Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Convince me to buy EVO, and sell my STi...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2007, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for everyone's thoughts and input. i think i have a good idea of the next step for me. It's gona be a little while before i make any moves as i don't feel like doing all that while im up at school.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

If you have never been to an Evo STI shootout, GO! You'll find out for yourself. I almost felt bad the first time I went. HAHAHA!!!

Last edited by BURNALL_4; Oct 25, 2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 08:45 PM

Have you looked at an evo and sti side by side??? That should have been enough reason....
Old Oct 25, 2007, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by BURNALL_4
If you have never been to an Evo STI shootout, GO! You'll find out for yourself. I almost felt bad the first time I went. HAHAHA!!!
lol, actually I autoX at Englishtown. I think it is awesome that the evo/sti shootout is in NJ fairly close to home!

Originally Posted by bubbagasm
Have you looked at an evo and sti side by side??? That should have been enough reason....
yup, i did a lot of comparo shopping when i was debating which car to buy. Honestly, i know everyone is a bit bias towards their car, but i love the look of both the sti and the evo equally. However, the look of a WW Evo IX is sex!
Old Oct 26, 2007, 04:18 AM
Evolved Member

sti's are nicer inside. evo interior is teh ghey
don't buy an evo because the blocks are stronger. You'll still pop it. Granted we can change our plugs in 10 mins and don't need sleeves for over 600whp. But i'm sure you'll lose money on the trade and over all its just not worth it. My evo is junk. The paint sucks, the brakes are faded, and the wing is faded. Its fast as ****. but damn. junk

but "subaru" owners as a whole are just a different breed. There are some cool ones
Old Oct 26, 2007, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by ONRAILS
sti's are nicer inside. evo interior is teh ghey
don't buy an evo because the blocks are stronger. You'll still pop it. Granted we can change our plugs in 10 mins and don't need sleeves for over 600whp. But i'm sure you'll lose money on the trade and over all its just not worth it. My evo is junk. The paint sucks, the brakes are faded, and the wing is faded. Its fast as ****. but damn. junk

but "subaru" owners as a whole are just a different breed. There are some cool ones
yea, trust me suby paint is teh suck for sure. I love my interior though. Thats my prob., idk if its worth the risk of losing money on a trade. Still the idea won't leave my mind. I have to think on it more i guess.

..I suppose from the context of the statement your not a huge fan of subaru owners. well to each his own. (I'm a cool one though ) nothing but love for both sti and evo a like.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 10:35 AM

I have been reading nasioc/iwsti and evolutionm for years now. Some of the topics here are what swayed me to purchase a SGM 06 STI. It's my daily driver and I plan on keeping it stock (HA, I know...right) for the duration of the warranty (2 more years.)

If I was looking for something a little more harsh and I wanted to go ***** out, then I would have opted for an Evo. Frankly, some of the threads on this forum scared me away from the Evo. People popping stock engines, blowing off intercooler piping and all kinds of other quirks put me off somewhat.

The STi feels extremely civil and tame but provides enough of a fun factor to keep me satisfied for another two years in stock trim. The only mod I'll be doing in the near future is of the driver variety .

Different strokes, it's all a matter of personal preference.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by BigNutzMcGee
I have been reading nasioc/iwsti and evolutionm for years now. Some of the topics here are what swayed me to purchase a SGM 06 STI. It's my daily driver and I plan on keeping it stock (HA, I know...right) for the duration of the warranty (2 more years.)

If I was looking for something a little more harsh and I wanted to go ***** out, then I would have opted for an Evo. Frankly, some of the threads on this forum scared me away from the Evo. People popping stock engines, blowing off intercooler piping and all kinds of other quirks put me off somewhat.

The STi feels extremely civil and tame but provides enough of a fun factor to keep me satisfied for another two years in stock trim. The only mod I'll be doing in the near future is of the driver variety .

Different strokes, it's all a matter of personal preference.

I started out in the same boat as u in the beginning. I was looking for a 'civil' dd car. But the mod bug has bit me bad haha. I agree that some of the threads on the evo forums scarred me initially, however i feel like that did also blind me to the potential downsides of a high hp sti. idk now, but i think the best thing for me to do is first decide on whether or not i want more of a drag car, or an autoX car, since its basically impossible to have a car that will excel at both.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:36 AM
Account Disabled

evo=sexier looking, cheaper to mod, easier to mod

sti= ugly
Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Dude, between the two, get the Evo. If you care about reliability, get a Civic.

But I agree completely with ONRAILS comment. That's why I'm in the Porsche (which, is a pita to work on, and mods are stupid expensive, but it doesn't need them, nor does it need anywhere near as much work as the Evo did, stupid Mitsubishi)
Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Keep the Sti so I can continue to beat you and your buddies.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:43 AM

well it's not that i expressly care only about reliability. i know in the mod game u pay to play. What i'm talking about is a car that is relatively 'reliable' enough. not one that is constantly going to be in the shop.

I'm leaning toward an evo right now though.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mayhem13
I started out in the same boat as u in the beginning. I was looking for a 'civil' dd car. But the mod bug has bit me bad haha. I agree that some of the threads on the evo forums scarred me initially, however i feel like that did also blind me to the potential downsides of a high hp sti. idk now, but i think the best thing for me to do is first decide on whether or not i want more of a drag car, or an autoX car, since its basically impossible to have a car that will excel at both.

Just because most comparisons give the STi's interior the nod over the Evo's doesn't mean you will after driving both. A friend of mine has a Saab 92-X (Saabaru ), which has the exact same dashboard as the STi and two-tone leather/suede instead of the horrid Smurf blue cloth. It's nice, but after driving it, I can honestly say I wouldn't trade interiors with him if I had the chance. The IX interior is just fine for me.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Blitz
Just because most comparisons give the STi's interior the nod over the Evo's doesn't mean you will after driving both. A friend of mine has a Saab 92-X (Saabaru ), which has the exact same dashboard as the STi and two-tone leather/suede instead of the horrid Smurf blue cloth. It's nice, but after driving it, I can honestly say I wouldn't trade interiors with him if I had the chance. The IX interior is just fine for me.

I agree. At first the interior's were a selling point for me, as I wanted to be comfortable as my car is a dd. However, I'm at that point where I care more about function over form. So while I'm not a huge fan of the evo interior it is still nice.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 09:11 AM

update...humm two of my suby buddies just sold their cars, I know at least one of them was looking into a new Evo. Damn it seems like everyone is jumping ship on the suby forums!

Quick Reply: Convince me to buy EVO, and sell my STi...