Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo Weigh Day article... interesting!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2007, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't forget there is manufacturing variation due to manufacturing tolerances on all the parts. I'd say there could be a 5 to 15 lb. variation from car to car.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SPANKED
Don't forget there is manufacturing variation due to manufacturing tolerances on all the parts. I'd say there could be a 5 to 15 lb. variation from car to car.
I doubt that very much. I think manufacturing tolerances are much closer than that.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 10:45 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
its interesting that the SSL is the heaviest yet has the best weight distribution.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blitz
"The 6-spd's gearing advantage is nonexistent, so avoid the more costly MR and MR-SE if you are shopping simply for the best performance and class competitiveness in an EVO."

He must not ever accelerate from 4th gear on the highway. That's where the MR's extra gear makes a big difference.

Anyway, thanks for sharing!
Dumbest statement i've heard in awhile. If your in 6th gear it comes in handy even though the final gear ratios are near identical from the 5spd to the 6spd. In MR's you have to shift more and the tranny is extremely weak. Not worth the extra dough....
Old Oct 31, 2007, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by MR Turco
its interesting that the SSL is the heaviest yet has the best weight distribution.
Maybe we should all throw in that sub into our trunks.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 11:28 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
Maybe we should all throw in that sub into our trunks.
haha i didn't even think of that as a factor but it makes sense.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Funny thing is that the sub box is pretty light. It the sunroof motor, leather seats, hid's, and amplifier underneath the seat.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

^ But I'd assume that the front axles would shoulder most of that weight
Old Oct 31, 2007, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Obviously not since the article proved that wrong. If you take a look the SSL is the heaviest but has the best weight distribution of all the models. Because of the Evo's natural stance I would take a guess at stating that anything behind the front clip/ firewall would probably have more effect on the rear axles than the front.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMEVOLUTION
Obviously not since the article proved that wrong. If you take a look the SSL is the heaviest but has the best weight distribution of all the models.
I realize that, as I posted up that article. I'm just saying that was my assumption when I first thought about it, but now that I look at the car from its side view, it makes sense for those things to help balance out the weight based on their location.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 05:05 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

All i have to say is the 100 extra lbs is worth the weight. The leather and sunroof make me happy
Old Oct 31, 2007, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
On a IX 5-sp, the first four gears are basically the same as the first four on the MR 6-sp. The 5 gear on the 5-sp is between the 5th and 6th gears ont eh 6-sp.

On the VIII 5 sp, the first four gears are longer then the IX 5-sp or the 6-sp.
I know that, hence the "accelerate from 4th gear" bit, as the difference between shifting into 5th in the 5-speed and 5th in the 6-speed would be most noticeable then.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMEVOLUTION
Dumbest statement i've heard in awhile. If your in 6th gear it comes in handy even though the final gear ratios are near identical from the 5spd to the 6spd. In MR's you have to shift more and the tranny is extremely weak. Not worth the extra dough....
We all know that the 6-speed isn't really any better when cruising in top gear. That's not what I meant. You can't deny that the 5-speed could use an extra gear between 4th and 5th.

Considering how much smoother the 6-speed feels, I don't mind shifting more. And it isn't "extremely weak." It just isn't as strong as the 5-speed, which isn't saying much. We've had what, 2 or 3 failures? And both after extended road race sessions. Out of how many 6-speed Evos running around? I'd take my 6-speed over a 5-speed for daily driving/occasional racing anyday. Just because you wouldn't doesn't mean it isn't worth the extra money to some.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the hood on my GSR is aluminum

Good article nonetheless

"The GSR model is the base EVO, but oddly enough it doesn't say "GSR" anywhere on the car. People that know EVO's know what it means, so we'll move on. Cloth interior looks lightweight, but the steel roof and hood are going to add some pounds. Let's look at the weights:"
Old Oct 31, 2007, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blitz
I know that, hence the "accelerate from 4th gear" bit, as the difference between shifting into 5th in the 5-speed and 5th in the 6-speed would be most noticeable then.
Perhaps you should've made it more clear, as saying "accelerating in 4th gear" will more than likely be translated as just flooring the pedal in that gear, nothing more. It doesn't include shifting into the next gear, which you didn't really mention specifically, hence the confusion.

Quick Reply: Evo Weigh Day article... interesting!