Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Should i trade in my 02 ws6 trans am for a EVO??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2007, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should i trade in my 02 ws6 trans am for a EVO??

hey guys so yea... im in a hugeeeeeee dilemma..... i have been admiring evos for some time now and i finally decided im seriously considering to maybe trading in my 02 trans am for a evo... the reason im considering on a evo also is cuz i live in CHICAGO so the weather conditions are beyond terrible in the winter or im just sick of fish tailing in rain constantly and not to mention the evo has alot more room over the ws6, i normally can only drive 2 other people not counting me =/ so what do u guys think.. should i do the trade in?? also do they make a 05 evo in yellow or evo 9's in yellow??? thanks guys ill be looking forward to your opinions and thoughts, be as honest as possible......
Old Nov 13, 2007, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

ugh! do it already... get rid of that americant get traction.. and step up to some Turbo+AWD goodness and you can get an evo 8(03-05) in yellow but not a 9(06-07)........ but what you could do is get a yellow 8 and pick up a 9 front bumper and jdm rear and get them painted and put on...... it looks pretty hawt!!

Last edited by DSMorBUST; Nov 13, 2007 at 11:24 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 11:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
do it you will get hooked on the evo
Old Nov 13, 2007, 11:24 PM

Well, your answers are going to be a little biased on here. Just keep that in mind. In my opinion yes, do it. I also live in an area where the snow is unimaginable and it just makes driving an evo that much more fun! I say go for it.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

If you end up trading it in which I recomend doing, im kind of parcial to the evo. gor either an 05 VIII or a IX.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do it!
Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:11 AM
Evolving Member

just do it
Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:28 AM
Evolving Member

Depends....on the price difference...LS1s are monstrous with the right mods ....if the price difference is close to 20 grands I would consider a beater and build that LS1 for turbo or spray to dominate ....it also depends on what your goals are...you want shear straight line performance then I would keep the LS1...if you want some twisties in the middle go with the Evo...I would think the main plus that LS1s have on our car is making allot of power on pump gas, see, but allot of people dont climb to these power levels anyways. You can make 500hp with the Evo on pump no problem ( which is allot for a DD), but then it only gets harder.

Again, tell us what your future plans for the car ...if you are big on drag racing then keep the LS1...if you want a wholesome package take the EVO.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:52 AM
Evolving Member

I came from owning 2 LS1 WS6's before going to the Evo. It was the best decision I ever made. I mean I loved having that car and it's ridiculous power, but I have always been into cars that can go fast and handle really well. The WS6 handled well for what it was, but there's really no substitute for a car that can take 90 degree turns at 90 mph. As mentioned earlier, your goals should really be brought to mind aside from the fact that the car is roomier. I've had friends who went from LS1's, Cobra's, ZO6's, etc. to Evo's and ended up going back because they sucked at driving and would blow up tranny's and transfer cases because they were only interested in drag racing.

If drag racing is your thing, then the Evo is most likely not for you. If you're interested in having some REAL fun in a car, then definitely go with the Evo.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 01:00 AM

i traded my 98 ws6 for my 9 and im glad i did..... cant wait for the snow here in colorado .....
Old Nov 14, 2007, 04:20 AM
Evolving Member

i traded my Lexus GS 300 for an Evo IX, i dont regret it at all, dont get me wrong, Lex
was a great car overall, never broke down on me, but Evo is just a different beast, i love when the boost comes on, its such an adrenaline. and if you feel like its slow after a while, you have a lot of options to make it faster, and its not that expensive. For winter you need to change the stock tires for winter tires, or all season tires. Evo IX doesn't come in yellow.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 04:41 AM
Evolving Member

do it but, ur gonna miss the old saying "there is no replacement for displacement".
Old Nov 14, 2007, 04:43 AM
Account Disabled

go take one for a ride and decide from there, they are two totally different cars...
Old Nov 14, 2007, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

Post this on ls1.com hahah =p

Seriously though, they are two entirely different cars made for entirely different purposes, I suggest finding someone local to take you around in theirs and do some pulls to see if you like the difference...

You're used to INSTANT torque, and while the Evo does make quite a great deal of torque it does not make it straight off idle like the LS1 motor will.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 05:02 AM

I'll echo that it depends on your goals for the car--if you prefer straight-line performance, the ws6. If you prefer refinement and handling, the evo. If you prefer cheap upgrading and fixing, the ws6. More sophistication and the ability to stay on the road with big power, the evo. If you prefer being awesome, the evo. If you like being totally lame, the ws6 (j/k).

Quick Reply: Should i trade in my 02 ws6 trans am for a EVO??