Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Faithfulness: Evo-vs-Motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2007, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Faithfulness: Evo-vs-Motorcycle

I guess i am going through what i would call a mid-car crisis right now. I am on the brink of buying a motorcycle as another toy and am a little worried to tell you the truth. I am a little nervous and am not sure that if i buy my motor if my love for my car will wane. I mean i am by no means affixed to the iconic value of the of the Evo as much as i am the performance value of the vehicle. Any of you bike owner ever goe through these feelings? I am kinda lost and am not sure what is gonna happen. Anybody have this experience?
Old Nov 20, 2007, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sold my R1 to get my EVO IX MR and I don't really miss that particular bike, but I will definitely be picking another one up next year (a 600 instead). In my mind I will never make my EVO 'bike fast' as it's my daily driver, so I'll want a weekend toy as well.

So buy one later this winter when they're stupid cheap.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

It was always hard to choose between my Evo and my bike. I knew I would have fun with both, but I ended up taking out my Evo more than the bike. Sure, the bike was faster in every way, but 4 tires sliding was alot of fun.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Now don't get me wrong i am not saying that i don't want my Evo or plan on selling it (at least i don't think) but i am concerned with the idea of not being as impressed by it anymore and getting my fix somewhere (the bike) else. I am just not sure how i wil end up feeling about either one of them after the purchase.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 09:16 PM

heh with your evo modded like it is I would never drive anything else Yea I know how you feel though, I think you should just drive whatever you like better at the time.... if you feel like riding a bike then ride the bike! If you want to ride the evo, ride it!, stupid to not fulfill your wants, etc just because of being scared of getting tired of it ^_^

Hopefully that made sense, I myself got a little caught up while writing it, so
Old Nov 20, 2007, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

I've tracked a bike(CBR 600) and tracked the evo...its just different. I had a different(higher) level of confidence in the evo. The bike was fun and you really are a part of the bike and body position and weight play a big factor. They were both fun, and now that both are gone, I miss them, but which would I chose if I could only pick one? The evo. Hands down. I love the bike, I will own another, but won't start to pick one until I have another Evo.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 09:36 PM

You'll enjoy having both. If you get the motorcycle bug hard though you'll want to be on it almost all the time but you can't carry much on bikes (I've tried :-) and bad weather on a bike is only for the Beamer owners.

Motorcycles teach you a lot about going fast. They're not for everyone. You have to have restraint and be attentive. And you'll need to learn to push your boundaries very slowly, much slower than in a car. Four-wheel drifts are great but there's nothing as rewarding as hammering a set of corners fast on a modern bike - different world entirely.

Oh and since you haven't bought it, do yourself a favor and buy a crappy first bike and spend a lot on a great helmet, jacket and gloves and wear them all the time. Don't go and buy some beautiful new bike or a liter bike for your first bike. Cut your teeth on a crappy used but reliable bike for a year and then start thinking about something pretty if you're still into it.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 09:51 PM

^ ditto

I love driving just as much but there's nothing like riding track!
Old Nov 20, 2007, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Yup, nothing beats being cranked over and hanging off the bike, railing through corners! Cheaper on gas too But, for the times I do need to take the car, I still need to have SOME fun.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 01:56 AM
Evolved Member

I would think of fun cars as comfortable bed, and I would think of motorcycles as cushy couch. It is more practical to have a bed than a couch but you can still live with just a couch (or neither). Just because you enjoy doesn't mean you'll start thinking about getting rid of the other. Motorcycles are generally more addictive than cars though, usually when people get mangled up in an accident and first thing that come up in their head after they gain consciousness is that they have just been given the opportunity to upgrade to the model they always wanted.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 02:19 AM
Evolving Member

Riding a bike is nice but not comfortable...your too exposed to the road's elements...I sold my Ninja 6R after buying my M3...think about it...AC, stereo, having someone with you to talk to..etc ...Oh and the car is safer and more forgiving. With the bike allot of mistakes are fatal.

I mean ...when I faced the bike and the car in my garage it was a no brainer...I always picked the car. The car maybe not as fast but fast enough.

Also, unless you have friends that have bikes and you go out with them, you will hate the bike eventually.

I would never take a bike over a sports car...I would consider having both maybe...but the fast car will always win in my book...but to each their own I guess.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 02:48 AM
Evolving Member

What kind of bike? Sportbike I guess. If you are buying a cruiser you will use the Evo more than the bike . But a Sportbike is a different story. They are fun to ride, light and have a LOT of power. The newer ones are impressive, just take a ride in a 2008 Gixxer 1K, ZX-10R, CBR 1K, or R1 and you will see what I'm talking about

But after all, you will always need a car because after the "new toy fever" goes away you will use it less. And I think that the Evo is the only car in its category that provides a sportbike-like pull up to redline.

I'm a bike enthusiast and have had bikes for the most part of my live and will never be without one. So I say GO FOR IT, enjoy it the most, be safe and don't worry about your Evo as you will use it as much as you use it now.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 02:48 AM
Evolved Member

you won't lose love for your evo... Think of it as having two really hot girlfriends... One who's really exciting and crazy, and one who is less exciting and crazy and a little more caring... Kinda the same thing, only you can't actually bang your car or bike and not be considered weird...
Old Nov 21, 2007, 03:42 AM
Evolving Member

Just Put the money into parts and call it a day. There is nothing wrong with having a"Bike Fast" evo I have one and its fun as hell and all the stories you hear about the turbo lag really isn't that bad just wait another sec or so the when it hits you will forget about the lag.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

I have a bike for sale that may work well for ya. 2004 Honda RC51 6k and its yours. 5500 worth of aftermarkets parts.