Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

mitsu not to warrantee any more clutches

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2003, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by bpclements
My clutch is almost done and I have only 4000 miles on her. I am getting it looked at monday along with my tranny.
Ok that's it I am just paranoid. My clutch is fine. This is my first manual and I just got a little freaked when the clutch would engage a little higher on the pedal. Normal stuff.
Old Jul 21, 2003, 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

ok, I just got my evo 3 days ago, I know about mitsu and thier wimpy clutches / clutch assembly. just for comparison, the 2001 Eclipse GT I traded in for the Evo, the clutch bearing was making noise at 5500 miles (REALLY bad racket). I basically took it easy after that and babied it.

Onto my Evo, please, someone tell me, is the throw out bearing on my Evo supposed to make noise when let out in neutral (like my dang Eclipse GT... not AS bad, but IT DOES MAKE NOISE..... I have never owned an automatic car since ive been driving, hence, i know my way around clutches.... and to me this IS NOT NORMAL....

one more item I read in this thread, about the decel noise the tranny makes.... should I be too concerned about this? I thought the reason this was happening (making noise) cuz this is a beefy *** tranny, its SUPPOSED to make that noise... please correct me if i am wrong.

-Voodoo
Old Jul 22, 2003, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Without rereading every single thread on this issue I think its safe to say thats it's all related to the clutch assembly, and not necessarily the disk itself.
Old Jul 22, 2003, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Throw-out bearings are noisey in nuetral with the clutch out.
All cars make some noise, as long as it is not LOUD there is nothing to worry about.
The trans is noisey also. No one has yet to pin down that noise. Mitsu says it the gears and it's normal. Some say it's within the clutch assembly.
Old Jul 22, 2003, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look at the current issue of SCC and you will see that in the Evo vs. 911 vs. M3 vs. S4 that the Evo tested had a slipping clutch. Now they did state that the car used had already been used in some other tests, but have they done the same with other cars and had the same issue? I would like to think that this is possibly the begining of a nationally syndicated publication having the same problems of other owners. One of the other large magazines is doing a long term test on the Evo (I forget which) so maybe in the long term test the same problem will show up. If so then it would be more fuel to the fire that there is a problem that Misubishi needs to address. Having the problem in a widely read publications own cars where many people including the manufacture can see it might bring some attention to the issue. We can only hope that the bad results of a long term test will make Mitsubishi actually do something about it. All big companies sometimes have to do a recall if it is a known problem across the board. Lets hope that Mitsu steps up to the plate. At least if they replace the clutches in the magazines cars then everyone else will have a standard to hold Mitsubishi to.

By the way, does anyone know if the Evo VII has the same clutch as the US Evo, and for that matter does the Evo VIII in other markets have the same clutch? If so did they have the same issues as US Evo owners? If they have a different clutch from us there is deffinatly some hell raising to be done if they gave us an inferior product. This at least would be a great place to start. If someone out there is a member of some oversees' boards then see if you can find out and shed some light on this issue. It might be a place to start with a recall request.

Last edited by USP45; Jul 22, 2003 at 07:59 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2003, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by timzcat
Throw-out bearings are noisey in nuetral with the clutch out.
All cars make some noise, as long as it is not LOUD there is nothing to worry about.
The trans is noisey also. No one has yet to pin down that noise. Mitsu says it the gears and it's normal. Some say it's within the clutch assembly.
ok, i feel a little bit better. well, Im going to show up at the starbucks on Friday in Torrance, not sure how many people from So. Cal. are in this forum, but I will definately have them take a listen to it
Old Jul 23, 2003, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

yea SCC did have issues with the evo clutch.... okay with any performance mod they wont fix our clutches....gone at 3800 miles for me (driven like a baby for the 1st 2000 miles!!!).... it took 1800 miles of a tad more aggressive driving to kill the clutch... my rsx-typeS went 13000 miles without a quiver of clutch issues...

so with a ebc or afc they will definetly say SCREW you to me about the clutch....

worst park is I hear terrible things about the current $200 6 pucks out there, its $1000-1500 exedy's or nothing

-shahul
Old Aug 16, 2003, 04:39 AM
Evolved Member

My clutch started slipping today and got progressively worse. It is pretty much to the point I don't want to drive the car anymore. I have 8000 miles on my car now. Most of these miles are from highway use which seems to me like the only way this would happen is if my pressure plate was failing. This is definitely a problem that should be fixed.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 10:46 AM

could this really become a bigger pain in the ***? I took my evo in yesterday to have the dealer look at the clutch. Most can guess how this has turned out, dealer tells me " we'll have to tear it down first then we'll warranty it if we find defective parts. But if its normal wear and tear, you will be responsible for parts and labor." not exactly the yes or no i would have liked. and besides is 4200 miles normal wear and tear. Called mitsu today and they were not any help. just took my info and refered me to another dealer because i will not give this one another ****ing dime!
Old Aug 28, 2003, 08:16 AM

Originally posted by jotan82
exactly,

what my dealer told me... "if we find any evidence of racing, we will not cover it under warrenty"

that is some BS
Actually your dealer is smart. Racing stresses parts without needing to.

Ive blown a rearend 800.00
Transmission 2000.00
Head Gasket - 500.00 (parts only - I did labor)
etc....

Of course the dealer doesnt want to be replacing **** because you beat it.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

yeah i took my car in for the recall and to get my anti lock brakes fixed, and i was talking to the service manager, and he showed me the Mitsu TSB (technical service bulleting) stating that mitsu will not warrenty any clutch repair, and dealers were not to warrenty the part.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by timzcat
If you have the dealer do it, make sure you get the old parts back.
In general when you have a part replaced Mitsu wants the old part back. So maybe bring a camera with you and take some pics since I doubt you'd get the old part back if it's warranty work.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

hahaha, i find it too funny that you guys are saying that "I spent $30000 on this car and it shouldnt be like this". $30k isnt a lot at all for a car with so many features and performance, parts like brembos, recaros, carbon wing, momo steering wheels, enkei wheels, Advan tires, front mount intercooler setup. Try to find me another car in the same price range with these goodies. To me, $30k is inexpensive for the evo (if you even have any clue how much each of these individual parts cost). I dont think Mitsu is making a bomb by selling us these cars. They're trying hard to keep their costs down thus able to compete with the subarus. I think that their reaction to the clutch issue is only natural. If you want to dispute what I say, try buying a regular WRX for $25k and load it up with what the evo already has...You'll spend close to $40k. You cant expect to pay $30k for a car like this and expect Ferrari service.

Even BMW has denied clutch warranties to the M5 community during its first launch in 2000.

Last edited by 909; Aug 28, 2003 at 10:46 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 11:06 PM

That would be one crazy recall
Old Aug 29, 2003, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Any updates on this topic? You folks that have had clutch/tranny failures get them replaced? Has anyone had a repaired clutch give out again?

Any good stories out there? i.e. "yeah, I've gone 10,000 miles with my EVO and so far, the clutch is rock solid (yeah, a guy can dream, can't he?)."