Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Paranoid - Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2007, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Paranoid - Warranty Question

I have heard alot of warranty issues about the EVO.

I ran into a deal with my old camaro.

One dealer claimed the emissions recall was out of warranty. I told them since it was a recall and Federal emissions related that this was not likely.

I called GM and they said the car was under warranty for this recall.

Took the car to another dealer and they handled it no problem.

I still wonder if the first dealership was trying to get paid twice, once from me, and another time from GM.

Could some Mitsu dealers be trying this?

We only have their word in most cases that the warranty is denied. If they do the work and you pay the bill, what is there to stop them from still turning it in as a warranty claim and getting double payment?

Paranoid, I know, but people will do anything for money.

Might be good to get any warranty issues in writing and contact Mitsu directly.

Mitsuatb
Old Nov 26, 2007, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There have been dealerships in the past that have been caught doing this... Its not common (or at least they don;t get caught that often)

But you are in luck my friend, you bought an EVO, you'll never have to worry about a warranty anymore
Old Nov 29, 2007, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Mitsu closed their shop here, so now I would have to drive 70 miles one way to get to a dealer.

My seat needs fixing, loose lower edge trim, like many others. I think I will just fix it myself.

Like you said, "What Warranty".

Mitsuatb

Originally Posted by Punkskalar
There have been dealerships in the past that have been caught doing this... Its not common (or at least they don;t get caught that often)

But you are in luck my friend, you bought an EVO, you'll never have to worry about a warranty anymore
Old Nov 29, 2007, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mitsuatb
I have heard alot of warranty issues about the EVO.

I ran into a deal with my old camaro.

One dealer claimed the emissions recall was out of warranty. I told them since it was a recall and Federal emissions related that this was not likely.

I called GM and they said the car was under warranty for this recall.

Took the car to another dealer and they handled it no problem.

I still wonder if the first dealership was trying to get paid twice, once from me, and another time from GM.

Could some Mitsu dealers be trying this?

We only have their word in most cases that the warranty is denied. If they do the work and you pay the bill, what is there to stop them from still turning it in as a warranty claim and getting double payment?

Paranoid, I know, but people will do anything for money.

Might be good to get any warranty issues in writing and contact Mitsu directly.

Mitsuatb
It happened to my girl and her Pt Cruiser. The dealership claimed it was out of warranty and wanted 900 for an axle bearing. A call to Chrysler cleared it up. A lot of shady dealerships out there.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

You know something's up if they ask for cash only...
Old Nov 29, 2007, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Punkskalar

I dont know why, but that was funny as hell! I cracked up pretty nicely. Thank you!

In all seriousness to the warranty issues with the Mitsubishi dealerships are practically endless. You have to find a dealer to do right by you and it'll all be OK if you pay attention to the simple rules of modifying.

If you want a warranty, DON'T MOD! Not always true, but generally its easier to obtain warranty work that way.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by feldguy
If you want a warranty, DON'T MOD! Not always true, but generally its easier to obtain warranty work that way.
I have to agree with this.

Many will throw in the Moss-Magnuson Act and say the dealer has to prove the mods caused the defect. I agree with this in principle...but why go through the hassle? Why not avoid a prolonged argument with a dealer that will cause you headaches and grief. You have to mod at your own risk unless you find a great dealer willing to play ball.

Sometimes you have to ask yourself: Do I want to be right or do I want to be happy?