Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What upgrade path are you going with?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2003, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What upgrade path are you going with?

Just curious what type of upgrade path you guys are going with with your EVO's? I mean are you starting with basic bolt-ons such as intake, downpipe, exhaust, boost controller etc-etc? I currently have the WORKS re-flash ECU upgrade and now I'm thinking I should have started with the basics like I mentioned above before getting any type of re-flash or ECU upgrade. I will post a thread later on about the WORKS re-flash and how well it works.

The reason why I have second opinion on this is because WORKS does not guarantee that their re-flash will work well with other products besides there own and can't(won't) re-flash for other products you may want to add on your EVO in the future. If this is the case, the money I spent to get my ECU re-flash will just be a big waste of money if I decide to go with another setup by getting my car re-flashed back to stock and start over. If anyone of you have the WORKS re-flash upgrade and have other mods like intake, downpipe, exhaust, would you give me some insight on how the WORKS re-flash work with the rest of your upgrades. Thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2003, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

I'm staying away from the engine for now, as I think it makes enough power to get me around the corners as is. I am upgrading handling first, although many argue that the suspension is good enough initially. I think it depends on what you want out of your EVO. My upgrade path is suspension (and all that comes with it), braking, cooling/longevity. When I start with the engine I think I'll go stand alone ECU first, then start the bolt-ons so I can tune them properly. I doubt I'll screw too much with the turbo and internals, at least until they need changing anyway! just my plan.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Rich (Ricardon) and I share a similar philosophy. Go a little at a time. My first mods were a turbo timer, the RMR downpipe and intake and the RMR crossbrace. Made nice power and better sound on intake. Then I had the ECU flashed with the exhaust and intercooler pipe done after that. I just wanted a nice smooth flow from intake to exhaust with the ECU programmed to take advantage of it. My car runs like a champ, makes really good power (enough for me) and didn't cost much (under $3000 for everything including parts, labor, and tax). Having owned an S2000 before, where a 5-6 hp gain might cost $2000, this car is a bargain. Just go slow so you don't run into 10 problems at once. If you go bit by bit, you will be able to diagnose any problems as they appear (I haven't had any probs so far...). Good luck!!

Attached Thumbnails What upgrade path are you going with?-my-evo-17.jpg  
Old Jul 16, 2003, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Engine: Intercooled Turbo, BOV, Cams, Forged Pistons, Possibly NOS

Exterior: Body Kit (I Already Have), 17" Rims for Traction and Looks, Complete Overhaul on Exterior

Exhaust: Completely New Exhaust System, GReddy Evo Catback

Interior: Evo 8 Recaros, The Works
Old Jul 16, 2003, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris in HB
[B]Rich (Ricardon) and I share a similar philosophy. Go a little at a time. My first mods were a turbo timer, the RMR downpipe and intake and the RMR crossbrace. Made nice power and better sound on intake. Then I had the ECU flashed with the exhaust and intercooler pipe done after that. I just wanted a nice smooth flow from intake to exhaust with the ECU programmed to take advantage of it. My car runs like a champ, makes really good power (enough for me) and didn't cost much (under $3000 for everything including parts, labor, and tax). Having owned an S2000 before, where a 5-6 hp gain might cost $2000, this car is a bargain. Just go slow so you don't run into 10 problems at once. If you go bit by bit, you will be able to diagnose any problems as they appear (I haven't had any probs so far...). Good luck!!

Who re-flased your ecu after your other mods? Was it RMR also? Unfortunately WORKS will not do re-flashing for other products except their own.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know what WORKS philosophy is. With RMR, they knew I was going to have a turbo-back and the intake and hardpipe kit. They put it on the dyno with those parts and tuned the ECU. I know there have been a ton of complaints, but my car runs as well as my S2000 did. I can't say a bad thing about it. All of my parts (including the ECU) are from RMR, except for the HKS turbo timer....

I would assume WORKS should be able to tune your ECU to match whatever parts you have on there.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Definitely have to start with the basics: turbo timer, intake, and exhaust system. Cheap and provide the most benefit to performance right off the bat.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 10:44 PM

well I'm debating whether to get a AEM Cold air intake kit or just get a K&N Filter. What do Pro WRC Rally Cars use open air or just replacement High quality Filter like a K&N? Also as far as suspension goes I'm going Rally setup so the suspension I want from DMS costs 2200 bucks and is 42 mm I believe Rally Ready. Also anyone know where to get mudflaps for our cars? To be honest my first upgrades will probably be an Apexi Safc -2 Fuel manager and a Manual Boost controller. After that I'll install the HKS 3" Catback exhaust when it comes out. I hear Mitsubishi is coming out with a new chip so our cars will run similiar to the new Subaru STIs coming out. I'm not adding NOS or any Turbo upgrades right now but maybe in the future. BTW Changing or adding those voids your Warranty just to let you guys know. Suspension is really decent I wouldn't screw with that if I were you. I would just do the SAFC 2 for now and manual boost control along with a Cold air intake or K&N Filter. I suppose you could go with a downpipe from there maybe some HKS Camshafts. Keep in mind that the ones on our car now are hallow so adding HKS ones will add a bit more weight but I"m sure not much more.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

Intake, Boost Gauge, MBC. Exhaust, ECU Reflash. If money permits, HKS cams and turbo kit, AVC, S-AFC II, CF Hood, more gauges, C-West Front Bumper, and maybe a Jun 2.2 stroker.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 11:47 PM

Super Stock!

Old Jul 18, 2003, 12:12 AM
Evolving Member

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
Old Jul 18, 2003, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

I'm starting with Stage 0.

Cat back and computer. My understanding is doing a intake with EM or Fuel managment is conter productive. A intake can throw off the MAF readings so the car might knock and then pull timing to compasate for it. A loss not a gain. The stock intake I'm sure can flow at least 300whp on a dyno ject. I would also not run a MBC with out EM.

IMHO
Eric
Old Jul 18, 2003, 05:29 AM

Mods so Far...

Short Throw Shifter
Ralliart Front/Rear crossbrace
Mitsu Gauge Pod..(Boost, Oil Temp, Volt)
RMR Undercarriage Cross Brace
RMR Downpipe
RMR Intake
RMR Cat-back Exchaust

Car runs fantastic, stock computer, noticable change with the mods. Handling is much improved with the chassis braces.

Parts work great RMR/Ralliart all labor done myself. After the mods, left the battery disconnected (both terminals) with the ignition on, all night (a little overkill). Computer re-learns everything the next day.

Good luck...
Old Jul 18, 2003, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

I'm following the straight path....ie I'm not going to mod it....at least until I'm done with my 61 Mini Turbo project....huhu!

SC~
Old Jul 18, 2003, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
keep the intake stock. Youll get better throttle modulation, throttle response, and better low end to midrange torque.

Quick Reply: What upgrade path are you going with?