the evo.

and I really love the way my STi torque's down low. its sooo much fun.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

There was a group of STI drivers that kinda met up with a group of Evo drivers at a local meet. Most of them seemed to think our cars handled better. *shrug*

I've never driven an STI, but I've stated before: I chose the evo because I felt that the STI was less appealing cosmetically.

As for reliability, I believe that all depends on your mod paths. You can always change parts for better.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Do it I traded my 05 Sti and haven't regretted it since.

Quick Reply: Convince me to buy EVO, and sell my STi...