Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

No 02 Dump in the market?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2007 | 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would go for something like this instead for stock turbo vehicles.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...lectric+cutout

Something didnt look right about that modded ebay housing....

I thought the o2 dump was supposed to be on the wastegate side? IDK, im probably just tired.
Old Nov 3, 2007 | 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

I think you may be very tired because if you look, the pimp dumping into the atmosphere IS on the wastegate side.

Also, an electric cutout wouldnt do dick, because the purpose of the 02 dump is to let out the exhaust gases from the wastegate side as fast as it can in order to help and or eliminate boost creep....

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 3, 2007 | 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

That downpipe doesnt do dick? Right.....Ive only seen 20whp gains pretty quickly.

Anyways

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/p...oo-turbo-1.JPG

Theres your 16g turbo. So with the o2 housing in the first link, bolted up, your telling me that the dump is on the side of the wastegate?

Its looks to be squarely in the exhaust of the turbine, which flows exhaust constantly, not just when the wastegate vents pressure from the manifold inlet, bypassing the turbo.

Im looking at it wrong im sure, but every 02 housing Ive installed, that looks incorrect.

Last edited by feldguy; Nov 3, 2007 at 08:31 PM.
Old Nov 3, 2007 | 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mpfab isn't responding. what other vendors would be interested ? someone start a group buy interest thread.
Old Nov 3, 2007 | 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 90GSXDan
Just to let you know slow crx, there really isnt much of a difference between the 02 dump and the dump off an external wastegate, once they both open, they are dumping exhaust gases into the atmosphere....
Trust me, I know that all too well. I built my first boosted car in 1997, and old 88 Lx-I Accord with an Audi external wastegate dumping to atmosphere. I've had 8 boosted honda's since then and a first gen eclipse, now an '04 wrx and my evo.

On topic, it would be interesting to see if there is a marked increase dumping to atmostphere.
Old Nov 4, 2007 | 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

i remember reading about a 14whp increase..im trying to dig it up..cant find it right now.
Old Nov 4, 2007 | 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mpevo8
i remember reading about a 14whp increase..im trying to dig it up..cant find it right now.
If it really is that much I think it would be well worth it, might also make emissions inspections a pita for the guys who do have that. If you find a number on it, see if you can get the list of supporting mods as well.
Old Nov 4, 2007 | 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by feldguy
That downpipe doesnt do dick? Right.....Ive only seen 20whp gains pretty quickly.

Anyways

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/p...oo-turbo-1.JPG

Theres your 16g turbo. So with the o2 housing in the first link, bolted up, your telling me that the dump is on the side of the wastegate?

Its looks to be squarely in the exhaust of the turbine, which flows exhaust constantly, not just when the wastegate vents pressure from the manifold inlet, bypassing the turbo.

Im looking at it wrong im sure, but every 02 housing Ive installed, that looks incorrect.
Whats funny is thats not a 16g turbo. Notice there is no flapper for the internal wastegate.... Im not saying that a exhaust cutout doesnt do dick, Im saying its not the same as the 02 dump. As the 02 dump ONLY gets loud when the flapper is fully open...
Old Nov 4, 2007 | 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

haha ya it's not a 16g ... it has a turbonetics T if you look closely ...=P
Old Nov 5, 2007 | 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

whoever emailed mpfab did you get a response yet ? i didnt get one yet.
Old Nov 5, 2007 | 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

I'm sure most companies don't make one because of the limited room to work with. But like I said before, if somebody were to make one with a 1" long dump tube, just enough to clamp on flexable exhaust tubing, you could route it where ever you want... even into the cabin if you so desire!
Old Nov 6, 2007 | 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

I spoke with Walker at MPFab, Great guy btw, and he said he would do it he just needs someone in the area of him to come and get one done. Then he would make a jig so we can send in our ebay housings and he would fab up the new 02 dump that would clear everything, cross member, licp, everything.

I trust this guy as he was VERY knowledgable, kind, and helpful over the phone which to me, is a big +1!!! Thanks for taking the time to talk to me Willis and I look foward to doing business with you soon!

Dan

Last edited by 90GSXDan; Nov 6, 2007 at 11:20 AM.
Old Nov 6, 2007 | 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 90GSXDan
I spoke with Willis at MPFab, Great guy btw, and he said he would do it he just needs someone in the area of him to come and get one done. Then he would make a jig so we can send in our ebay housings and he would fab up the new 02 dump that would clear everything, cross member, licp, everything.

I trust this guy as he was VERY knowledgable, kind, and helpful over the phone which to me, is a big +1!!! Thanks for taking the time to talk to me Willis and I look foward to doing business with you soon!

Dan
Awesome cant wait!
Old Nov 6, 2007 | 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

thats what i wanted to hear ! did you show him this thread ? now all we need is that one evo to go to him ..... maybe i'll go. its only 15 hours away from me lol. i will bow down to the evo that gets this thing jigged up for the community.
Old Nov 6, 2007 | 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

i love ewg. i'd be also interested in seeing a final product

Quick Reply: No 02 Dump in the market?