Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Faithfulness: Evo-vs-Motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2007, 08:00 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It IS important to understand the risks involved... however, I'd like to see your stats when only considering "Sports" cars, or "Tuner" cars. Granted, we all still know the out come even if you were to further figure age into the equation. My point was more to the fact that just like a bike, cars can be no more "safe" than the driver. One could argue anyway they their opinion leads them. That's not the point of the OP... then again, reality is we've all gone WAY off the intent of the thread anyway!
Old Nov 25, 2007, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there's something that just comforts me in having a steel cage around me if i slip up at 40 + mph.

at the same time I really want to experience the ride...quite the catch 22
Old Nov 25, 2007, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
I almost bought a new 10R, stripped it, wide bars, move rearsets forward, etc... then reality set in. Its a beast any way you slice it. The very idea of making it lighter is ludicrous in it's self.
Yeah, that's what was so fun about the bike. It was an '04, and with some head work, was good for about 170hp to the ground. With the Renthals, you had no weight at all over the front. Total ludicrous hooligan bike

Originally Posted by Zeus
The "naked trend" in the US is inprogress/coming... and WAY behind the rest of the world as I'm sure you well know.
No offense, but I'll believe it when I see it. When the Z-1000 came out in '03, I fell in love with it. Nobody else did however. They've been playing this deck here(probably due to the class' popularity in the rest of the world) for 5 years now, and they're not seeing a return. The new redesigned Z-1000 didn't sell any more than the prior gen bike, and it's a better bike.
I hope you're right... I really do. I love these bikes. If I didn't fall in love with the ZX14 for a street bike, I'd still be riding that naked 10.
Back to the topic at hand. Street bikes are a lot of fun. The arguement that you WILL crash on the street is bogus. I have many many customers with 40+ years of street riding experience with no crashes. With a bike, you need to pay attention to what your doing. You constantly scan, looking for possible problems, and escape routes from them. The MSF course IMO, is the best place to start.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fastkevin
I have many many customers with 40+ years of street riding experience with no crashes.
Reality check at the door please, bull****.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Xolition
Reality check at the door please, bull****.
Per mile travelled, the average biker is 26 times as likely to die as the average driver. But that still leaves statistical room for many safer-than-average bikers to go decades without a crash, especially if they're only weekend riders.

I, personally, have put in over 20,000 miles on a motorcycle so far, without a crash--so far--from a combination of training, awareness, and riding like a maniac only when appropriate.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Bikes hardly kill anyone, riders riding beyond their limits is deadly though. Any modern sportbike, including 600's are too fast for street riding. You have a rediculous amount of acceleration combined with braking and cornering that is worse than a car. Its so easy to twist your wrist but combining all of the other controls to manuever and fully utilize a bikes's potential takes, skill, precision and delicacy.

I think its a joke that you can rent a scooter and get a license that lets you ride a ZX10 home. A closed course is the only place you can really know what your limits are, forget about getting to the bikes limits. My current bike scares the **** out of me every time I ride it and learn how to better control and not upset it.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

The evo is a lot safer if you get into a wreck!But than again you can't beat the feeling of a bike either!
Old Nov 26, 2007, 10:07 PM

Aux, I'm your size, actually bigger. One thing you have to keep in mind is that even modern 600cc inline fours are really fast bikes. They're as fast as say one of my older big-bore bikes, the 900RR from the early 90's. For your first bike don't worry so much about power but think inexpensive, something to cut your teeth on. The SV650 that was mentioned is a great bike. The reason why I'm cautioning you on how big of a bike to buy is because I promised myself I'd do this when I encounter someone that's going to buy their first bike. I had a weightlifting buddy named Ed that died about a week after buying his first bike, a 900RR. I tried to talk him out of it but it to no avail. He didn't have any riding experience. Take that MSF course also, ask anyone that's had it and they'll tell you it probably saved them at least a couple times in the first year - learning counter-steering is really important. The Soft-Science of Road Racing Motorcycle is also good reading.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

You're not going to get sick of your Evo or become less enthused by it. I ride my bike one day and then drive my car the next. A lot of times I use both in one day. Sometimes, it becomes a little tedious to take the bike everywhere if there is a lot of traffic and sometimes the weather and traffic cooperate. Unfortunately, last year my car was at the Mitsubishi dealership for about 11 weeks which was my entire Fall semester. For the first half of that, they didn't give me a loaner car and I just had my bike. Of course, it rained like every day. Luckily, my friend had a 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R that he had recently wrecked and then repaired. He gave it to me to ride around and put as many miles on it as I could before he sold it.

Your car seems to be pretty quick as I have read the mods in your sig. Not only will you not get sick of your car, I think you will learn to appreciate both the car and the bike even more. No one here is really going to tell you anything you don't already know. Get a bike that suits your needs and spend time learning how make proper use of it's power. Take it riding classes at the track as those are infinitely more valuable than anything.

Also, it's been brought up several times so I suppose I can touch on it briefly. Don't worry about crashing your bike. Be sure to always ride within your means and don't try to get fancy until you have spent a lot of time on the bike and learned to truly ride it. Nothing can replace experience and it is very easy to become quite cocky on a bike in spite of the fact that you could be brand new to riding. That being said, you will probably crash/lay down/or get hit by something. But whatever. It's all part of owning the bike and nobody who understands how bikes work are seeking out their purchase in order for safety. Yes, you are relatively more safe in a car but anything can happen. I've been hit by a car on my first bike which totaled it and caused me a lot of road rash. I practically couldn't walk for a month. As soon as I could again, I got my new bike within days.

Last edited by Xx Danny xX; Nov 26, 2007 at 11:52 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 07:26 AM

actually, a friend of mine thinks his evo is fast as hell, and I think mine is slow as crap anymore. I jsut got a new bike too that I have been riding a lot... It might have something to do with it. Now I have to mod the evo...
Old Nov 27, 2007, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

well now that its cold and winter is here, my only toy is my evo, the bikes are done till probably march, dammmmmm
Old Nov 27, 2007, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by W0459732
well now that its cold and winter is here, my only toy is my evo, the bikes are done till probably march, dammmmmm
Not in Texas baby!
Old Nov 27, 2007, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

get the bike and have the best of both worlds.....

Had 03 evo, bought 06 gsxr 600 (impulse buy of course), sold 03 evo because couldnt afford both, one year later to the day picked up 06 evo, now happy again. Vegas weather is still good to ride except for this week.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 05:24 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by dzraduzit
Not in Texas baby!
Yes, sunburns on Christmas do suck!!!

Pick your's up yet???

How's the Evo saga?

/\ classic case of some one going to enjoy both!
Old Nov 27, 2007, 05:29 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

BTW... My Evo is down with suspension woes... read wore out. So I rode in to work at 5am this morning... 38 degree at the house. TourMaster/Alpine Star/Scorpion/Goretex are my friends. Arrived nice and toasty even with a wind chill of 70 mph PLUS