Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Faithfulness: Evo-vs-Motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2007, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I highsided at VIR North in the rain going up the hill under the bridge....no more. p
Old Nov 25, 2007, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bster13
I highsided at VIR North in the rain going up the hill under the bridge....no more. p

That is a great corner though! I've used the access road on teh outside of that corner before, lost the front a few times or have been slapping into the braking zone. I'm still almost 15 seconds slower than Mladin and Spies and they go through there spinning the whole way likr their on a rail...

I had one highside so far, at Grattan. The camber kicked my a$$, I didn't let go and when face first over the bars. Luckily I was on my F2 supersport so no real damage and not as much speed. Rain is hte great bike equalizer, smooth wins.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Owning a Kawi dealership, and having road raced bikes for the past 12 years, I can tell you nothing is as visceral than road racing or even just "tracking"a bike. I took a year off, and raced a 911. I actually did very well, winning a 4-hour endurance race in my bro's GT-2. I've won several C-ships on my bikes, but I'm not nearly as good of a motorcycle racer than a car racer. Having said that, I still would rather take a bike on the track than a car. It's not nearly as easy to be a "Hero" on a bike, as it is in a car. You make a mistake on a bike, you're probably going down. You do it in a car, you may spin and keep going. A bike is a lot more challenging, but with it comes a price. My 40-year-old body is more closely related to a 60-year-old's, due to all the violent impacts I've had over the years with the pavement. I have CRS due to the several concussions, I've had. I have no ACL in my left knee, and this is after 11 surgeries I've had on it, and I have a disk in my back that apparently got tired of sitting underneath a vertebrae, and is trying it's damnedest to move out of the cavity. Funny thing is, I could have this fixed with surgery (although the narcotic pain meds are more fun), but it would take me off a bike for a year or more, and being as ****ed up as I am, I'm not gonna be off a bike for that long. the whole reason why I'm on this site is because I'm looking for a car that I can track, that'll (at least in my wife's mind), allow me to do what I love to do, but in (instead of "On") a safer vehicle. I now have riders that can turn faster times than me to race my bikes, so the "Need" to race isn't there, but the "Want" isn't gonna be wiped out by driving a car.
I can tell you most people that try riding bikes on the track leave after their first crash. Getting pancaked by a 300-pound NFL lineman has nothing on getting tossed at over 100 miles an hour.
Bikes are fun. I however wouldn't advise selling the car and jumping in the deep-end with one. If you do decide to race or do track days, you will crash. However, buying a sportbike, and just riding it on the street is a total waste, IMO. You have no idea how a sportbike works, until you take it to the track. I liken it to driving an F-1 car in traffic (albeit one that wouldn't smoke the clutch or overheat). It's made for something different, and unless you put it in it's intended environment, you will never experience it's true character.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 10:47 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fastkevin
If you do decide to race or do track days, you will crash. However, buying a sportbike, and just riding it on the street is a total waste, IMO. You have no idea how a sportbike works, until you take it to the track. I liken it to driving an F-1 car in traffic (albeit one that wouldn't smoke the clutch or overheat). It's made for something different, and unless you put it in it's intended environment, you will never experience it's true character.
Hence my attraction and recommendation to the new US trends in "nakeds". Tangible, comfortable fun, yet still more power than you ever need on a public street.

fastkevin, get yourself an Evo if you have not already! Track days await
Old Nov 25, 2007, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
4 HEAVY days a week in the gym for me

Look, case is closed on whether or not you are going to "fall out of love" with your Evo... it WILL get neglected at first (as family allows), but when the new wears off, balance will return. I've not been on my newest bike in a week. All it took was replacing the Evo's primary O2 sensor, the car running smooth as silk on the test run. Next thing I know, I just enjoyed taking the gas guzzling Evo to work all week. Get my drift?

Pardon the following lecture... but you got it coming being this will be your first go...

Before we can go further and talk bikes, we need to mention the most important stuff. Go spend the good money on your gear first. Drop the big bills on your helmet/jacket/gloves/boots/AND pants... the tarmac does not discriminate if you go down. Should that happen to you, the best money can buy, should have gone into your gear, and NOT your ride!

If you are interested in my opinion on best buys in new bikes right now, feel free to ask. However, I've already stated what we're getting the wife after I've researched the crap out of the issue... and I've got more reasons to get the Street Triple over a sport bike than anyone can come up with to the contrary. Not to mention the fact that one will never safely reach the limits of it on the street, much less those of a full blown race bike with blinkers.

I love people that offer the lecture Zeus so no worries man. I am practical 28 year old service member who does not plan on losing his retirement or dieing in anything outside of the war time environment (and i still do't want to eat it there either with retirement only 9 years away) so i can totally appreciate all the advice anyone here would/will/has given me...and i am sure my wife will appreciate it too . I do plan on buying my PPE (personal protective equipment) to ensure a safe ride and plenty days where i can go and RUN with my son. As a man that is my size, Zeus, what would you recommend that i take a look at (and for that matter) anyone that is my size, what do you think i should be taking a look at ?
Old Nov 25, 2007, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Aux.
I love people that offer the lecture Zeus so no worries man. I am practical 28 year old service member who does not plan on losing his retirement or dieing in anything outside of the war time environment (and i still do't want to eat it there either with retirement only 9 years away) so i can totally appreciate all the advice anyone here would/will/has given me...and i am sure my wife will appreciate it too . I do plan on buying my PPE (personal protective equipment) to ensure a safe ride and plenty days where i can go and RUN with my son. As a man that is my size, Zeus, what would you recommend that i take a look at (and for that matter) anyone that is my size, what do you think i should be taking a look at ?
I know your quaestion was directed to Zeus, but anyhow here is my recommendation. I think a good first bike would be a Suzuki SV650. I would go as far as recommending a Bandit 1250 since you are big enough to handle it. Let's see what Zeus says
Old Nov 25, 2007, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
Hence my attraction and recommendation to the new US trends in "nakeds". Tangible, comfortable fun, yet still more power than you ever need on a public street.
Unfortunately, there is no trend in naked bikes here in the US. Everywhere else, but not there. The manufacturers have tried, but I don't see the big 4 carrying on with them too much longer. They just don't sell.
I rode a Z1000 for about a thousand miles, then a naked ZX10. That fuggin 10 would come up in 5th gear on the freeway. Never could pin that thing.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 04:55 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by fastkevin
Unfortunately, there is no trend in naked bikes here in the US. Everywhere else, but not there. The manufacturers have tried, but I don't see the big 4 carrying on with them too much longer. They just don't sell.
I rode a Z1000 for about a thousand miles, then a naked ZX10. That fuggin 10 would come up in 5th gear on the freeway. Never could pin that thing.
I almost bought a new 10R, stripped it, wide bars, move rearsets forward, etc... then reality set in. Its a beast any way you slice it. The very idea of making it lighter is ludicrous in it's self. Way cool though. The Z1000 is my idea of a cheap, fun, yet sane bike. With over 130 whp/70 ft lbs in current tune, it is more than I really need for the daily comute (Even for my gorilla frame/weight). It's definitely not for every one though. Plus, there is much better out there now.

The "naked trend" in the US is inprogress/coming... and WAY behind the rest of the world as I'm sure you well know. Granted, the big four are slow to bring their Euro-nakeds over, but bet your *** the wildfire is coming starting in 08'. Mark my words. Ridiculous offerings like the Suzuki B King will trend more toward more sane modes of transportation as the 2008 Triumph Street Triple, 2008 Aprillia Sliver, 2008 Honda CB1000R (dead sexy looking), 2008 Buell Ulysses XB12X, 2008 (redesign) 2008 Ducati Monster 696, on down to the likes of the 2008 Yamaha FZ1, 2008 Suzuki bandit, 2008 Kawasaki Versys, and so on take hold. Actually, MORE nakeds are planned than ever before for the US market.

Last edited by Zeus; Nov 25, 2007 at 10:41 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 05:03 PM
Account Disabled

when I was 5 my father was T-boned on his Norton, and only out of dumb luck, a new Osteopath was on staff who tried an experimental surgery on my father's leg, and after 3 years, 12 surgeries, and 4 months off work from the pain, he was able to walk again.

When I was 12, my uncle came over a hill on his goldwing, hit a dear, crushed his shoulder, broke ribs that punctured his lung. he had to walk for 2 and a half hours to find help as the accident happened in a remote part of New Mexico.

When I was 18, I purchased a sport bike, a CBR600 (without my mother's knowledge), and within the first month, I washed the front end on a set of diagonal railroad tracks, dislocated my shoulder and broke my other arm. I sold what was left of the bike, and swore I would not get back on a bike till I felt I was more responsible in life.

When I was 29, I purchased a CBR600RR loved the bike... untill a truck pulled out in front of me, I hit the fender, and flew over the front of the truck landing on my outstretched left arm and chin of my helmet. I broke my collar bone, my left arm, strained my back. spent 3 days in the trauma ward, 1 day in surgical recovery, and 6 months in physical therapy. I now have a Titanium plate in my arm with 9 screws.

Motorcycles are dangerous things. There is a saying. "There are only two types of motorcycle riders... those who are going to be in an accident, and those who are going to be in ANOTHER accident" No matter how safe you are, no matter how responsible you are, and no matter what training you go through... the other people on the road are idiots and will try to kill you through their own ignorance.

My advice to anyone considering a motorcycle, is to stay away from those death-traps.

NOW, THAT BEING SAID.......

My father no longer rides a bike, because he turned from a hippie to a yuppie, and couldn't afford a harley

My uncle still rides a Goldwing, and I have seen him take corners like a sportbike on that thing, it is truely awesome!

When I was being wheeled into the ER, I asked "Is my bike totaled?" to my mother... she said it was. I replied "Good... I wanted to upgrade to a 1000RR anyways" she turned to the Doctor and said "no need to do an MRI.... it's confirmed, he's braindamaged"

3 months later, my Dr gave me approval to get on a bike again. the next day I purchased a new CBR1000RR, and the next week spent the best 7 days of my life on a motorcycle trip up PCH to San Francisco. I put 23,000 miles on that bike in 9 months, then put it in storage while I have been traveling for work. Every day I miss riding my motorcycle, I miss leaning into a corner and touching your knee to the ground. I miss the sound of the engine between your legs. I miss feeling one with the bike, the intimate knowledge you have with the way your particular bike handles.

first gear on my bike goes to just below 100MPH. I've had it to a GPS verified 172 MPH, the brakes are strong enough to cause you to flip forwards over the handlebars, and the torque is enough to cause you to flip backwards in the top 4 gears. It out-corners any car on the street, and flicks back and forth faster than an epilyptic on the Vegas strip. The only limitation that the bike has, is the rider's abilities, and once you realize that you are the weakest link, you better yourself to try and feel a worthy rider for the bike.

No car has ever made me feel like I do on a good bike, and I know it never will.

So my advice... Don't buy a bike... you'll kill yourself on it... but after you ignore me and you do get a bike, give me a call and I will show you some amazing roads!
Old Nov 25, 2007, 05:05 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Aux.

A used bike like a Suzuki SV650 would be a great bike to learn on. There are so many 600cc-ish bikes that could be recommended. However, it's what's available in your area will be the true deciding factor. Also remember that as soon as you are comfortable, there is always someone willing to buy that bike from you!

If you decide to jump in with both feet and go new from the get go, one of the great things about Triumph is their test ride policy... they actually have one unlike the big four. If you have a dealership near you that is. You damn sure better do at LEAST a riding course first before attempting such a thing though!
Old Nov 25, 2007, 05:09 PM
Account Disabled

yes, a rider safety course should be manditory for anyone even thinking of going on two wheels. They are cheap, some insurance companies even pay for them and give you a discount for attenting one.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 05:15 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

BTW... to those who say bikes are a death trap... my good friend's wife lost her brother the other day. He was driving his car home from work in traffic. A freakin' TREE actually fell over at the precise moment he was there, crushing both the CAR and him. Morale is that we can all buy it at any time. Many times, there was something the rider/driver could have done had they been paying attention... then some times, it's just your time to go.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

PMed ya Zeus.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 06:54 PM

I have an 07 R6 and my Evo. They are so different that there really isn't a comparison between them. The bike is a lot of fun but there are times when you aren't going to be on it so then you have your car which is still fun to drive around, so I wouldn't be worried about getting tired of it.

-Andrew
Old Nov 25, 2007, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

I agree that death could come at anytime, it's still best to minimize the risk.
Supersport motorcycle deaths average 22 per 10,000 registered while car deaths are 79 per 1 million registered. That means you are about 30 times more likely to get killed on a sport bike than in a car.
I love bikes and have owned ten different bikes. It's just important to understand the risks involved.