Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sold the Evo..Final Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2007, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 72Tornado
Unfortunately it seems the Evo community on the whole isn't exactly the most mature...
Pretty much the reason I don't even talk to anyone that has an Evo unless I see them on a road course.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 10:12 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we can end this name calling now. Please move on with the discussion and keep it within our rules, which can be found here should anyone need a reminder:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/announcement.php?f=69

Thanks,
J.D.

Last edited by SASD209; Nov 27, 2007 at 10:18 PM. Reason: fixored.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

I am 29...However, I feel your generalization is kind of insulting. Since when age was a determinant of maturity? I have seen many 25 year-old guys that were responsible and taking care of a whole family. At the age of 27 I was married, having a kid, owning my own house, and finishing my PhD. I might not be the norm but I am certainly not the exception.

How could you justify calling me a "Kid" then?? I did fall in your" less than 28" category you know.

You could be 50 years old and still act like a kid by the way.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 12:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Wazvette
I am 29...However, I feel your generalization is kind of insulting. Since when age was a determinant of maturity? I have seen many 25 year-old guys that were responsible and taking care of a whole family. At the age of 27 I was married, having a kid, owning my own house, and finishing my PhD. I might not be the norm but I am certainly not the exception.

How could you justify calling me a "Kid" then?? I did fall in your" less than 28" category you know.

You could be 50 years old and still act like a kid by the way.
no you're 29 so you're an adult !
Old Nov 28, 2007, 12:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Eon
This was the first car I have ever bought new. I really had no clue on the history of the car and I really didn’t know a thing about modding. Needless to say after I bought it I was hooked on making it go faster. I knew nothing about ricers or the young kid appeal of the car. All I knew was it was nice fast had four doors so I could fit the family in it.

Soon after buying it kids (if you’re younger than about 28 you fall in to this category) were giving me a lot of attention. Any time I would go through a drive through I would have to listen to some kid tell me how bad *** the car was. At first this was no problem but after a while it got really old. I wasn’t rude to anybody, just smiled and drove off. Any kind of civic, cavalier, jetta would rev its engine any time I went any where. I am not talking about one or two revs…the kinda of annoying person who just keeps it going far too long. Now I am really not that old but being 32 I think I have a different out look on life and got tired of being compared to a punk kid car or ricer car. I didn’t think that so many kids would have such and expensive car…fooled me. The people I did let drive the Evo defiantly had some respect for it after ward.

It did get egged at my second job one time. Still would like to find out who did that and kick some ***.

One experience I did not like was dealing with vendors. Being a little older I guess I am use to a little more respect when I am spending my money. I don’t know if they are just use to dealing with younger people customer service usually sucked. A few sirs thrown my way makes me feel like I am dealing with someone mature and they understand that I can go anywhere else with my money. I would have to say that Buschur racing was great. They always answered my questions. They didn’t make me feel like an idiot. I understand why they get a little upset from time to time dealing with so many young people. They should never have to rumor fight in my eyes…NOS…shesh.

Al from dynoflash was another bad experience. I have never handed over $400 for someone to sit in my car for less than 15 min and not tell me what the hell they were doing. He did feel free to tell me how much he hated cops and that they should all die. He does not keep a record for the free reflashes for life. He just wrote down my user name from this site. Over all I was very nervous, but his tuned worked and off I went. I do know that he helped a lot of people out when they needed it but he never made me feel like I knew what was going on or I was getting my moneys worth.

The web site is great and a lot of people on here are willing to help, I know I read the How Tos more than once, so pretty much it from someone who really knew nothing of modding or tuning before I bought the Evo. I will miss it. I will have to save up for something with a little more luxury. Well that’s it, my rant. Take it easy or anyway it comes. I know some of you are getting the flame throwers out..and thats ok..Just my experiences with the Evo
oh ****......... i feel ya man.... and im only 23...
Old Nov 28, 2007, 12:57 AM
Evolved Member

Sold mine for many of the same reasons... and I'm only 21. Surprisingly enough I get harrassed a whole lot less in the Porsche than in the Evo. A few people say "wow nice car" or "nice of your dad to let you borrow his car" and on the rare occasion someone tries to be an ******* and "race" me when I'm trying to change lanes... But no more young kids revving at me... Shortly after I got it an STi pulled up next to me at a red light, I of course got all tense... Then I remembered I wasn't in the Evo anymore, and we both drove off as normal
Old Nov 28, 2007, 01:17 AM

I've owned two of the ultimate JDM fanboys' cars, the AE86 corolla and an S13 that was lowered with a goofy wangan wing hanging off the back (I got it like that) and always felt intensely self-consious while driving around. Most of the attention I got was positive...one BMW owner even pulled up next to me on the freeway and waved a license plate that said "DR1FT" on it while giving me thumbs up.

the evo definitely does get ricers' attention, though...

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
Sold mine for many of the same reasons... and I'm only 21. Surprisingly enough I get harrassed a whole lot less in the Porsche than in the Evo. A few people say "wow nice car" or "nice of your dad to let you borrow his car" and on the rare occasion someone tries to be an ******* and "race" me when I'm trying to change lanes... But no more young kids revving at me... Shortly after I got it an STi pulled up next to me at a red light, I of course got all tense... Then I remembered I wasn't in the Evo anymore, and we both drove off as normal

I was briefly entertaining the idea of getting a Carrera, but that notorious RMS problem is a huge turnoff...how's yours faring?
Old Nov 28, 2007, 02:19 AM
Evolved Member

Keep in mind I only read the OP. My thoughts are this- I can definitely understand why you sold the EVO and don't blame you. However, driving a car that has a repuation for being "fast," as you said, is going to stir up attention from kids. Take the $90k BMW M5. You don't think they get revved at by a 16yr old in a 20 year old civic from time to time?
Old Nov 28, 2007, 03:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
it almost sounds like the story of my life but im older 37 and have the same problems, even more now because i started to mod the exterior and it draws more attention, but you know what I like it!

good luck, look at the new 335 turbo, great car for a family.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 03:52 AM

This tread is hilarious... Listen Bro, I am way older than u. One thing in life I've learned, is I don't give a damn what people think...U could like my car or hate it, it just does not matter. I get compliments on my car all the time and I would say thanks and keep it moving. If some kid revs is engine at me, I just wave and say no thanks. I would never let anyone dictate to me what car I should drive. Just look at it this way, it's all bout u. Do u like ur car or not ? If the answer is yes, then keep the damn thing... Hey but look at the bright side, I am behind u 110 percent if u want something a little more lux. that's why I got an e92 335
Best of luck with ur next purchase and be careful at work...
Old Nov 28, 2007, 04:10 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a hard time understanding many of the concerns voiced in this thread, but I'm only 44. Perhaps I'm just not old enough.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eon
This was the first car I have ever bought new. I really had no clue on the history of the car and I really didn’t know a thing about modding. Needless to say after I bought it I was hooked on making it go faster. I knew nothing about ricers or the young kid appeal of the car. All I knew was it was nice fast had four doors so I could fit the family in it.

Soon after buying it kids (if you’re younger than about 28 you fall in to this category) were giving me a lot of attention. Any time I would go through a drive through I would have to listen to some kid tell me how bad *** the car was. At first this was no problem but after a while it got really old. I wasn’t rude to anybody, just smiled and drove off. Any kind of civic, cavalier, jetta would rev its engine any time I went any where. I am not talking about one or two revs…the kinda of annoying person who just keeps it going far too long. Now I am really not that old but being 32 I think I have a different out look on life and got tired of being compared to a punk kid car or ricer car. I didn’t think that so many kids would have such and expensive car…fooled me. The people I did let drive the Evo defiantly had some respect for it after ward.

It did get egged at my second job one time. Still would like to find out who did that and kick some ***.

One experience I did not like was dealing with vendors. Being a little older I guess I am use to a little more respect when I am spending my money. I don’t know if they are just use to dealing with younger people customer service usually sucked. A few sirs thrown my way makes me feel like I am dealing with someone mature and they understand that I can go anywhere else with my money. I would have to say that Buschur racing was great. They always answered my questions. They didn’t make me feel like an idiot. I understand why they get a little upset from time to time dealing with so many young people. They should never have to rumor fight in my eyes…NOS…shesh.

Al from dynoflash was another bad experience. I have never handed over $400 for someone to sit in my car for less than 15 min and not tell me what the hell they were doing. He did feel free to tell me how much he hated cops and that they should all die. He does not keep a record for the free reflashes for life. He just wrote down my user name from this site. Over all I was very nervous, but his tuned worked and off I went. I do know that he helped a lot of people out when they needed it but he never made me feel like I knew what was going on or I was getting my moneys worth.

The web site is great and a lot of people on here are willing to help, I know I read the How Tos more than once, so pretty much it from someone who really knew nothing of modding or tuning before I bought the Evo. I will miss it. I will have to save up for something with a little more luxury. Well that’s it, my rant. Take it easy or anyway it comes. I know some of you are getting the flame throwers out..and thats ok..Just my experiences with the Evo
Good luck moving on. I bet you will miss the car but I doubt you will miss the attention. The flame thrower notion fits perfectly...since this community is like a pitbull...a mans best friend until one day they turn on you and bite your face off.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 04:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tru evo
This tread is hilarious... Listen Bro, I am way older than u. One thing in life I've learned, is I don't give a damn what people think...U could like my car or hate it, it just does not matter. I get compliments on my car all the time and I would say thanks and keep it moving. If some kid revs is engine at me, I just wave and say no thanks. I would never let anyone dictate to me what car I should drive. Just look at it this way, it's all bout u. Do u like ur car or not ? If the answer is yes, then keep the damn thing... Hey but look at the bright side, I am behind u 110 percent if u want something a little more lux. that's why I got an e92 335
Best of luck with ur next purchase and be careful at work...
+1

P.S. I'm 46
Old Nov 28, 2007, 04:29 AM

Damn FJF and Redcat, we are too old for an Evo. Didn't u know we should be modding our wheelchairs...
j/k

ps. 43 and I don't give a damn what people think, my evo is fun as hell 2 drive.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 04:52 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tru evo
Damn FJF and Redcat, we are too old for an Evo. Didn't u know we should be modding our wheelchairs...
j/k

ps. 43 and I don't give a damn what people think, my evo is fun as hell 2 drive.
I've often thought that this board should have an Over 40 thread just to see how may wheelchair-accessible Evos are out there.

Hell, I could have purchased almost any car that I wanted, but I chose the Evo(s) (it's my second), because it offered the most direct and undiluted driving experience next to a GT3. I bought the car to drive and I love every second spent behind the wheel. Its iconic status in the ricer community is only relevant as entertainment in my world, but it would probably matter more if I used my Evo as a fashion accessory, as a means of fitting in, as a way to impressing my friends, as a measure of success in the Stoplight Grand Prix or in a no-skill contest of stupidity like a highway pull, or as a pure bragging right.

(My comments weren't directed toward the OP.)

Quick Reply: Sold the Evo..Final Thoughts