Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Convince me to buy EVO, and sell my STi...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2007, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1.Go to local Mitsubishi dealer
2.Test drive the Evo
3.Fall in love with it
4.Trade the the Sti for it
5.Your one happy camper
Old Jan 26, 2008, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

I honestly believe your thinkin way to much about this. Keep your STi if you have the money to mod in and like a fat ugly car.

Either way, I read all eight pages and you got some good advise from bro owners. goodluck with everything.

Jay
Old Jan 26, 2008, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
EVO is the best man. Thats all you are going to hear on this forum.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

I had a 04 STI with turbo-back headers uppipe and tune iw as a member on nasioc and i was tuned by themadscientist from that site great tuner

i love the sti it is a TQ monster but up high it didnt pull as hard as the EVo would

i now drive a 2003 evo 8 with 14k

if u see my sig it shows my mods the car is very fast pulsl very hard top end

also parts for evo are cheaper i was looking into cams for the STI they were 1100 dollars i knwo the sti has 4 cams but still so much money then to pay to install

sti is 3x harder to work on sucks were the turbos its

i think all around if u want a smooth ride with some wuickness to it i say stay with sti

if you want a rough ride but the power is great go with evo EVO - RACE STI-DD
Old Jan 26, 2008, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mayhem13
First off, greetings EvoM!. I'm new to posting on this forum, I usually stick to iwsti and nasioc.

Now, I am seriously considering selling my 05STi and picking up an Evo IX.

The reasoning behind this is that, as I mod my sti, I've reached the point where I am wondering if it is worth the serious $$$ investment to get what I want out of my car. I am trying to build a daily-driven car that will be tracked occasionally. My future upgrades for my sti are going to include GT30r, 35r, or GT52 with all supporting mods, full suspension, brakes, etc...

However, as my intended mod path progresses I am also considering a built block and other costly mods.

Finally, when i bought my STi, I was also shopping for an evo IX but I got a great deal on my car...until that point I was torn between the two.

So, the reason I am considering sellin my sti and buying an evo is 1. 4g63 engine 'stronger' then sti ej25. 2. evo 'cheaper' to mod 3. 4g63 easier to work on, as i'd have to pull the sti motor to do any substantial work (major labor costs here). ...plus I LOVE the look of a WW Evo IX. I believe that my mod path would be substantially cheaper for an evo; for example to run a 35r on an sti I would need to invest over 10k (turbo itself, supporting mods, new or rebuilt block, etc..) on the evo I believe the Buschur hta35r kit is around 4k? plus supporting mods, so maybe around 7k investment? correct me if I'm wrong.

The Question: Is it worth the trouble to sell my sti and buy an evo? What else should I consider? I've been reading this forum for a while now and I am somewhat familiar with Evo's, but what are the major known failure points? (i.e. head studs, trans. case, clutch, etc...?) I would appreciate any and all input to help me with this major decision.

Thanks everyone

-Paul

...and yes I've tried to search for info I though relevant, I'm looking for opinions here.

if you buy an evo well 2 main reasons are

1 its a much better/faster/cooler car
2 you get to join my NEW JERSEY evo thread.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

imho it is not worth it to take a hit on your subie and then try to find an unmolested evo 9. The subie is a great car for the track if it is properly set up. Your problem is wanting to spend upwards of $15k to get 400 to 500 rwhp and handling that you will not recoup if you sell it.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

base on your title

Well you got beat by a yellow Evo 8 w stock turbo,meth and cams. lol
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

who really wants pink letters and blue carpet on thier car lol
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Dont sell your STi and get an Evo...for once I would like to see someone actually build a fast STi and not just take the easy way out for a fast car. Having owned a Slowbaru that I had put 7k into and managed 12.20's (albeit with some parts I didnt need like a Godspeed header) on racegas, it was really cool to run 12.20s on pump with the price of a TBE and me tuning (150 value)...so 1k instead.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

i was in the market for either an evo or sti.. i choose the evo because i see too many sti's around.. evo is easier to work on.. easier to mod IMO, better track car, looks better i think, and responds great to mods..and did i mention they handle sooo good? just all around a really great car.. i couldn't be any happier with my car...
Old Jul 8, 2008, 06:53 AM

keep your sti and enjoy this thing called torque...
Old Jul 8, 2008, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

if you have to be convinced then don't bother.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

I don't care about modding. I just like having something you don't see as often. You're here for a reason, you are having second thoughts which means you are not 100% happy with the STI. Make a change. You won't regret it.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you serious do you see how pretty the new evos are.. why is there even a question
Old Jul 8, 2008, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gabriel J
I made this for my friend who bought his STI earlier this year..

i know you said youre trying to build a daily driver..but i just wanted to point out dat if you go with an evo..the possibilities are almost ENDLESS.

Quick Reply: Convince me to buy EVO, and sell my STi...