Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Power Steering Delete...Bad Idea ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Power Steering Delete...Bad Idea ?

Ok so when i pulled my motor for the replacing the clutch going to take off the power steering line on the top of the pump the bolt snapped that its bolted to. So it comes off the pump but they dont sell it and my only option is to buy a new pump. I was thinking instead of just pulling off the power steering altogether. They say they come equipped to drive without it it'll just be hard when im going slow and such. What do you guys think good idea or bad ? The pump is 570$ through mitsubishiparts i went through russel. He was great helping me figure out my options sending me diagrams and we concluded that was the only thing to do if i wanted to have my power steering back.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:51 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why in the hell did you pull the motor to do a clutch job?
Old Nov 10, 2007, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

drill out bolt, retap hole........ and yes why did you pull the engine to do the clutch?????? maybe you should take the car to someone who knows what they are doing
Old Nov 10, 2007, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Because he's driving an EvoX.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by srt2evo
Because he's driving an EvoX.
EvoX's are not available in the US yet...
even if it was a X, i highly doubt you would even need to pull the motor anyway.

is it the bolt that broke? if so just go the hardware store and get a bolt...it doesnt need to be a mitsu bolt to fit
Old Nov 10, 2007, 07:55 PM
Account Disabled

F*** it dude, you'll have bigger arms without power steering. I guarantee you'll get a workout everytime you drive.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
EvoX's are not available in the US yet...
even if it was a X, i highly doubt you would even need to pull the motor anyway.

is it the bolt that broke? if so just go the hardware store and get a bolt...it doesnt need to be a mitsu bolt to fit
Some people can't seem to take sarcasm/dry humor. Oh well.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ehhh
i wasnt bagging on you dude..
must of been some inside thing i missed...lol

i feel like an *** now
Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah... driving without power steering .... you dont know what your in for do you?
Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:18 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
that is a drag car only application
Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

If its a daily driver it will suck not having power steering. Have you even driven a car without power steering? It makes you not want to drive the car anymore especially if you parallel park.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

I drove my friends hatchback w/o power steering. It is a pain going slow and turning into/out of parking spots. You will def get a arm workout!!
Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:48 PM
Account Disabled

removing the power steering on a car that was equipped with power steering isn't as simple as removing the pump.

on power steering racks, the power steering fluid is the lubrication for the rack. If you just pull the pump, then as you turn your steering wheel, the fluid will spit out the lines till the rack is dry... then as moisture enters the system, your rack will rust and seize, you crash and die or kill someone else.

You can make a custom line that connects one end of the rack to the other, but the fluid transfer through the line will slow steering, also as temperature increases, so will the pressure in the system and you will have issues.

The correct way is to make custom lines that go to a "**** tank" which is just a resevoir with both lines connected and a vent. You fill the **** tank with fluid and voila

However with the width of the tires, the weight on the front wheels and the steering ratio, you will be in a world of hurt if you remove the power steering system.

Fix what you broke... that's gonna be the easiest solution
Old Nov 11, 2007, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Just so people know i didnt do the clutch i had someone do it. It was a friends father who i trust very well. He thought it would just be easier seeing he has a garage and every tool possible but anyway i have driven cars with out it and it does suck going slow but other than that its easy to drive when in motion. I was just wondering what people thought.I can just replace the bolt its a part of the pump that is a whole Banjo Bolt assembly. I already looked it up with Russel and the only option is a new pump at 600$. And i didnt break it and it wasnt my mech. fault either it had just snapped going to take it off. Everyone always gotta be so sarcastic asking a simple question trying t get an opinion on. Thanks to anyone else who actually took the time to tell me there honest input.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Which bolt did you break? I'm sure that your pump can be repaired, and any capable machine shop should be able to help you out with that.

Another easy option would be to buy a replacement pump on E-Bay. They're there all the time. For example, here's one that's pending now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...spagenameZWDVW

Quick Reply: Power Steering Delete...Bad Idea ?