Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sold the Evo..Final Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2007, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best of wishes no matter what u decide 2 get !
Old Dec 2, 2007, 03:58 AM

i am selling my Evo and i will miss the car itself alot, but i won't miss some attention it brings, i am 22 and can't stand people revving their engines at me just tryin to get my attention. i've had all kinds of people rev at me and try to race me, like a mom driving a minivan?? where's the point in that? but anyways the car was great to have, would love to buy another in maybe 5 to 10 years depending on how they will be then.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 04:09 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Philly, Germany, Japan, UK...South Dakota (Da Sticks).......
Yeah I was thinking about selling the Evo because of the simple fact of the youngins out there. Too many movies and F & F ruined the scene basically. I'm thinking about going VIP if I sell the Evo; All blacked out Infiniti M35/45, with BodyKit, and 22s".
Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its unfortunate that soo many people perceive these cars as F&F. I'm 28 and currently have a boosted IS300...coworkers, etc. have a completely different view/perspective of both me and the car vs my old STi.

Good luck in your search. I'm currently looking to try out an evo and unload my IS300 for no good reason. such is life
Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

i've never had the problem of people revving on me - in fact I can't remember the last time I raced someone so that perceived image of immaturity never made me think of selling the car.

For me the problem is comfort, and the money factor. At the end of the day, my jeep liberty is infinitely more comfortable on long trips due to the seats, and the fact that it's not loud, and it doesn't feel like it's going to snap in half when i hit a bump.

the other fact is that if i sold the evo, i would no longer be tempted to call buschur, ams, or whoever else to talk about costs for doing a stroker or new turbo and dumping more into it....half of me views it as the dumbest "investment" ever, and the other half says "you only live once - might as well enjoy it."

that being said, i'd be depressed as hell to get rid of it, even though I probably should.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 01:49 PM

I absolutely love my Evo IX. I got it for the same reason alot of you did.......they don't make a Corvette w/a backseat. I like 4-door sedans, and these sedans ROCK. Aluminum suspension pieces, aluminum body panels, Recaro's, infinitely modifiable (a word ??)! This car does a lot of things well!!

I don't like the attention either, but by debadging, dewinging, tinting and putting in an Alcantera headliner I was able to make a car that was more luxurious and more pleasing to MY eye.

I wish you luck on your next vehicle and hope it provides you w/as much enjoyment as my EVO does.

By the way............I'm 40.

Paul
Old Dec 4, 2007, 02:27 PM

I can completely follow your reasoning I had the same doubts about drawing to much attention before i bought my EVO VIII and couls already see all the silly boyracers circling around it and drewling all over it.

Luckily for me there are only a handfull of EVO's and Subaru 555's in the Netherlands (we even flash lights to each other over here none of the EVO vs 555 total wars i read about on some forums) so it's pretty exclusive over here, there are more Porsches and Ferrari's driving around daily. I usually only get short compliments at fuel stations once in a while about what a nice car it is, the occasional enthousiast stops along for a little chat or some head turning.

As for the revving at traffic lights only happens with the occasional Civic, VW GTI, or some yuppie with his girlfriend in a VW R32 or BMW with fake M badge, I only reply to last two and they always stop behind me at the next traffic light looking a bit smaller behind the steeringwheel & being laughed at by there girlfriend. But hey, they are at least grown up and around my age (31) & (should) be knowing what they are doing.

Life's a lot easier for a EVO owner in the Netherlands not that that helps you in anyway.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kilgoja
to me that's kindof what the evo is all about....just being urself....not conforming to driving a civic like everyone else or a mustang or something.....i mean i only know of 3 evo's around where i live......mine.... and 2 viii's.....my evo is bone stock and people are asking me if i bought that wing and those seats and such....i just laugh and say it came that way......i think it's funny when someone pulls up beside me revving the engine and expects me to race them or something...and what's funnier is it's always some car that wouldn't even stand a chance...i just shake my head and say to myself "what was he thinking?"....i guess sometimes i just wanna let go and put them in there place by blowing them away which i know i could do but my ego just isn't that big....i mean what does that prove?......woohoo look at me i'm faster than u....who cares?....i didn't buy the evo to impress other people or anything...i bought it cuz i liked it...simple as that....i don't have to prove anything to anyone....these guys already know that my car is faster than theirs....the people that have faster cars than mine never give me any trouble.....they just mind their own business....i dunno...guess i am old now...lol...i'm just not that competitive anymore...i just don't care....i mean i've never had a mustang, vette, sti, porshe, z, or any car that had a chance pull up beside me and want to race.....interesting...i don't race my car anyways....just love to drive it.....the best handling car i've ever driven..... another thing that's funny to me...it's like people expect that if u have a sports car that u drive fast all the time and race everyone and such....that's just stupid.....i mean i do drive fast sometimes but most of the time i just drive normal....maybe i'm getting old and i shouldn't be driving an evo....i'm 32....i think my next vehicle will be a truck...but i plan on keeping the evo cuz i like it

Hey man Many-many +1 from me!!!! I'm 24 and I hate civics that try to race me. Sorry but lets take racing to the track and take it off the street!!!!
Old Dec 4, 2007, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

I went from wanting to dive-bomb every corner to wanting to dive bomb.........wait....I haven't changed a bit!

MAS-TECH, I agree....I would LOVE an M45 VIP'd out. Just something about the luxury, but maintaining the performance aspect of the vehicle keeps it more attractive to people like us (crazy *** gearheads)
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's a respectable decision and all, but here's a bit of food for thought: I'm 19 and have had my car for close to a year. I have never ONCE revved at someone at a red light (unless you count friends who know I was joking), nor have I ever launched my car. I throw thumbs-up and waves to older Evo drivers all day long and usually just get a hard-*** stare in return. I'm sorry if everyone under the age of 28 in Utah is a dip****, but generalizing like that is .
Old Dec 5, 2007, 04:57 AM

You can talk about how young peolpe are because of your age. But the least I can say for all of us "young people" is that, we'll never buy a car not knowing anything about it... Me for example, I've followed the EVO all through its Japan life and I knew exactly what type of car it was, is and forever will be. Thats why I bought the car.

Honestly, who drops 30 grand on a car, and knows nothing about it? The EVO has a cult following. I, for one, am happy to be apart of that cult and not to be rude or anything to my elders... but hey, one less guy out there that rides around in a car they know nothing about is fine with me. Especially when it comes to repesenting our car community. The EVO was bred in competiton. There are some guys out there that would give anything to own one of these cars. And you just happen to pick one up because "its got 4 doors and its fast". -_-

A person that knows anything about cars will see the big wing, the 10 vents and air dams, the blue and black seats and say hey... this must not be a "normal" car. There are plenty of indicators on the car that say "I'm going to stand out!" I think next time, you need to really do some reserch on the car you are looking at. Or just let your wife pick out the car for you.
Good Day Sir.

FYI, I'm 25.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

have to say, the discussion in this thread is one of the more mature ones on this forum. even if some of the posts still reflected the normal banter that goes on here.

good luck with the next car.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by howmuch4onerib
Honestly, who drops 30 grand on a car, and knows nothing about it? The EVO has a cult following. .
I did (well, 26K). I came from a jeep grand cherokee and knew nothing about modding cars, or the evo reputation in general. All i knew was it looked fierce and was a quick car. Now almost 4 years later, I know more (and spent more) than I thought I ever would.

Now what? People can't buy a car cause they don't know the history of previous models? They can't just buy it cause they like the look or the power of it?

Also, the OP made a point of saying that he was getting annoyed by everybody revving at him...Hell, I would be too. You seem to be implying that he should've known that was going to happen with great frequency before he even bought the car. Pretty harsh remarks saying that his wife should buy his next car for him - way to be "mature" at 25 pal.

Last edited by yellowEVO21; Dec 6, 2007 at 07:50 AM.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by E\/0IXG$R
Yeah, I'm 28 and I know exactly what you mean. I can't stand the attention the car gets from the cops and the F&F wannabees. I think the older you get, you just want to be low key, and have a little bit of luxury in your ride. That said, having a fast car is always fun. What cars are you looking at replacing the evo with?
+1, except im 25
Old Dec 6, 2007, 03:40 PM

I'm 53 and I love my evo. I had AMS do a complete build and the car is quite fast. Thank you AMS. I use my car as my daily driver. I haul my kids to hockey games all over the state and in all kinds of weather. Yes even snow. I've never had a car that is so well rounded. If there is one thing that can become tiring it would be road and exhaust noise. The exhaust was my choice but the road noise was always there. I accept this as being part of owning a true race vehicle.

Mike

Quick Reply: Sold the Evo..Final Thoughts