Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Make sure your IC piping is tight!!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2007, 07:29 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This happened to me JUST last night! Luckily a free Road Ranger on I-4 stopped 2 minutes after it happened and gave me a zip tie to get me home... Drove out of boost the whole 10 minutes home... yes IC piping coming loose FTL!
Old Nov 18, 2007, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never had a problem with the stock ic piping it was after I had put a new licp w/ t bolts but I had just had it tuned and it had been through a lot of hard pulls and I probably tightned it conservatively intially but I went ahead and tightend it like i was at the gym worst case scenario I bent the piping but it won't pop off anymore!
Old Nov 18, 2007, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

I have never had an IC pipe pop off, but then again after reading so many of these posts that I am always checking the clamps for looseness whenever I have the hood opened up. I know that Santa is bringing me a new lower IC pipe with t-bolts hopefully it won't pop off then.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Use hairspray as well. I couldnt keep my intercooler piping from falling off at all on my turbo Miata. I even used brake cleaner & it still kept blowing off somehow. So I lubbed it up with hairspray, applied the t-bole clamp & let it dry over an hour or two. It NEVER popped off over a 6 month period. When I went to remove my intercooler piping, the coupler was REALLY stuck to the throttle body and I had to kinda pry it off. Good stuff!
Old Nov 18, 2007, 08:43 AM

Happened to me a few months ago too lol. Lucky for me my buddy had a pliers in his car and a penny will fit perfectly into the flathead screw on the clamp
Old Nov 18, 2007, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i keep extre t-bolts in the center console the 3rd night i had the car i put like 3k worth of **** onto it did a pull down the road and it sounded like it exploded i thought it was over then and there hahahhaa.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

like said above....t-bolt clamps FTW! Also make sure u have an extra coupler around too....cause once you get t-bolt clamps the next thing to go are the actual couplers.....with holes in them!
Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Ive had this problem before.Thats why upgraded to T-Bolt clamps.