Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

undertray advice please?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2007, 12:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
undertray advice please?

Do i really need a undertray? I mean does it help from water splashing up and rusting parts? I dont really go for the whole thing about it helps cool the engine. I currently am not running any undertray at all. If i do need to get one i would like some people to chime in and give me some good recommendations with some reasoning as to why i should go with that certain undertray. Buschur, beatrush, and carbing or oem. Any body know which one is the lightest? Any body using the buschur undertray i havnt heard much on that one?
Old Nov 13, 2007, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

i keep my undertray on. i even modified the oem undertray to fit my AMS FMIC. i think the main reason i keep it on is in case my LICP pops off somehow. i've heard some stories of people running over their LICP after it popped off. also it keeps gravel from getting kicked up in there. i've driven around the block without the undertray and i could hear all the gravel being kicked up.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 12:29 AM
Evolved Member

The gravel and rocks being kicked up alone should be enough to make you want to keep something under there. The big thing for a lot of racers is that with the undertray, it helps reduce front end lift, so high speed corners can be taken at higher speeds due to less lift. Less lift means more traction thru turns, therfore more speed. I'm not sure, but I've also heard that it promotes better areodynamics due to air flowing freely under the car for straightline people. There is a review I believe of the beatrush one on the review section on the left side of the EvoM home page. Read up! Might help you make a decision.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 12:30 AM
Evolving Member

i had to get rid of my stock one in order to fit the ams fmic ,,, i now got the beatrush ...
love it and yes it helps from all kinds of stuff kicking up in there ,, and since the winter is comeing you need it !!!
Old Nov 13, 2007, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

i am going with beatrush if they still have them in stock
Old Nov 13, 2007, 02:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say keep the tray on.Its there for a reason and should benefit you to have it on the car rather than not on the car.Im sure its kept me from messing something up on my car.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 02:16 AM
Evolving Member

i got the carbing .. love it !
Old Nov 13, 2007, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bboy_RES
i keep my undertray on. i even modified the oem undertray to fit my AMS FMIC. i think the main reason i keep it on is in case my LICP pops off somehow. i've heard some stories of people running over their LICP after it popped off. also it keeps gravel from getting kicked up in there. i've driven around the block without the undertray and i could hear all the gravel being kicked up.
Originally Posted by BGevoIX
The gravel and rocks being kicked up alone should be enough to make you want to keep something under there. The big thing for a lot of racers is that with the undertray, it helps reduce front end lift, so high speed corners can be taken at higher speeds due to less lift. Less lift means more traction thru turns, therfore more speed. I'm not sure, but I've also heard that it promotes better areodynamics due to air flowing freely under the car for straightline people. There is a review I believe of the beatrush one on the review section on the left side of the EvoM home page. Read up! Might help you make a decision.
these two got it right
Old Nov 13, 2007, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

search for it, there are several threads about failed engines because of rocks ripping off the oil filter...
Old Nov 13, 2007, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

what you really need is to search
Old Nov 13, 2007, 08:25 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The BR one is nice and priced well. I also like the ones mentioned above.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I pulled that darn thing off day 1.

Unless you plan on rally crossing or snow drift pounding I doubt it does much if anything. My car sees a ton of track duty. Have it off allows for better jack access and engine inspection. If a coupler were to come loose is very hard to fix with the big plastic cover hiding the pipe and preventing access to it.

I think the majority of folks have removed it.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
personally, i don't have one, thought about getting another, but to me it isn't worth it. all i had to do was fix the part with the corner of the lip so it doesn't hang off
Old Nov 13, 2007, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

with undertray on = protection and aerodynamic effeciency BUT big PITA to get under engine access.
with undertray off = easy access BUT NO protection from dirt and debri.
took mine off but replaced it with the APR front splitter...also covers the bottom of the engine bay...still gonna be up to you to decide.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
undertray good for: winter time, when your licp pops!(you never know), aerodynamics, i belive it will cool your tires more on hot days.

bad: hard to take of front bumper when your licp' pipes pop! lol everyone knows that, the worst thing? try to work on the car and drop some screw, bolt,nut lol.

I say if you're done moding the car, keep the under tray on, it keeps the engine bay more clean...

I want to put an undertray soon, because of winter time/****ty weather but i dont think i will be able to

Quick Reply: undertray advice please?