Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Convince me to buy EVO, and sell my STi...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convince me to buy EVO, and sell my STi...

First off, greetings EvoM!. I'm new to posting on this forum, I usually stick to iwsti and nasioc.

Now, I am seriously considering selling my 05STi and picking up an Evo IX.

The reasoning behind this is that, as I mod my sti, I've reached the point where I am wondering if it is worth the serious $$$ investment to get what I want out of my car. I am trying to build a daily-driven car that will be tracked occasionally. My future upgrades for my sti are going to include GT30r, 35r, or GT52 with all supporting mods, full suspension, brakes, etc...

However, as my intended mod path progresses I am also considering a built block and other costly mods.

Finally, when i bought my STi, I was also shopping for an evo IX but I got a great deal on my car...until that point I was torn between the two.

So, the reason I am considering sellin my sti and buying an evo is 1. 4g63 engine 'stronger' then sti ej25. 2. evo 'cheaper' to mod 3. 4g63 easier to work on, as i'd have to pull the sti motor to do any substantial work (major labor costs here). ...plus I LOVE the look of a WW Evo IX. I believe that my mod path would be substantially cheaper for an evo; for example to run a 35r on an sti I would need to invest over 10k (turbo itself, supporting mods, new or rebuilt block, etc..) on the evo I believe the Buschur hta35r kit is around 4k? plus supporting mods, so maybe around 7k investment? correct me if I'm wrong.

The Question: Is it worth the trouble to sell my sti and buy an evo? What else should I consider? I've been reading this forum for a while now and I am somewhat familiar with Evo's, but what are the major known failure points? (i.e. head studs, trans. case, clutch, etc...?) I would appreciate any and all input to help me with this major decision.

Thanks everyone

-Paul

...and yes I've tried to search for info I though relevant, I'm looking for opinions here.

Last edited by mayhem13; Oct 24, 2007 at 11:16 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

I think you've answered most of your questions... EVO is a nicer track car to me.... That, and where I live, I see an STI 5-6 times a day, and rarely ever see an EVO... Im sure its different other places... EVO is a hell of alot easier to work on yourself...
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
read my sig

i have yet to see any sti around this place run anything in the 12's lol

all your pros for the evo are correct... the cons are the sti seems to be a little more reliable as far as tranny issues go and seems to have a few more luxury type items compared to the evo being a raw machine.

you wont regret the swap is all ill say.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:20 AM

wow, fast response...thanks bigric09. appreciate the input.

nice numbers, i've always been impressed with what an evo can put down on a dyno.

ooo i forgot to mention, I have plans to invest the necessary money into either car, but for some reason my the Evo is becoming more and more appealing to me.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Punkskalar
I think you've answered most of your questions... EVO is a nicer track car to me.... That, and where I live, I see an STI 5-6 times a day, and rarely ever see an EVO... Im sure its different other places... EVO is a hell of alot easier to work on yourself...

your correct punkskalar, I've done ALOT of technical reasearch on the subject. The opinion of evo owners is what i'm after, as I am really really on the fence right now.
(but more technical info is always appreciated )
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

i have yet to see a sti respond to mods the way a I-4 does, boxer motor ftl
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

we have a local shop that caters to STI's.... i cant tell you how many of those guys i pull up next to, show them my dyno charts on top of theirs and they practically cry lol. Then we will all go on a cruise and only one can barely keep up with me until i hit up top.... he has built heads, cams, upgraded turbo, you name it, he has it, cant keep up .....

as i said, you wont regret the swap. If you want a racecar, the evo is the way to go....if you want something that is quick, looks nice and is a little softer to the touch, then your sti is where you want to be.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EclipseMblue
boxer motor ftl

And Porsche?
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Punkskalar
That, and where I live, I see an STI 5-6 times a day, and rarely ever see an EVO... Im sure its different other places...
this is the same in Orlando (or at least where I commute daily in the Winter Park area.) Way too many STi's running around

I do agree with Punk that you have answered a lot of your own questions. To me an Evo is much better, in the fact that it is easier to work on, and cheaper to mod. When I first looked at getting an Evo, I looked at STi's and after a lot of research and reviews, and also a big influence from overall look of the car, I chose the Evo.

Good Luck in your search.

Max
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

ever tried working on a porsche ? lol.....

they are nice cars, very quick, handle nice.... lets compare price tags now
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by bigric09
we have a local shop that caters to STI's.... i cant tell you how many of those guys i pull up next to, show them my dyno charts on top of theirs and they practically cry lol. Then we will all go on a cruise and only one can barely keep up with me until i hit up top.... he has built heads, cams, upgraded turbo, you name it, he has it, cant keep up .....

as i said, you wont regret the swap. If you want a racecar, the evo is the way to go....if you want something that is quick, looks nice and is a little softer to the touch, then your sti is where you want to be.

Thats the nail on the head, I've come to realize that in order to get my sti to similar evo hp numbers I'm going to have to spend almost 2x the money. I'm almost 22 and I want a 'streetable' race car. comfort is secondary to performance to me. when i bought an STi, i was more concerned with creature comforts. But in the end I'd forgo a/c, radio, etc.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Im talking about the boxer motor comment.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by madmax0124
this is the same in Orlando (or at least where I commute daily in the Winter Park area.) Way too many STi's running around

I do agree with Punk that you have answered a lot of your own questions. To me an Evo is much better, in the fact that it is easier to work on, and cheaper to mod. When I first looked at getting an Evo, I looked at STi's and after a lot of research and reviews, and also a big influence from overall look of the car, I chose the Evo.

Good Luck in your search.

Max

thanks max. Honestly i love the look of my sti, but evo's are still amazing looking too.

yes, and omg what a pita! and porsche is a bit out of my price range right now ( after all im still in college here, i just happen to have a job that affords me the ability to mod my car )
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mayhem13
Thats the nail on the head, I've come to realize that in order to get my sti to similar evo hp numbers I'm going to have to spend almost 2x the money. I'm almost 22 and I want a 'streetable' race car. comfort is secondary to performance to me. when i bought an STi, i was more concerned with creature comforts. But in the end I'd forgo a/c, radio, etc.
Comfort-wise, just think of it this way: you'll be trading squishy blue Subaru seats for black alcantara Recaros.

I will say, though, that the STi's instrument cluster OWNS the Evo's, but I still wouldn't trade my car for one in a million years. It sounds like you've made up your mind already, but here's some more fuel for the fire: turboback, drop-in, MBC and flash get you nearly 350 whp with the IX on pump gas.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Blitz
Comfort-wise, just think of it this way: you'll be trading squishy blue Subaru seats for black alcantara Recaros.

I will say, though, that the STi's instrument cluster OWNS the Evo's, but I still wouldn't trade my car for one in a million years. It sounds like you've made up your mind already, but here's some more fuel for the fire: turboback, drop-in, MBC and flash get you nearly 350 whp with the IX on pump gas.

yea i sat in a buddy's evo Recaro's and i didn't want to get up! I also agree, I love my interior, i honestly think the interior of the evo is 'cheapish' looking in comparison, although neither one is a mercedes.

And I'm still having a really hard time with the decision simply because my STi has alot of sentimental value to me, plus I'd be selling a car that doesn't have ANY reliability issues right now for a big question mark (as I'd be buying a used evo). right now i honestly don't know...

o yea, and my butt currently sits in a Bride : )

Quick Reply: Convince me to buy EVO, and sell my STi...