Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

No 02 Dump in the market?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2008 | 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Id like to see before and after results on a dyno by just adding this o2 housing dump and no other changes.

300$ for this piece is a little extreme aswell.
Old Jan 6, 2008 | 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

I don't this piece helps dyno no's as much as it helps with regulating creep and controlling boost better - just my 2 cents!
Old Jan 6, 2008 | 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ Well it definitely doesnt help your spelling or grammer, thats for sure.

Its a nice piece and yes, It has been proven to add more power, as it is letting even more exhaust gases out quicker.
Old Jan 6, 2008 | 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 90GSXDan
^^^ Well it definitely doesnt help your spelling or grammer, thats for sure.

Its a nice piece and yes, It has been proven to add more power, as it is letting even more exhaust gases out quicker.
wow such a contributor to these boards, you are i can be useless and repost whats already been said too.

It adds power and lets exhaust gases out faster and yes I'm an engineer thats how i know.
Old Jan 7, 2008 | 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

200 for modifying an ebay o2 housing is pretty steep IMO.
If nothing better priced comes along I would probably just try and fab my own or take it to a local shop..
Old Jan 7, 2008 | 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 90GSXDan
^^^ Well it definitely doesnt help your spelling or grammar, thats for sure.
Fixed that for you.

Old Jan 7, 2008 | 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GTLocke13
Fixed that for you.

Haha, that's classic
Old Jan 7, 2008 | 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by red evo8
It adds power and lets exhaust gases out faster and yes I'm an engineer thats how i know.
What type of engineering degree do you have to understand how this works?

Creep does not come from the output side of the dump, it comes from any restrictions in the exhuast housing (aka wastegate passage) Just adding a dump will do nothing but make your car louder and smell worse inside.

Also by stating it dumps it out quicker, that is also saying that a 3" exhuast is to small and going bigger would help at the same time BUT WAIT!!!

DB did a back to back with a 3" and 3.5" and noticed hardly any gains. This tells me at around 600whp, a 3" exhuats flows plenty well and any gains from a external dump would be a placebo from the sounds it makes.

Next.
Old Jan 7, 2008 | 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

ha
Old Jan 7, 2008 | 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dennis F
that is also saying that a 3" exhuast is to small and going bigger would help at the same time BUT WAIT!!!

DB did a back to back with a 3" and 3.5" and noticed hardly any gains. This tells me at around 600whp, a 3" exhuats flows plenty well and any gains from a external dump would be a placebo from the sounds it makes.

Next.
You have to realize that the test DB did was with an open wastegate. This means that an additional 1.75" column of exhaust is bypassing the exhaust system all together. So in effect it like he has a 4.75" exhaust on the car 3"+ 1.75". On my own car routing the exhaust from open dump to recirculating it back into the exhaust system killed 35whp(470whp car). Trap speeds also dropped from 120's to 117mph reconfirming this. I rerouted it back out and changed to a larger turbine housing and the car now traps 124 on pump gas When you vent the wastegate outside of the exhaust system you increase the efficiency of the whole exhaust system by a huge amount.

Last edited by Drifto; Jan 7, 2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2008 | 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

I think the dump would HELP with creep, but not completly get rid of it. Most people probably don't have creep problems with the stock turbo anyway, and if they do... the o2 housing probably isn't the problem..

Although, I'm sure it defiantly does help with the overall exhaust flow. Didn't Al from DynoFlash do a dyno test awhile ago? The results were pretty significant if I remember correctly.

Theorectically, it SHOULD make for better flow. And of course, sound badass. Some don't like the sound, and that's understandable, but I for one think it sounds burley as hell
Old Jan 8, 2008 | 04:24 AM
Evolving Member

Creep comes from the wastegate passage in the hotside, so even putting a 4" dump does nothing for it.

I saw no change in any data from my Talon with open or recirculated dump. None.

When you are running higher boost, your wastegate is also opened less. Lets say your gate hole is 30mm (never measured) when running 24psi, the gate only opens a fraction of that allowing minimal exhaust gases to escape.

Maybe the Evo is slightly different to respond to this mod, but my DSM did not. Airflow remained constant, same with IDC and calculated power output via DSMLink.
Old Jan 8, 2008 | 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Creep comes from the wastegate passage in the hotside, so even putting a 4" dump does nothing for it..
Not true in this case. Early testing with smaller diameter "dump" showed big time creep in the upper middle 5.2K- 7K. Turbo would spool to 23 then @ 5.2k it would climb to 27 and hold there until after 7K where it would taper off due to the turbo running out of breath.

I saw no change in any data from my Talon with open or recirculated dump. None.
Al Friedman tested one and I believe the found an additional 14whp over the regular e-bay style housing. It was posted on this forum some time ago.
Old Jan 8, 2008 | 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

I have caught Al in a lie before, so his data is unacceptable to me.

How long was this dump? What was the ID of said dump? What was the ID of the wastegate passage?

When you are running higher boost, your wastegate is also opened less.
To keep boost up, the wastegate will close some(using an EBC) Not all the way, but it does close more the more boost you are running to maintain it.

If you have had a car on the dyno with an external, it is much louder when running lower boost because it opens more to get rid of more gas, and is quieter when running high boost, to keep the turbine spinning.

Therefore, an external does nothing. Again, these are my findings through data aquisition through DSMLink. Airflow, IDC's and a/f ratio remained constant.

If those remain constant, how can there be more power?
Old Jan 8, 2008 | 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Creep comes from the wastegate passage in the hotside, so even putting a 4" dump does nothing for it.
This seems to be a very general statement. Restriction anywhere in the system that reduces the flow capability of the wastegate could cause creep.

Now, it may more commonly be caused by restriction at the wastegate passage itself ... that I don't disagree with. And, if the creep is caused by the wastegate passage itself, you are correct in saying that a external dump will not help the issue.

I witnessed the same creep instance that Drifto is referring to. After increasing the diameter of the pipe the creep subsided.

Quick Reply: No 02 Dump in the market?