Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

No 02 Dump in the market?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2007 | 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sooooooooo??????? Any of the guys who said they're going to start making them, any news? I'm getting antsy

I'm starting to put together my mod list for mid winter - early spring. I want to know whether or not to include just an o2 housing, or o2 dump
Old Nov 28, 2007 | 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DR
I have a notion:

...When using an o2 dump we can expect to control boost more precisely....i.e. eliminate the spike..... The o2 dump isnt gonna help us keep higher boost at redline (or is it?). It simply reduces the chances of overboosting, a condition plaguing our small quick-boosting turbos. Opinions?
If what Big Al is saying about O2 dumps reducing overall exhaust backpressure is true, then it might tend to increase any tendency toward boost creep, since a reduction in backpressure will allow the turbine wheel to increase rotational speed, thus incrementing compressor speed proportionally. So, it would tend to increase boost wouldn't it?

On the other hand, the O2 dump would allow more efficient waste gate bleed flow, thus, maybe it would accomplish what you are suggesting. That is, it would allow more positive boost control and reduce overboost tendencies(spiking).

Now, I am totally confused .
Old Nov 29, 2007 | 02:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MP Fabrication just finished putting the O2 dump on my friend's car last week. He's still got it at the shop and I'm hoping to swing by soon to check it out. He made a jig for the piece, so I'm sure he's able to make more easily.

If you guys are interested, why not just give him a call? The shop number is (205)985-1953. Walker is the guy you want to talk to. You could maybe e-mail or PM him as well ... he usually gets back to me quickly when I do that.

Last edited by TouringBubble; Nov 29, 2007 at 12:20 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2007 | 02:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
If what Big Al is saying about O2 dumps reducing overall exhaust backpressure is true, then it might tend to increase any tendency toward boost creep, since a reduction in backpressure will allow the turbine wheel to increase rotational speed, thus incrementing compressor speed proportionally. So, it would tend to increase boost wouldn't it?

On the other hand, the O2 dump would allow more efficient waste gate bleed flow, thus, maybe it would accomplish what you are suggesting. That is, it would allow more positive boost control and reduce overboost tendencies(spiking).

Now, I am totally confused .
The dump should allow the wastegate to do it's job a little easier since it doesn't have to compete with the exhaust flow from the turbine. The backpressure decrease will be minimal on the turbine side (given the flow ratio between the turbine and wastegate port), so you shouldn't get more creep from that alone. Maybe a little more boost potential, but not boost creep.

EDIT :: Let me rephrase this ... boost creep is usually caused by limited flow through the wastegate, not too much flow from the turbine. Reducing back pressure will increase the efficiency of both the turbine and the wastegate, likely resulting in better, faster wastegate response and higher potential boost levels.

Last edited by TouringBubble; Nov 29, 2007 at 06:51 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2007 | 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
MP Fabrication just finished putting the O2 dump on my friend's car last week. He's still got it at the shop and I'm hoping to swing by soon to check it out. He made a jig for the piece, so I'm sure he's able to make fairly easily.

If you guys are interested, why not just give him a call? The shop number is (205)985-1953. Walker is the guy you want to talk to. You could maybe e-mail or PM him as well ... he usually gets back to me quickly when I do that.
take some pics if you can... it would be greatly appreciated
Old Nov 29, 2007 | 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

I'll try to get some pics for you guys.
Old Nov 29, 2007 | 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

I'll try to get some pics for you guys.
Old Nov 29, 2007 | 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Actually, Walker was able to post some stuff before I could get down there. Check out this page ... http://www.mpfab.com/dumpatron/. If I can get down there soon I'll try to get different pics. Maybe he'll have one on the bench.

He also made a video it seems. http://www.mpfab.com/MPFabO2Dumpatron.mpg. It definitely sounds mean! I can't wait to go for a ride with Cesar when he gets the car back.
Old Nov 30, 2007 | 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Actually, Walker was able to post some stuff before I could get down there. Check out this page ... http://www.mpfab.com/dumpatron/. If I can get down there soon I'll try to get different pics. Maybe he'll have one on the bench.

He also made a video it seems. http://www.mpfab.com/MPFabO2Dumpatron.mpg. It definitely sounds mean! I can't wait to go for a ride with Cesar when he gets the car back.
dude that is awesome! they got the pics and a video up as well... to mpfab!
Old Nov 30, 2007 | 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Bada$$, I just send them an email regarding this. Hope it doesn't cost too much!
Old Nov 30, 2007 | 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Guys, I'm tuning the car with MPFab's new O2 dump tonight. I'll post my thoughts when it's done.
Old Nov 30, 2007 | 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Subscribed to the thread. And mark me down for one.
Old Nov 30, 2007 | 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Finally!!!! I'll have to be buying an eBay o2 here soon
Old Dec 13, 2007 | 10:36 AM
QTP
Former Sponsor

Update: We are finishing our 02 housing with wastegate dump it is on the test car now and we are just making minor fixes to it and then it will be up for sale. Thank you
Old Dec 13, 2007 | 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by QTP
Update: We are finishing our 02 housing with wastegate dump it is on the test car now and we are just making minor fixes to it and then it will be up for sale. Thank you
any pics?

Quick Reply: No 02 Dump in the market?