Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Should i trade in my 02 ws6 trans am for a EVO??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2007, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YellowEvoPiKa
hey guys so yea... im in a hugeeeeeee dilemma..... i have been admiring evos for some time now and i finally decided im seriously considering to maybe trading in my 02 trans am for a evo... the reason im considering on a evo also is cuz i live in CHICAGO so the weather conditions are beyond terrible in the winter or im just sick of fish tailing in rain constantly and not to mention the evo has alot more room over the ws6, i normally can only drive 2 other people not counting me =/ so what do u guys think.. should i do the trade in?? also do they make a 05 evo in yellow or evo 9's in yellow??? thanks guys ill be looking forward to your opinions and thoughts, be as honest as possible......
I currently own two LS1's.....a 98 C5 Vette and a 2002 SOM WS6. My daily beater is a 2001 modded 1.8t Jetta. I had been searching for the SOM WS6 for 3+ years in that color when i came across the EVO 8 in 2005. I drove the EVO 8 and was impressed I was ready to make the deal when i came across the WS6 on autotrader....an 02 SOM, MINT w/15,xxx miles. Had to fly out to get it in Ohio and drove her home the same day. If I never saw that WS6 ad, i would be driving an VIII right now. Regardles, i still plan on getting a IX sometime in the near future. I just dont want to give up the C5 or the WS6. My point: its a tough call man....if it wasnt for the Sunset Orange Metallic paint and it being in mint condition, i wouldve sold the WS6 and gone with IX.....I have the EVO bug...and soon the Jetta will be replaced with an IX Good luck on making up your mind....they are both amazing cars.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 05:21 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WS6 specs? - May be interested. . Also click my car FS link in my sig.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
I dont know why people post these questions on here. This is an Evo website, what do you think people are going to say?
Old Nov 14, 2007, 05:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TeStUdO
I dont know why people post these questions on here. This is an Evo website, what do you think people are going to say?
True, most of the opinions will be biased, but there is a bunch of people here that have already made the switch that the op is considering, and their advice might be what the op is seeking.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

how much you wanna sell the TA for???? =)
Old Nov 14, 2007, 07:56 AM

I am in the same boat but i think the EVO is going to be the right choice. I need the larger back seats for a car seat and after taking my T/A up a mountain and sliding all over the place. I cant tell you how pissed i was when i saw the local AWD club continuing on while i was turning around to go back down.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

This is an EVO forum of course everyone os going to say yes. Get the IX the MIVEC has more tuning capability w/o cams
Old Nov 14, 2007, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by 808EVOVIII
do it but, ur gonna miss the old saying "there is no replacement for displacement".
Yes there is... Forced Induction.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 08:21 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Red Sox
Yes there is... Forced Induction.
No that's not a replacement, it's an advantage if the larger displacement motor doesn't have it. What happens when the big displacement motor starts pushing boost?
Old Nov 14, 2007, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Brian_H
No that's not a replacement, it's an advantage if the larger displacement motor doesn't have it. What happens when the big displacement motor starts pushing boost?
Then we're screwed... in the straights.

Thats not what I was getting at. My point is that we don't need a huge V8 to get great performance out of an Evo. With the right mods and tuning, we can get a 400+ HP daily driven Evo.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

i traded in my 03 SVT Lightning for my evo ix.. i really miss my L, and that instant tq hit when i mashed the throttle, but i love the evo. i can fit my whole family in it, and in the rain i have no fear. i cant wait for snow to fall this year so i can see the difference.. my other car was a mustang 5.0 that i also sold once i bought the evo.. i get reasonable fuel mileage (average about 22 for mixed driving, compared to the 12 i got in my L). i dont regret my decision, although i miss that instant hit. the evo makes good power, and the ix is good for high 12's or low 13's bone stock, but there is a little bit of lag when you first put the pedal down if you dont have your rpms just right. definately get a test ride in one from someone in your area, or show up to a local evo meet and check them out. at some point id like to have myself a straight line monster as well as my evo, but for now the evo is the best all around vehicle out there.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 08:57 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Ah I see. Are 400hp 'huge' v8's with an instant on powerband too extreme to dd?

Originally Posted by Red Sox
Then we're screwed... in the straights.

Thats not what I was getting at. My point is that we don't need a huge V8 to get great performance out of an Evo. With the right mods and tuning, we can get a 400+ HP daily driven Evo.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Brian_H
Ah I see. Are 400hp 'huge' v8's with an instant on powerband too extreme to dd?
No, its not too extreme, but for those who don't have the displacement, FI is the only option for power.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

I would think twice about it unless you are planning running snow tires in the snow. I was in a similair position when I bought my Evo Lighting Yellow by the way. I live in Ohio and figured with good All season tires I would be fine in the snow. It is drivable but still not much fun. I found the ABS is why to touchy in any amount of snow and it is pretty quick to slid if you hit ice. For me I still prefer to drive a 4x4 in the winter. Now if you have snow tires I am sure it would be different.

Now for the rain the car is great I had a Z-28 before this and there is no compasion in the rain. I can drive the Evo the same as I do when it is dry out.

I like my car but when I am done with it I may just go back to a V8. The turbo lag you get and the lack of instint torque other people talk about does get annoying sometimes. Don't get me wrong if plan for when you want the power it is great but if not you always have that slight delay there.

Also Lighting Yellow I think was only made in 03 and 04. Sorry for the book just trying to give you some useful info.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

If you want to go fast on corners get the evo but i kinda miss my ls1

Quick Reply: Should i trade in my 02 ws6 trans am for a EVO??