Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Long Distance Travel??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2003, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speed!!!!!! mmmmmmm

i wouldn't worry about it breaking down. its a new car and you will not be using the clutch much on the expressway so it should not go out. just go.. have a good time.. and post some pics of the country side
Old Jul 22, 2003, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

I drove from Houston to Colorado and put 3,300 miles on the Evo in one week and loved every stinkin' minute of it. I think I let my wife drive for about 30 miles of that trip after I had been driving for 10 hours straight. I was comfy the whole time. You do need to take a break if you are getting loopy though as the car reacts so quickly to minmal inputs that it can get dangerous.
Old Jul 22, 2003, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

I've driven the car back and forth from KC to Chicago three times. Only about a six hour trip door to door, but still...

Lots of fun. only thing to remember is this car is scary fast on the highway - the difference between 90 and 110 is about a milimeter of pedal travel.

Paint chips are a way of life on the highway, as previously mentioned. Try to avoid getting too close to the back of other cars, or you will end up with nice little chips on the front of the car.

And be prepared to wash a lot of bugs out of your intercooler after you're done. Mine looks like a bugcatcher after a Chicago trip...

Strongly suggest a good, thick wax job on the front bumper. Hood, mirrors, and quarter panels if you've got time. Hell, whole car if you've got time...

(ot: wizard, love the sig. That's great. )
Old Jul 22, 2003, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The whole way there just keep on dreaming about those twisties just east of Colorado Springs. :
Old Aug 5, 2003, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

I drove from Texas to Ohio last weekend.. got two tickets along the way. Other than that it was great fun. The seats are supportive and more comfortable over the long haul than a plush seat would be.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Holy **** !!!! I just finished driving from So Cal to No VA... 2,700 miles and 35 hours. WHEW

The Evo ran great - and that is with a bunch of mods. I am sure a stock car wouldn't run into any problems whatsoever. I made sure I let it cool down at gas stops (popped the hood, let it idle for about 10 minutes, etc.). Also, since Tennessee, I have been able to get 93 octane instead of 91. Nice.

My back got a little sore, but for all that driving, the car is very comfortable. I ran the A/C almost the whole way and it never came close to overheating, even in New Mexico where it was 106. And I was boosting, too - I punched it to 140 a couple of times.

The Evo is very confidence-inspiring in the rain, too, even with the stock tires. I was in the middle of the worst rain I've seen in my 31 years and the car stuck like glue - I even piled it on and was going 80+...

I am very impressed and happy I have the Evo. If you are worried about the reliability, it is nothing to concern yourself over.