Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Power Steering Delete...Bad Idea ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2007, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have any friends with an Evo get them to let you drive in a big, empty parking lot and turn the key off while doing ....say 20 and try and turn!!! Almost impossible! I learned this lesson by the Good ole HKS BOV! lol After the second time i almost crashed when the car died in the middle of a turn i sold that piece!
Old Nov 11, 2007, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo8Emperor
Just so people know i didnt do the clutch i had someone do it. It was a friends father who i trust very well. He thought it would just be easier seeing he has a garage and every tool possible
yea i guess all the big name evo shops dont have enough tools to pull a motor for a clutch job....
or its just pointless and a lot easier to pull the tranny
Old Nov 11, 2007, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
people always amaze me.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 09:36 AM
Account Disabled

any compitent mechanic/machine shop will be able to pull what's left of that banjo bolt out of the pump. They will be able to pull it out for under $30.

The Evo has an EXTREMELY tight steering ratio. It is not like other cars you have driven without power steering. you can't compare a honda with 185 series tires and a 4 turn lock to lock to an Evo with 235 series tires and a 2 turn lock to lock. ("I've picked up a cat before and it was easy to do bending my knees, so I should be able to pick up an Elephant... there both mammals, right?")

They are two different beasts... Fix the pump, it's your only option.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Power Steering Delt? Surrrre if you wanna look like Popeye.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Forget about this idea and spend your time locating a replacement bolt.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After not having p/s in the last few cars Ive owned and having p/s now, its like a dream come true.Keep the p/s!
Old Nov 11, 2007, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks CO for the link to that pump but if you look at it where the hose connectts and that metal piece is sticking up thats the bolt that broke. It not that the bolt broke inside the pump its that for what ever reason when he went to take it off the top of it is a bolt that your untightening and some how it snapped the bolt that the power steering line is bolted to. The bolt is what im talking about. The threaded part on top is what snapped. I had a diagram i was going to post but the file is to big to attach.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
that is a drag car only application

No its not i have drove 3 evo without power steering and its fine to drive on the street once the car is moving your alright.

BUT one day you will need to jerk your wheel to change lanes and you might not make it in time. Therefore carshing your car and once again raise insurance rates.

So bottom line if you havnt driven a car daily without power steering dont take the risk. My friends 1973 R100 Mazda is just as stiff as the evo's and that car has been crashed 3 times because he couldnt turn the wheel quick enough to avoid what was on the road.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 10:13 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jmartinez1170
No its not i have drove 3 evo without power steering and its fine to drive on the street once the car is moving your alright.

BUT one day you will need to jerk your wheel to change lanes and you might not make it in time. Therefore carshing your car and once again raise insurance rates.

So bottom line if you havnt driven a car daily without power steering dont take the risk. My friends 1973 R100 Mazda is just as stiff as the evo's and that car has been crashed 3 times because he couldnt turn the wheel quick enough to avoid what was on the road.
okay let me think about this...you tell me it's NOT a drag race only application

BUT

you proceed to say in daily driving instances (quick swerving to avoid a braking car) it's not safe

you are moron and once again I repeat

no power steering on an evo should be strictly for a drag application
Old Nov 12, 2007, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
okay let me think about this...you tell me it's NOT a drag race only application

BUT

you proceed to say in daily driving instances (quick swerving to avoid a braking car) it's not safe

you are moron and once again I repeat

no power steering on an evo should be strictly for a drag application
Why dont you try it BEFORE YOU KNOCK IT. The shop car at the place i go to doesnt have power steering for some time now. No problems on his end. It only takes a week to get use to.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
people always amaze me.
Hilarious isn't it? An Evo, unfortunately isn't a Civic my friend. We actually have real tire sizes on our cars so power steering is a must.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

I did know people would get so offended about asking such a simple thing. It was like i just called your mom a Fat **** or something. All i did was ask an opinion of how it would be and if there anything i needed to get. Also in the manual it says that car is equipped to drive with out power steering so i guess mitsu must have thought it may not be needed for everyone and there application.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 03:00 PM
Account Disabled

Where in the manual does it say that the car is equipped to drive without power steering?
Old Nov 13, 2007, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo8Emperor
I did know people would get so offended about asking such a simple thing. It was like i just called your mom a Fat **** or something. All i did was ask an opinion of how it would be and if there anything i needed to get. Also in the manual it says that car is equipped to drive with out power steering so i guess mitsu must have thought it may not be needed for everyone and there application.
There is no offense. We are merely pointing out the fact that the power steering delete would be a bad idea especially for a daily driver.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Delete...Bad Idea ?