Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is the exhaust heatshield neccessary because my car rattles BAD!?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2007, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Is the exhaust heatshield neccessary because my car rattles BAD!?

I've just about had it with the rattles under the car. Didn't do it before I put the exhaust on and I'm almost positive its the friggin heatshield.

I've cut small peices off the heatshield which I thought were causing the problem but everytime I go to take it out to see if I fixed it, theres still a rattle.

Some day this week, I'm going to un hang the exhaust and take or cut off 95% of the heatshield to make sure I don't miss anything.

Also when I shift at redline theres something rattling that seems to be in the engine area on the bottom. Any ideas? Only when I redline shift or over.

Oh and if it makes a difference, some of the rattles go away once the car heats up and has been driven for a couple mins. My goal no matter what if friggin takes is to get rid of all the rattles no matter if the car is hot or cold. No reason random parts on the car should be rattling.

I tried heatwrapping part of the exhaust that was hitting the side of the undercarriage and it worked for a while then started doing it again.

Also tried kartboy hangers and the rattling continued. Hangers didn't stop ONE rattle. Actually they did for a week or two then they came back and where there everytime I drove my car.

Drives me nuts....almost to the point to make me want to get rid of the car because the rattling is so bad and goddam annoying. I seriously can't own a car that sounds so ****ty and I love my car to death.

EDIT: keep in mind that when I wrote this I just got finished working on it for 2 hours and didn't do a damn thing. So I'm kinda venting....sorry.....
Old Oct 30, 2007, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which heat shield do you have? there's a metal one and a carbon fiber one made by a couple companies like Rexpeed.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SkylineMyth
which heat shield do you have? there's a metal one and a carbon fiber one made by a couple companies like Rexpeed.
What ever the stock one is made of that is soft as hell.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

It sounds like hes talking about the stock exhaust heat shield, keep me posted. I had some work done about a month ago and have gotten what I think sounds like a heat shield rattle at idle now. Its driving me crazy.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also had a rattle thought I fixed by cutting a bolt, which was hitting my cat back at take off, start up, or anytime the engine RPMs would be quite low. It's now back as well and PISSING me off. Looks like we're both going to be doing some more cutting...
Old Oct 30, 2007, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Damn well I'm glad that I'm not the only one having this problem.

It's so annoying because I don't always like listening to music when I drive, yet I've been listening a lot lately to escape the rattling.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SkylineMyth
I didn't realize until now that you must of thought I was talking about the heatshield that goes right above the exhaust tip that you put on your rear bumper.

The shield I'm talking about is under the car and covers almost the entire exhaust. From the test pipe to almost the rear axle. About 3 1/2 feet I'd guess.

Looks like a ***** to remove as well...

Anybody have any tips on removing it?
Old Oct 31, 2007, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

oh ok, don't really have any tips, but I'm sure you could do without it, but I'd ask anyone running a TBE
Old Oct 31, 2007, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

or u can always heatwrap it and paint it hightemp ceramic black paint to keep it waterrproof and stealthy then u wont need the shield. shield does have its functions though.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by damstr
I've just about had it with the rattles under the car. Didn't do it before I put the exhaust on and I'm almost positive its the friggin heatshield.

I've cut small peices off the heatshield which I thought were causing the problem but everytime I go to take it out to see if I fixed it, theres still a rattle.

Some day this week, I'm going to un hang the exhaust and take or cut off 95% of the heatshield to make sure I don't miss anything.

Also when I shift at redline theres something rattling that seems to be in the engine area on the bottom. Any ideas? Only when I redline shift or over.

Oh and if it makes a difference, some of the rattles go away once the car heats up and has been driven for a couple mins. My goal no matter what if friggin takes is to get rid of all the rattles no matter if the car is hot or cold. No reason random parts on the car should be rattling.

I tried heatwrapping part of the exhaust that was hitting the side of the undercarriage and it worked for a while then started doing it again.

Also tried kartboy hangers and the rattling continued. Hangers didn't stop ONE rattle. Actually they did for a week or two then they came back and where there everytime I drove my car.

Drives me nuts....almost to the point to make me want to get rid of the car because the rattling is so bad and goddam annoying. I seriously can't own a car that sounds so ****ty and I love my car to death.

EDIT: keep in mind that when I wrote this I just got finished working on it for 2 hours and didn't do a damn thing. So I'm kinda venting....sorry.....
The heat sheild is designed to prevent you from lighting your car on fire from driving through high grass and/or leafs. It really isnt necessary but depending on your state it may be required on your car. I would look into it. I am in FL so they dont care of you drive down the street sitting on a milk crate with no doors or windows as long as it is insured and registered.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

Mine had a horrible rattle after I installed my turbo back. Even though it looks like there is plenty of clearance between the exhaust and the shield, it shifts and makes contact eventually. Mine was making contact on the o2 sensor and near the resonator. There doesn't even have to be contact... The rattle can also be generated from sympathetic frequencies.

An easy way to determine exactly where it's making contact is to rub some thick, dark grease on the edges of the shield and drive around a while. When you get back under the car, look and see where the grease has been rubbed off. Those will be your problem areas. Simply bend or cut those parts of the shield until you kill the rattle.

Also, make certain that if your using a mechanical CEL fix that it is securely tightened. That can generate a rattle that sounds a lot like the heat shield.

Last edited by Grey Razor; Oct 31, 2007 at 07:12 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

i had seen a post a while back about a fix for the heat shield rattle..

if i remember right they put a screw through the heat shield and pinned it back away from the exhaust
Old Oct 31, 2007, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Well I'm devoting the rest of my day to stopping this once I get home.

I really don't want to take it off but cutting it doesn't seem to be working.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

i have the same problem. i have a AMS TBE w testpipe and it does all of the same things. pisses me off!!! im takin the shield off or wraping my whole TBE. i need help to
Old Oct 31, 2007, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

Just wrap that section, it'll look cool and get rid of a piece of metal that really has not that much use lol