Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Still clutch smell after 3 weeks?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2007, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still clutch smell after 3 weeks?

Ok I went to the drag strip 3 weeks ago and ran my car for the first time. I only made three passes but on the 2nd pass I burned the clutch up which smelled horrible, but i've smelled it much worse before.

Anyways now after 3 weeks I still get a hint of burnt clutch, not in the cabin just by smelling underneath the hood. Sometimes i'll catch a wiff of it when stepping out of my car but it's not all the time. I guess it depends which way the wind is blowing.

Now my clutch is fine, no problems and holds perfect. Is it normal for the clutch to smell for this long? Usually in the past it takes about a week but I still smell it.

Any thoughts???
Old Nov 20, 2007, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Air your car out... any time I launched on my old ****ty exedy clutch, i would have to roll down every window & drive around for atleast 10 minutes to get the burnt popcorn smell out. Otherwise, it would seep into the seats and interior and just stay there for days.

My new exedy twin disk doesnt make a single smell at all!
Old Nov 21, 2007, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Well I cannot smell it inside the cabin, that only lasted a couple days. However after 3 weeks I can smell it outside the car still.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow. I was one of the first that talked about how bad the clutch was when I first got the car. Everyone told me that I simply didn't know what I was doing...and they were right. I had never driven a 4wd vehicle before and was trying to drive it like I had with frt/rr wheel drive cars.

For the two times I managed to burn my clutch, it never lasted more than 3 days.