Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Convince me to buy EVO, and sell my STi...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2007, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i would get a new STI in sedan version. I just saw the WRX in sedan ,i liked it a lot. So probably the Sti version will look much better.
Also the Subi dealer will give you more for your car then the Mitshu dealer...
Old Oct 24, 2007, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by calilancer02
If you want to hit 11's reliably, you need a bigger turbo, which is where your money costs is.. Its the same for STI's and EVO's.
A stock turbo IX has seen 10s with nitrous. Mid-high 11s on stock turbo with pump gas is not uncommon at all.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i hear ya..last year i bought a new 06 sti i got so excited havin me a new car'i didnt even care how much my payment on this sti . just love havin it . and my insurance is way up there in my car payment start got into me and got no money for an-upgrade for this car.well i keep the car for a year and let my brother take over payment dont get me wrong, i like the sti just felt got carried away for buying it' and i bought an 04 evo 13k less what i pay for my sti. my insurance a lot lower compare to evo .now i got $$ for up-grade for this car..im stoked! just depend on ur situation. i just learn my mistake and move on'
Old Oct 24, 2007, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually if you want to go big power I don't think you will be spending less money on an evo then on a sti. Up to a certain point the evo is cheaper, but when you are talking 35r I don't think ther will much of a cost gap

Last edited by 596736; Oct 24, 2007 at 06:52 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
i would get a new STI in sedan version. I just saw the WRX in sedan ,i liked it a lot. So probably the Sti version will look much better.
Also the Subi dealer will give you more for your car then the Mitshu dealer...

I really only like the 04/05 sti body style, although the 06 has grown on me. They're not coming out with a sedan version of the new sti to my knowledge, hatch only...eewww

Originally Posted by Blitz
A stock turbo IX has seen 10s with nitrous. Mid-high 11s on stock turbo with pump gas is not uncommon at all.

now thats what im talkin about lol!

Originally Posted by 1sik _evo8
i hear ya..last year i bought a new 06 sti i got so excited havin me a new car'i didnt even care how much my payment on this sti . just love havin it . and my insurance is way up there in my car payment start got into me and got no money for an-upgrade for this car.well i keep the car for a year and let my brother take over payment dont get me wrong, i like the sti just felt got carried away for buying it' and i bought an 04 evo 13k less what i pay for my sti. my insurance a lot lower compare to evo .now i got $$ for up-grade for this car..im stoked! just depend on ur situation. i just learn my mistake and move on'
I don't and would never consider buying my sti a 'mistake'. I love the car and i see it as a learning experience. But i suppose our situations are different as i put a very large down payment on mine, and I had it paid off within a year.

Originally Posted by 596736
Actually if you want to go big power I don't think you will be spending less money on an evo then on a sti. Up to a certain point the evo is cheaper, but when you are talking 35r I don't think ther will much of a cost gap

prob. true to a certain extend..but for me to run a 35r i'd have to do a full rebuild of the block, or buy a new one...thats expensive as heck. plus arent the buschur and ets 35r kits around 4k? A crawford or perrin 35r kit for an sti is a few thousand more than that... point being I'd like to squeeze as much as possible out of the stock turbo and i will def. be upgrading to a larger turbo in the future. It just seems more economical to do so with an evo. But like i stated earlier, i have no gripes about spending the money on an upgrade like a 35r (not saying i'd def get that turbo) for either car.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mayhem13
now thats what im talkin about lol!
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=283355

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=254972

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=289116

Enjoy.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by calilancer02
looks like you'll end up keeping your sti. you will get to the same point with an evo if you mod it just like you did your sti. then you will say to yourself "should i waste the money on a bigger turbo or not to"

realistically, if you want reliability you wont do anything much bast bolt ons.. for any car that is. If you want to hit 11's reliably, you need a bigger turbo, which is where your money costs is.. Its the same for STI's and EVO's. SO it probably isn't worth your time trying to sell your STI just to be on the same path when you get your "used" evo. Sounds like you have a realiable trusthworthy car already, keep it
Evo 9s hit hit 11s with bolt ons and stock turbo... just thought i'd clear that up.

Originally Posted by all4bspinnin
by all means... trade in your sti for an evo...

but say goodbye to:

a good clutch
a nice ride
reliability
torque
a good clutch - only the stock clutch sucks. do big horsepower st's run the stock clutch?
a nice ride - i drive an mr... it rides real nice, though the dash is lacking - but the seats are better than an sti
reliability - i hear all about broken Sti's as much as I hear about broken Evo's - mostly because of the owners though.
torque - i come from the honda world, horsepower wins races and makes for quick ETs. STis with 50ft-lbs more torque still run the same 1/4 times as equivalent hp Evos, and torque becomes even less relevant when rolling.

Last edited by EvoBroMA; Oct 24, 2007 at 07:19 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

don't sell the sti the 04 and 05 were the prime gen/model of those cars as far as modding yea evos are cheaper but a nicely tuned and mod'd sti done right theres no beating it plus the sound of them is just unique keep it!
Old Oct 24, 2007, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by dexmix
Evo 9s hit hit 11s with bolt ons and stock turbo... just thought i'd clear that up.

a good clutch - only the stock clutch sucks. do big horsepower st's run the stock clutch?
a nice ride - i drive an mr... it rides real nice, though the dash is lacking - but the seats are better than an sti
reliability - i hear all about broken Sti's as much as I hear about broken Evo's - mostly because of the owners though.
torque - i come from the honda world, horsepower wins races and makes for quick ETs. STis with 50ft-lbs more torque still run the same 1/4 times as equivalent hp Evos, and torque becomes even less relevant when rolling.
^^lol because the stock turbo on the 9 is frickin huge

sti will always launch better than an evo due to the torque factor... from a roll you are correct it does not matter as much

and i will def agree with you on the topic of the evo seats... the evo 9 recaro's are really nice

as far as the sti clutch... from my experience it seems to be more durable although that does depend on the driver...

if he has an 05 sti thats a pretty good year... the 04's are a first year car so of course they have little issues here and there...

the MY05 sti has the better bolt pattern, steering, little better ecu etc

the 06 has the best ecu, with all the nice things about the 05 and it has a longer final drive that makes it much faster on the highway... 3.54 in 06 vs 3.90 in the 05...

comming from an sti owner, im obviously biased... i personally prefer the sti because i think the transmission setup feels better... light shifter, easy throw, like butta! the pedals are placed correctly and its just a good daily driver/speedster..

the evo is cheaper to mod and makes very nice power... just look at the pro's and cons...

i say keep the sti... buy a rotated gt30r kit, full exhaust, TGV del, meth and a tune and you have a pretty nasty lil ride

if u do go to the darkside and get an evo.... just make sure you get a 9
Old Oct 24, 2007, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

You mentioned a built block needed for the STI. I hear that's common for 400+ WHP.

How does 600 WHP on a stock block sound? Welcome to the world of Evos.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 09:14 PM

good ole iron block.... LOL>> https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...21#post4394121

but honestly... is everyone really going to shoot for 600 whp... of course not silly

Last edited by all4bspinnin; Oct 24, 2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Ohh boy... The Subie guys are just going to love that. lol

Best explaination:
"now tell us the truth. you were stopped at a light and took off in first, then you revved it to 7800 and boom. Right?"
Old Oct 25, 2007, 07:54 AM

for the price you put into your sti. the power you recieve back is not worth it. the $ put into an evo. ull get what you spend. plus. 2.0 vs 2.4
Old Oct 25, 2007, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mayhem13
First off, greetings EvoM!. I'm new to posting on this forum, I usually stick to iwsti and nasioc.

Now, I am seriously considering selling my 05STi and picking up an Evo IX.

The reasoning behind this is that, as I mod my sti, I've reached the point where I am wondering if it is worth the serious $$$ investment to get what I want out of my car. I am trying to build a daily-driven car that will be tracked occasionally. My future upgrades for my sti are going to include GT30r, 35r, or GT52 with all supporting mods, full suspension, brakes, etc...

However, as my intended mod path progresses I am also considering a built block and other costly mods.

Finally, when i bought my STi, I was also shopping for an evo IX but I got a great deal on my car...until that point I was torn between the two.

So, the reason I am considering sellin my sti and buying an evo is 1. 4g63 engine 'stronger' then sti ej25. 2. evo 'cheaper' to mod 3. 4g63 easier to work on, as i'd have to pull the sti motor to do any substantial work (major labor costs here). ...plus I LOVE the look of a WW Evo IX. I believe that my mod path would be substantially cheaper for an evo; for example to run a 35r on an sti I would need to invest over 10k (turbo itself, supporting mods, new or rebuilt block, etc..) on the evo I believe the Buschur hta35r kit is around 4k? plus supporting mods, so maybe around 7k investment? correct me if I'm wrong.

The Question: Is it worth the trouble to sell my sti and buy an evo? What else should I consider? I've been reading this forum for a while now and I am somewhat familiar with Evo's, but what are the major known failure points? (i.e. head studs, trans. case, clutch, etc...?) I would appreciate any and all input to help me with this major decision.

Thanks everyone

-Paul

...and yes I've tried to search for info I though relevant, I'm looking for opinions here.
Go test drive one, you wont look back.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by dexmix

very high hp sti's don't run stock clutch, usually dogbox, straight cuts, that kinda stuff. But from what i've seen (and ur free to correct me here) the STi, esp. 05's tranny's are bullet proof compared to the evo's.

your right on about the torque..although i do really love how much the boxer motor torques down low around town.

and evo recaro's...don't even get me started. Every other post on iwsti is about how to swap in evo seats into the sti, or where to get them, etc...all im sayin is I love the evo recaro's, but I'm goin' a little slap happy and ordering some nice new Gias' for either car...

Originally Posted by red evo8
don't sell the sti the 04 and 05 were the prime gen/model of those cars as far as modding yea evos are cheaper but a nicely tuned and mod'd sti done right theres no beating it plus the sound of them is just unique keep it!
umm, yea I really feel that way alot of the time, and the other part of the time i just want to sell!
!! lol

Originally Posted by all4bspinnin
^^lol because the stock turbo on the 9 is frickin huge

sti will always launch better than an evo due to the torque factor... from a roll you are correct it does not matter as much

and i will def agree with you on the topic of the evo seats... the evo 9 recaro's are really nice

as far as the sti clutch... from my experience it seems to be more durable although that does depend on the driver...

if he has an 05 sti thats a pretty good year... the 04's are a first year car so of course they have little issues here and there...

the MY05 sti has the better bolt pattern, steering, little better ecu etc

the 06 has the best ecu, with all the nice things about the 05 and it has a longer final drive that makes it much faster on the highway... 3.54 in 06 vs 3.90 in the 05...

comming from an sti owner, im obviously biased... i personally prefer the sti because i think the transmission setup feels better... light shifter, easy throw, like butta! the pedals are placed correctly and its just a good daily driver/speedster..

the evo is cheaper to mod and makes very nice power... just look at the pro's and cons...

i say keep the sti... buy a rotated gt30r kit, full exhaust, TGV del, meth and a tune and you have a pretty nasty lil ride

if u do go to the darkside and get an evo.... just make sure you get a 9
^^^tru, my05 sti ftw! over any other year sti (except 06...maybe).

Originally Posted by Burklow
You mentioned a built block needed for the STI. I hear that's common for 400+ WHP.

How does 600 WHP on a stock block sound? Welcome to the world of Evos.

very common..although a lot of ppl find that out the hard way.

Quick Reply: Convince me to buy EVO, and sell my STi...