Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Weird issue- possibly plugs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2007, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by precisi0n
br8es are too cold for those mods
this is not true
Old Oct 26, 2007, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Ah what?

Originally Posted by tcollins
Um, those are the $2 plugs verses the $20 IGR7A-G's? Even the defunked Iridium plated Champions I had were like $8->$12 each. You're driving a race car. Its going to cost like a race car.
That's about the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. The br8es is a great plug for your evo. You may want to close the gap a little.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
That's about the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. The br8es is a great plug for your evo. You may want to close the gap a little.
Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm back to the factory NGK's because of that bad experience. But I do wonder what makes up the difference in price. Iridium seems more expensive by default. But what do you get for the extra $18?
Old Oct 27, 2007, 12:42 AM
Evolved Member

I've been running this same plug in 2 strokes since 1980 just 1 step hotter. They just plain work and don't foul if you use the right heat range.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Copper plugs are run way better in my EVO than the stock IR. Just have to change the out sooner.

Are you using the stock airbox?
Old Oct 27, 2007, 06:04 AM

+ 1 on the possible spark blowout

I've encountered the same issue on rare occason... Pretty much as full boost hits, it sputters and looses power...

I could also hear it, sounded electrical, like a series of small pops. Luckily I was logging at the time... It registered as knock, but it was false...

I was told not to start with the gap of the plug... That would just be a band-aid... If it continues to happen look into the coil or wires (and new plugs)

Is your tune completely finished? If the car is still running rich, that might be contributing.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Walker
+ 1 on the possible spark blowout

I've encountered the same issue on rare occason... Pretty much as full boost hits, it sputters and looses power...

I could also hear it, sounded electrical, like a series of small pops. Luckily I was logging at the time... It registered as knock, but it was false...

I was told not to start with the gap of the plug... That would just be a band-aid... If it continues to happen look into the coil or wires (and new plugs)

Is your tune completely finished? If the car is still running rich, that might be contributing.
yeah my tune is finished. I have since went back to BPR7ES and my car runs like crap now! It does pull harder but it sputters really bad, its not smooth running like it was with the BR8ES. I bought a set of BR7ES to see if its going to make a difference.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Copper plugs are run way better in my EVO than the stock IR. Just have to change the out sooner.

Are you using the stock airbox?
No
Old Oct 28, 2007, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by frenchy99
yeah my tune is finished. I have since went back to BPR7ES and my car runs like crap now! It does pull harder but it sputters really bad, its not smooth running like it was with the BR8ES. I bought a set of BR7ES to see if its going to make a difference.
WOW! I just barely got done putting BR7ES the stutter is barely noticeable! I Guess, I'm going to stick with these for now. Man I hate 91 octane with a passion. I Think the BR8ES was too much for my mods! Thanks guys for the advice!
Old Oct 30, 2007, 09:08 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I spoke to frenchy about this...

his tune was done pre walbro 255 install so he's going to be retuned for that...I'm sure it's incredibly rich and I also suggested to go ahead and close the gap on the plugs to .023 instead of the stock .026 on those plugs.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by tcollins
Um, those are the $2 plugs verses the $20 IGR7A-G's? Even the defunked Iridium plated Champions I had were like $8->$12 each. You're driving a race car. Its going to cost like a race car.
After trying numerous Irdium plugs, i'm back to BPR8ES

More mod's than this guy, so he's probably better with a 7.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mellon
I spoke to frenchy about this...

his tune was done pre walbro 255 install so he's going to be retuned for that...I'm sure it's incredibly rich and I also suggested to go ahead and close the gap on the plugs to .023 instead of the stock .026 on those plugs.

I did thanks for the advise....I will be sending you my rom soon just been busy! Mellon FTW
Old Oct 31, 2007, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Post oe spec plugs*

sounds like spark blow out---* also, you are not supposed to gap the plugs on the evo's you can damage the plug , and run into weird driveability problems etc.

Old Oct 31, 2007, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by novem
sounds like spark blow out---* also, you are not supposed to gap the plugs on the evo's you can damage the plug , and run into weird driveability problems etc.

Uhm you can gap copper tip plugs!
Old Oct 31, 2007, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

umm...I said I was referencing what the OEM was calling out.