Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Faithfulness: Evo-vs-Motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2007, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I loved my gixxer 600 (traded it for R6 just a couple of days ago).....I have quite a few toys and i sometimes think why i got them cause most of them sits in my garage cause the weather here is 60% of the time snowing and raining ....never nice here.

Last edited by SickSilverNLow; Nov 26, 2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
Wanted a Speed Triple, but it's too small for my 6'1" 250 lb ***... got pics of the Cagiva V-Raptor?
Sure. Will post them tomorrow as I got them in the office pc
Old Nov 22, 2007, 04:27 AM
Evolving Member

Here it is

Old Nov 22, 2007, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Aux.
I guess i am going through what i would call a mid-car crisis right now. I am on the brink of buying a motorcycle as another toy and am a little worried to tell you the truth. I am a little nervous and am not sure that if i buy my motor if my love for my car will wane. I mean i am by no means affixed to the iconic value of the of the Evo as much as i am the performance value of the vehicle. Any of you bike owner ever goe through these feelings? I am kinda lost and am not sure what is gonna happen. Anybody have this experience?

When I had a bike, I stuck with the bike all the time. When I bought the Evo, the bike didn't get as much love, but I found it was a nice dilemma to be stuck with!!!

I found the Evo was great to be able to drive around in inclement weather or when more than one person was coming along....i.e., the double dates, the designated driver to the bar, and so on.

But when I wanted to break free and go out for a ride, go a little crazy or spend a night out with the guys, or just go stupid-fast...the bike was nice to have.

So,NO....I don't think you'll pick and choose with bias. They both have their spots, so if you can keep both, you're in good shape.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

I sold all 4 of my bikes including my race bike, and my touring bike after hitting a deer in broad daylight in the middle of West Virginia on a straight highway in the middle of the day doing 65mpoh minding my own business and just smelling the roses. My previous accidents were a result of my own mistakes (pushing too hard at the track mostly) and I could correct mistakes and 'handle it' as an alpha male knowing I did something wrong and I felt I wouldn't make the same mistake twice. All that went out the window when the deer jumped out at me. Nothing I could do, and when I didn't feel in control anymore I hung it up. Oh...and completely wrecking my body for life didn't exactly make me wanna get on a bike again even though I was wearing full helmet, mouthpiece, chest protector, back protector, and 1000 denier textile jacket and pants with padding (yes, I was very safety gear conscious u could say ). I'm still recovering and I'm not even sure I'll be able to run on the soccer field again, pretty sad...though I'm happy I have all my limbs:

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b5.../Deals_Gap_07/

It's all a risk/reward ratio...for me this accident pushed me over the edge as there are other things in life to me to accomplish other than going fast.

(I get as much fun from the EVO as the bike, but I must admit the comradery isn't there as much and it costs a WHOLE lot more <gas, insurance, purchase price> to go fast.)
Old Nov 22, 2007, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, the one thing about bikes is that you meet some of the best people on them.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

u will enjoy both. i have my evo amd 2 bikes. There are days and times i love the bikes more, but there are also days and time i love my evo
Old Nov 22, 2007, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I bought my Evo because it was the closest I could get to 2 wheels in a car. I have 4 bikes at the moment, 2 street and 2 track. There really is nothing like the feeling of hanging off going around a corner and not being sure your going to make it. I don't really ride on the street much because you can't come close to the limits of what a bike can do
Old Nov 22, 2007, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BillAce
There really is nothing like the feeling of hanging off going around a corner and not being sure your going to make it
Good description. You are gonna scare the OP
Old Nov 22, 2007, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

I have an Evo and a sport bike. If God said I can only own one vehicle I would have to pick the bike. I love the Evo and the braking and cornering just blow a sport bike away. But when it comes to dropping a knee, full throttle acceleration, zipping along backroads and lane splitting.....you just can't beat the bike. Also insurance is cheaper and mpg is usually much better than a car.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bster13
I sold all 4 of my bikes including my race bike, and my touring bike after hitting a deer in broad daylight in the middle of West Virginia on a straight highway in the middle of the day doing 65mpoh minding my own business and just smelling the roses. My previous accidents were a result of my own mistakes (pushing too hard at the track mostly) and I could correct mistakes and 'handle it' as an alpha male knowing I did something wrong and I felt I wouldn't make the same mistake twice. All that went out the window when the deer jumped out at me. Nothing I could do, and when I didn't feel in control anymore I hung it up. Oh...and completely wrecking my body for life didn't exactly make me wanna get on a bike again even though I was wearing full helmet, mouthpiece, chest protector, back protector, and 1000 denier textile jacket and pants with padding (yes, I was very safety gear conscious u could say ). I'm still recovering and I'm not even sure I'll be able to run on the soccer field again, pretty sad...though I'm happy I have all my limbs:

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b5.../Deals_Gap_07/

It's all a risk/reward ratio...for me this accident pushed me over the edge as there are other things in life to me to accomplish other than going fast.

(I get as much fun from the EVO as the bike, but I must admit the comradery isn't there as much and it costs a WHOLE lot more <gas, insurance, purchase price> to go fast.)

You shouldn't post pics like that! All your enemies could come in and you'd be at their mercy...all they'd have to do is pick a finger and apply minor pressure.....

Just kidding. I would imagine you're closer to fully recovered now, but just remember-it gets better. Sometimes not as quickly as we'd like, but it gets better each day. Keep in there, and don't be afraid to get back on!! I know its tough, but unless your mind is made up, don't let it rule you. Feel better.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
Wanted a Speed Triple, but it's too small for my 6'1" 250 lb ***... got pics of the Cagiva V-Raptor?

Aux.

What were you thinking of getting? Seriously though, I'm sure your Evo will make an equal stable mate in the end...
Zeus,

I was thinking about getting a GSX-R 600 or maybe the CBR 600 RR. I am a "big" guy (read this as in the gym most of the week and weigh in at 6'1'' 230lbs) and i have been interested in buying a bike for quite some time now. What alot of the guys out there that have answered to this thread don't understand is, i am buying a bike not getting rid of the Evo. I am just a little nervous about "falling out of love" with my car. I have been into cars for the better part of almost 15 years and have always had an eye on a bike, not so much for the "cool factor" but more for the idea of just having a good time on a bike. I can admit that i have taken an interest in the "naked" bike and do see their appeal but am not wanting to take away from my affection of my ride. I really do appreciate everyones input too, my wife just shakes her head as i read these posts to her...she thinks i will be fine but god only knows. As a college student and a military man i do see myself on the bike some but never really permenantly due to the fact that i take my son to daycare everyday. So what do you think Zeus (oh and to make it worse....i have never ridden a bike before).
Old Nov 24, 2007, 11:18 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Aux.
Zeus,

I was thinking about getting a GSX-R 600 or maybe the CBR 600 RR. I am a "big" guy (read this as in the gym most of the week and weigh in at 6'1'' 230lbs) and i have been interested in buying a bike for quite some time now. What alot of the guys out there that have answered to this thread don't understand is, i am buying a bike not getting rid of the Evo. I am just a little nervous about "falling out of love" with my car. I have been into cars for the better part of almost 15 years and have always had an eye on a bike, not so much for the "cool factor" but more for the idea of just having a good time on a bike. I can admit that i have taken an interest in the "naked" bike and do see their appeal but am not wanting to take away from my affection of my ride. I really do appreciate everyones input too, my wife just shakes her head as i read these posts to her...she thinks i will be fine but god only knows. As a college student and a military man i do see myself on the bike some but never really permenantly due to the fact that i take my son to daycare everyday. So what do you think Zeus (oh and to make it worse....i have never ridden a bike before).
4 HEAVY days a week in the gym for me

Look, case is closed on whether or not you are going to "fall out of love" with your Evo... it WILL get neglected at first (as family allows), but when the new wears off, balance will return. I've not been on my newest bike in a week. All it took was replacing the Evo's primary O2 sensor, the car running smooth as silk on the test run. Next thing I know, I just enjoyed taking the gas guzzling Evo to work all week. Get my drift?

Pardon the following lecture... but you got it coming being this will be your first go...

Before we can go further and talk bikes, we need to mention the most important stuff. Go spend the good money on your gear first. Drop the big bills on your helmet/jacket/gloves/boots/AND pants... the tarmac does not discriminate if you go down. Should that happen to you, the best money can buy, should have gone into your gear, and NOT your ride!

If you are interested in my opinion on best buys in new bikes right now, feel free to ask. However, I've already stated what we're getting the wife after I've researched the crap out of the issue... and I've got more reasons to get the Street Triple over a sport bike than anyone can come up with to the contrary. Not to mention the fact that one will never safely reach the limits of it on the street, much less those of a full blown race bike with blinkers.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

I think one makes me appreciate the other. They are unique vehicles that have extreme capabilities.

As far as fuel economy on a bike goes, I don't get to enjoy that aspect. My big race bike gets me about 4 mpg on a typical track day. I use oxygenated unleaded race fuel usually. One thing is for certain, racing ain't cheap no matter what type of vehicle. I have about 20K in mods to my bike which is probably more than I have in the Evo.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by iturregui
Good description. You are gonna scare the OP

The reality is that you make it 99 times out of 100. I haven't found anything on this earth that gives me such mental focus and connects me with what is happening around me. Once you get through the corner after a pucker moment you increase your threshold of fear and go through that fast every lap until you push again. I've definitely said to myself, "****, I'm going down" many more times than I've crashed. I've put a whell in the dirt, broke a Marchesini wheel jumping some big curbing at VIR, had my *** knocked out of the seat when the rear picked up traction but still rode back to the pits. Usually, its just a cool converstaion later with a fellow rider that was nearby and saw what happened. I was given great advice when I started riding, "stay in the throttle until thepavement says otherwise".