Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sep. 2003 Sport Compact Car has Evo -vs- 911, M3, S4..

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2003, 08:07 PM
BMo
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice work (again) Shiv!
Old Jul 23, 2003, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

omg.... shiv quoted me!

now i'm gonna have to hurry up and save that extra $500 to get the stage zero....
Old Jul 24, 2003, 04:41 AM
Evolved Member

Is anyone going to scan the article and post it?? I'm anxious to read it.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 06:44 AM

Originally posted by sccavee

It will still always be a front wheel drive Neon

FWD cars yield high dyno results, so FWD fans pretend they can't understand that FWD and AWD dyno results are not comparable.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Shiv is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by shiv@vishnu

We were tempted to put the stock wheels back on for cost-cutting purposes (as they really don't add any performance value) but the SCC comparison test was kinda last minute. The only reason we competed in it was because we were already in southern Calif. for Car and Driver's SuperTuner challenge which was held the day before. It just happened to work out well. Except for the fact that the tires and brakes were already beat up from the C&D testing at Calif. Motor Speedway. Repeated 130 to 0 breaking tests do take their toll

The test conditions, as noted, were pretty bad. Very hot track temps (100+F). The C&D testing was slightly cooler but against a very nasty headwind. You'll see that on the newsstands in a couple of weeks and on C&D Television (on TNN) early next month

Cheers,
shiv

PS. I drove the other cars as well during the street and track testing. The M3 was truly impressive on the track. So well balanced and rewarding to drive. The S4 pretty much sucked at anything beyond 7/10ths although it did have one heck of a motor. The Porsche was remarkably good and had awesome levels of grip. On the road, it was almost too grippy in the way it prevented you from getting sideways under power or trail-braking. It also sounded mean as hell when given throttle. Ride quality was nice and comfort/cache levels were out of this world. But everytime I ended up back in the EVOs (both our and the stocker), it quickly became appearant that they are more driver-involving. On an unfamiliar stretch of twisty road, there really is no other car I'd want to be in. The biggest difference between the two EVOs, as far as handling goes, is our EVO had a much more natural at-the-limit cornering balance. That is, one doesn't have to force it to stay on line or worry about fore-aft weight transfer during turn-in. Makes much easier and rewarding to drive hard. The power difference is pretty obvious, the biggest differenct being partial throttle power response and top-end thrust. Whereas the stock EVO rewards short-shifting and deliberate (early) throttle application, the modded EVO was more responsive. With the extra power and juicier handling balance, it could be driven with fingertips and the tips of the toes
Man the things you do are amazing.....I think i am going to order a stage 0 soon... just curious about how easy it is to add and remove the xede for warranty purposes...and if the car still acts stock with idling and miles per gallon and stuff...

ps. mitsu told me that an exhaust will void the engine warranty because it messes with the o2 sensers...how dumb is that...how affective would a muffler add on be?
Old Jul 24, 2003, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Just got my copy, and love the results. Even with the Evo having a "clutch that wasn't up to the task", it still won the slalom, was second on the skidpad behind the Porsche, and was second on the lap time, again behind the $81K Porsche. Per SCC, "it's hard to pick anything but the Evo as the winner of the contest. Giving up some straight-line performance (on a very hot day) to the Germans means little when you consider the Evo was on pace or leading the pack in all other exercises, and it costs 35 to 65 percent less than the German cars. We'll give up some street cred any day for that kind of performance."

And when they tossed in the stage-0 Vishnu car, which smoked everyone there, it just put the icing on the cake.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

What's even more sad is the fact that it would take 4 times as much $$ to mod zee germanz cars to get the same hp gains as a modded Evo.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Why doesn't someone scan and post the article?
Old Jul 24, 2003, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

should i hook up my scanner?
Old Jul 24, 2003, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

You can see the images here... for a short time till we get close to my monthly transfer allotment on the server:

Ok... had to take them down for the bandwidth, sorry guys.

Last edited by 2Cool; Jul 25, 2003 at 07:42 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

where did Vishnu get the rear sway or is it their's? Maybe their slalom was down due to the tires(130-0 stops right.... :P) but I would like to know its price and who makes it

-Shahul
Old Jul 24, 2003, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Shiv is almost done with the rear sway. I plan on getting one when they are done. Hopefully they are 23mm and adjustable =) As always, I'm sure Shiv and his crew put a lot of R&D in this product as they do all of their other ones. Im sure the fitment, install, and performance of it will be top notch.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

I am waiting for the plug and play harness for the Xede unit, then I can ditch my S-AFC and gain some timing control as well.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

What ECU Shiv using along with the Piggy back? Sounds similiar to the works ECU remapping. Better gas mileage, leaner running conditions etc.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Wouldn't the heat affect forced induction cars more than naturally aspirated?

Quick Reply: Sep. 2003 Sport Compact Car has Evo -vs- 911, M3, S4..