Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Should i trade in my 02 ws6 trans am for a EVO??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DO IT!!! Get rid of your car, you will not regret it!!
Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

thats ur call man....i love the muscle cars....i got a 98 cobra that got a fully built motor with a paxton blower...i just couldnt see to get rid of it..so i kept it a=nd bought an evo also cuz its more practical. no body wants to drive a 650hp mustang everyday ha...the evos fun/reliable/fast/and gets traction what more do u want?....i say trade the trans am just cuz i hate them sry bud lol
Old Nov 14, 2007, 03:23 PM

yea im not really goin to be drag racing im jus looking for a fun reliable daily driver car that i dont have to worry about when it rains or snows that i could modd lightly
Old Nov 14, 2007, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DSMorBUST
ugh! do it already... get rid of that americant get traction.. and step up to some Turbo+AWD goodness and you can get an evo 8(03-05) in yellow but not a 9(06-07)........ but what you could do is get a yellow 8 and pick up a 9 front bumper and jdm rear and get them painted and put on...... it looks pretty hawt!!
thats not true, i have a buddy with a ls1 that cuts 1.4 60ft's and runs low 10's with some decent mod's
Old Nov 14, 2007, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Having driven an Evo for a few months and driving a few LS1's and living in chicago, I'd say it's a toss-up. There's actually snow on the road here for like five days per winter. The LS1 will be faster dollar for dollar. But it will be immensely difficult to make it outhandle a stock Evo. I never did drive an F-body in the rain, though and on stock tires, you'll barely notice water on the road.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Definately do it, you also said it, snow, rain, etc. I think it will very well fit your criteria of fast, roomy and appropiate for the weather conditions.

Carlos
Old Nov 14, 2007, 04:03 PM

how come u sold ur evo's??
Old Nov 14, 2007, 04:14 PM

I traded a 2002 ws6 for a IX. Sometimes I miss it, but the EVO is great all around. It handles better. To me it seams that the ws6 had more pull up top. But from a stop light the EVO is faster. The big plus is you get some snow tires you can drive it year round. Hope that helps you.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Coming from a domestic-only background, maybe I can provide a slightly less biased view than some of the others here

They're very different beasts. The LS1 has massive potential, just like the 4G63, and it has torque and a sound that a 4-cylinder can never hope to equal. That said, boost is a hell of a lot of fun, as is AWD. People tend to underestimate the handling capabilities of F-bodies (especially here) - with some suspension mods they can be very competitive on a road course or autocross. That said, the Evo is without question the lighter, nimbler, and overall more balanced vehicle. The driving experience the Evo provides is like nothing else near its price range - a feeling of such connection to the car (and the road). The feedback through the steering, suspension, transmission, and brakes is just amazing. However, there's nothing quite like being able to roast the rear tires off with the sound of a nice cammed V8 roaring. Furthermore, the LS1 is in some aspects the more daily-drivable car - you don't have near as harsh a ride to deal with, nor as much road/tire noise. On the other hand, the Evo is very easy to drive (light clutch, shifter that isn't overly notchy, etc.) - couple that with the cargo space, open seating position, and ease of ingress/egress, and you need not make that many sacrifices.

For me, I sold my Stingray in favor of something I could drive year-round. That didn't leave many options and the choice towards the Evo was simple after checking out both it and the STi. I don't regret the purchase one bit, and I am generally a die-hard domestic guy. Owning the Evo has broadened my horizons somewhat though.

I'm not sure how relevant this may be, but I find the LSx community to be - on the whole - much more mature than the Evo community. They are two different cars and thus attract very different crowds.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:13 PM

but see now the question is having the car is stick and ive only driven stick once in my friends and i didnt do that bad actually... would i be able to catch on quick? or would it become a pain in the *** in the long run lol?
Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a 2001 Trans Am and drove it from stock to 800whp. It was fun it was too much and I got rid of it and got my Evo. It is a completely different ride. Take it from me because I live in florida and it rains all the time. The Trans Am does nothing but fishtail and just doesn't feel so safe on the highway in the rain. With the Evo I never have to question the safety of my driving. Just makes it more fun to drive. Also the Evo is a very easy car to drive.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

ive never driven a transams but rode my brothers c6 corvette for three months, all i can say is wow, it had a cam, full exhaust including headers and a some tune. If i could have a dd and a weekend car that would be the one, the power it has and the way it sounds is just out of this world. Given one had the money how many would trade for one of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxKap-ZOI0g
Old Nov 15, 2007, 05:44 AM

your not in a huge dilema Evo's are amazing get that instead