Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

No 02 Dump in the market?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2008 | 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Burklow
14 WHP...I'm speechless! I guess I better start counting up my money. I'd like to get one soon, but I may be forced to buy one a little further down the road. Maybe this'll take me to 340+ WHP on a dynojet, but I won't know until I get one. Very exciting! Thanks for the big update! We all appreciate it.
You ain't kidding.... This one part would get me over 400 AWHP... I just needed 9 more hourses... But I'll take the 14

I'll like to see just how much I can get out of it..
Old Apr 17, 2008 | 11:26 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buschur Racing tested the standard tubular O2 housing with no dump to +15whp on the Mustang Dyno. I hope the test isn't comparing gains over a stock O2 housing.
Old Apr 17, 2008 | 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Buschur Racing tested the standard tubular O2 housing with no dump to +15whp on the Mustang Dyno. I hope the test isn't comparing gains over a stock O2 housing.
Where are those results at?
Old Apr 17, 2008 | 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LilRico
Where are those results at?
I'm interested too. I've never really seen massive gains from an O2 housing. About 5-7 WHP, but tuning is the most important factor for the gains.

Technically speaking, the O2 dump should be more efficient than a regular O2 housing.
Old Apr 17, 2008 | 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...2&postcount=20

I'll make a few notes here ...

DB found 13 hp, not 15. He also ran more boost with the O2 housing in place and could not back it down for a solid comparison. What he says about not seeing knock with the increased boost backs up what Street Tuners said about more room to tune.

EDIT: Also, the 13 hp noted includes gains from the Full Race header that was still installed, which made 2+ hp over the stock, ported manifold used in the baseline.

Last edited by TouringBubble; Apr 17, 2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2008 | 12:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Our comparison was dependant on a solid baseline pull. We have tried to be as honest about this as is possible, Im not going to quible about what other shops did. We ran the same boost, basicly the same parameters as our baseline pull.
We are in this process for the long run to hold a good reputation as is possible in this business. We've worked very hard on this and have tried different avenues that did Not play out for us. That is why we are on proto #4, when we realized our goals. But it took a while and lots of trial and error. Our first proto showed small gains, we ditched it in favor of a different design. This is documented in our postings.
We'll have those sound/video clips for you as soon as we can. I think you all will hear the power...lol...
Old Apr 17, 2008 | 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

very nice... did you have to stock o2 on as a baseline, or the megan (ebay) o2?
Old Apr 17, 2008 | 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

Is your O2 dump still on the backburner?
Old Apr 17, 2008 | 05:00 PM
4DR
Evolved Member

A good point. I think the "room for improvement" during tuning is where we should see gains beyond an aftermarket o2...
Old Apr 17, 2008 | 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i wanna hear it and i want one
Old Apr 18, 2008 | 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4DR
A good point. I think the "room for improvement" during tuning is where we should see gains beyond an aftermarket o2...
Guys, please re-read David's post with the results from the eBay O2. He saw gains in boost of 1psi to 2psi with the O2 housing installed and couldn't turn it down because of the wastegate. That is the the extra tuning room on the recirculating O2 housing and it's reflected in David's results.

David tested the O2 on a highly tuned vehicle that was pretty much running at full potential (as he states in the post) and made 13 whp with the O2 and the Full Race header. From what I gathered from the rest of that thread, the O2 housing only made 10-11 whp at 23psi with the Buschur ported and coated manifold that was used in the baseline.

Now, David didn't specifically tune for the O2 housing. He only made sure that AFR was the same. He didn't touch the timing. I can't say how much more power he could have tuned out of it, but I've got a feeling that the extra psi he recorded was very close to the limit of tuning potential.

Street Tuners is running a completely stock manifold as seen in the photos he posted. I think that the dump tube would have more potential for power with a better flowing manifold and would even have a little more room for tuning with a manifold installed as well.

Street Tuners is also running ~24psi (tapering to ~20.5psi @ 7300) and boost was consistent from the baseline (as recorded in the ECU 2-byte Load% values). Timing was added to the tune of 1º to 2º in some areas of the rev band, which may or may not be comparable to the 1psi to 2psi that was added in David's test. I have no way to know.

I know some of this is speculation, but comparing to David's test as TTP has done isn't really an apples to apples comparison. Both parts make power. It seems that the O2 dump has slightly more potential for power than the recirculating dump, which makes sense. I'm sure we can all agree that one test is not the end-all be-all of product results.

Now, let me draw attention to something I see in the results ...

Notice where the largest gains are ... from about 4000 to 6300 or so. This is the area of the rev band where turbine RPM really begins to climb and the wastegate needs to vent the most to regulate boost. These results really do show why this part makes power. When the wastegate vents it no longer introduces turbulence in to the exhaust flow.

Gains taper off toward 7000 RPM as exhaust flow through the wastegate drops as it closes in attempt to hold more boost. This makes sense as there would be little turbulence at this RPM since the wastegate is mostly closed.

That said, it seems logical to me that the greater the exhaust flow, the more benefit this part will give over the recirculated O2 housing. I can see this part being a great bolt on for the Green or other stock replacement turbo.

Last edited by TouringBubble; Apr 18, 2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2008 | 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evolved83
very nice... did you have to stock o2 on as a baseline, or the megan (ebay) o2?
The stock O2 housing was used in the baseline.
Old Apr 18, 2008 | 09:12 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The higher the rpms, the LESS the wastegate needs to vent with a small turbo running out of flow.

David's testing was done on one of the LOWEST READING Mustang Dyno AWD500 units in the country.

David did not use some freeware program to ESTIMATE Dynojet type numbers.

You want to test it directly against the DB testing, I urge you to obtain your results on a real dyno.

Unfortunately BR did not test the trapspeed of the tubular unit at the strip, otherwise it would also be a good indicator of performance.
Old Apr 18, 2008 | 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

I am a big believer in trap speeds being the best indicator of real power.

I'd imagine as soon as these units go for sale, and people start installing them, we will see both dyno sheets and traps of their results. I'm certain I'll be hitting the local dyno if/when I get one.

Let me ask this for comparison: how well did DSMs do with open O2 dumps? Was it no more effective than a regular O2 housing or were the gains something to really rave about? I'll have to ask my DSM buddy next time he's around.

Last edited by Burklow; Apr 18, 2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2008 | 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

The higher the rpms, the LESS the wastegate needs to vent with a small turbo running out of flow.
I said that Scott ... gains fall off as the WG closes. WGDC% logs support what I've mentioned. The WG vents heavily until around 6000 RPM and then begind closing fairly rapidly as revs continue to rise.

David's testing was done on one of the LOWEST READING Mustang Dyno AWD500 units in the country.
Yes, it was.

David did not use some freeware program to ESTIMATE Dynojet type numbers.
DLL is not freeware. I'd be hesitant to say whether DLL reflects a certain type of dyno's numbers. DLL graphs of my personal vehicle show less HP than DynoJet graphs, but I honestly don't have a solid comparison.

You want to test it directly against the DB testing, I urge you to obtain your results on a real dyno.
It was never our intention to test directly against David's results. You did that.

Unfortunately BR did not test the trapspeed of the tubular unit at the strip, otherwise it would also be a good indicator of performance.
I agree.

Last edited by TouringBubble; Apr 18, 2008 at 09:29 AM.

Quick Reply: No 02 Dump in the market?