Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sold the Evo..Final Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2010, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe I'm nearing the end of my Evo ownership as well. I've had atleast 1 awd turbo mitsu at a time if not more than 1 since 2002. I think it's just time to move on. One thing that seems to be different for me is I very rarely have people try to mess with me. People will look and sometimes acknowledge the car but I can only remember 1 person (viper) ever trying to race me. He was a former evo owner himself come to find out. Getting older sucks lol.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have only really driven the car once and I got some kid wanting to race me. he was in an rsx, it was turbo'd, but I just ignored him and he went his way. that's whats great about extremely dark windows . it does draw attention and expect a lot more idiot kids wanting to race me. been there done that, paid too many fines.

p.s. I'm 27, engaged, looking to purchase my first home. your priorities change and I get that now. always wanted an evo though, and bought it!
Old Nov 2, 2010, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am also in a similar boat. I'm 32, don't track the car, and have many
Kid fans on the street. I recently tested a
Porsche 911 and although lacking the raw punch of the Evo, it seemed like a more refined, more mature machine. I could see trading up soon.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 06:59 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
One of these day I'm going to start an "Over-40 Evo Owner Thread." I wonder how many of us use (err...) maturity and refinement, whatever they may be, as a car buying criteria.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Im 22, owned my Evo for 2 years now. I live in New York, over populated Long Island and commute 100+miles to and from work/school every day. I cannot recall one situation where I was reved at or attempted to be raced(actually 2 Zo6's LOL). If it did happen and it wasnt something cool ex. viper/z06/cobra... I just putted away( I literally shift my car below 2,500rpm anywhere I go thats how i get 26mpg) If someone says nice car, reply with "thanks man" and walk off. they are saying this because you drive a nice car! Does your car not hold a used car value of more then a brand new civic si, YES!
In closing, buy an evo. put a mini wing(rexspeed) and a non ricer exhaust. dont black the car out or be a ricer yourself.. youll be fine.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm 34 married, 1 kid. I think this car has such a strong image that a lot of people feel like driving one is some guilty fetish they don't want to have to "explain" to their neighbors, family, co-workers, etc. People just know me and who I am and what I am about and accept the fact that I like this "weird" looking car and I'm not going to sell it just to conform. But it isn't even about that, there's no pressure or problems I face just getting along with others or functioning in life because I drive this car.

I never get revved on by kids in Civics, Jettas, Focuses, etc. Whatever is generally considered to be a lesser car in the market or pecking order of performance vehicles will generally just leave me alone. On the contrary, older men in BMWs, middle aged women in SUVs, "kids" in modded pickups are more likely to run up in my rearview, try to keep me from merging, or want to race me.

My car has its wing, its moderate exhaust and I don't plan on changing it one bit. If it is God's Will, I'll be in my 80's driving an Evo XXVIII or whatever and my grandkids will be trying to find a way to get me out of it.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

Im 31 , got 1 kid and drive my evo like a granny.

Just being in this car makes my day every day...its not only about speed and performance, its about a dream come true.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 02:41 PM
Eon

The Evo is a great car..and to be honest I liked the wing it grew on me..the rev from other cars i guess at the time, it was it was just getting old... I really didnt think so many other young guys would have the car at the time...but I cant blame them one bit for buying it....If anybody I knew put it down I just let them drive it and it shut them up pretty quick....

I think someone said something about prioritys change..i think that decision was what it was about... lots of good people here that give advice and want to help out...that is what will make this site truley great...

I guess I just felt older also...wasnt trying to say that anybody else was too old for that car..some people just take things the wrong way..

I knew I wanted some features that were not offered on the Evo..might as well trade up if anything was my thought..means to an end..

I do think where you live does play a part... for every ricer evo hater out there theres someone with an Evo smiling know they got a great car..

Last edited by Eon; Nov 2, 2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 04:19 PM

graphite gray and wingless flies under ricer radar nicely
Old Nov 2, 2010, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

I thought about it for a long time before pulling the trigger. I mean I'm 24, live with my girlfriend, just started my job about 2 months ago and already was driving a 2006 nissan maxima se 6spd. So by society's standards (and my family's) I should have just kept what I had and not gotten a "young kids car." But, I can honestly say that just having something fun to mod and do stuff to on weekends, and then just flat out fun to drive to work every day, was just what the doctor ordered for me. I was slummin big time without a hobby, and Im much happier now.

Screw society's standards, I drive to work everyday in a tie also.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

+1 on the vendor experience. Sometimes I feel like there are only a few competent ones around here.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh man, you should see the looks I get from other parents while picking up my girls from preschool. I actually had this one lady say to me, " I never would have imagined you driving a car like that." I just politely smiled while thinking to myself, what does that mean? It's stock appearing.
I used to get really tired of explaining to everybody that how it looks is the was it comes stock.
I don't even care anymore. I just make the conversation as short as possible by changing the subject to anything else but cars. For me, it's a hobby, not my life.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

This about sealed the deal for me today... I was pulling in from lunch, saw my boss pulling in in front of me and go and park his M3 in his reserved parking spot, and I turned off to park in the peon parking. (true office space moment)

Well I notice him eying me and he gets out and is standing there staring at me waiting for me to come up the stairs to the building. First thought "oh ****, did I cut him off or something on the way back"

He just wanted to give me props, say he loves Evos, and especially the X. He seemed very knowledgeable of them. This guy is an executive for the largest privately owned software engineering company in the country and is probably late 40's early 50's. Obviously he doesn't indulge social norms either if he likes the car, and knows how to have a good time.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 03:13 PM

I like em. Sure there kinda out there when it comes to transportation but if you don't drive it like an idiot then the car is just a great car for any age.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
I'm 34 married, 1 kid. I think this car has such a strong image that a lot of people feel like driving one is some guilty fetish they don't want to have to "explain" to their neighbors, family, co-workers, etc. People just know me and who I am and what I am about and accept the fact that I like this "weird" looking car and I'm not going to sell it just to conform. But it isn't even about that, there's no pressure or problems I face just getting along with others or functioning in life because I drive this car.

I never get revved on by kids in Civics, Jettas, Focuses, etc. Whatever is generally considered to be a lesser car in the market or pecking order of performance vehicles will generally just leave me alone. On the contrary, older men in BMWs, middle aged women in SUVs, "kids" in modded pickups are more likely to run up in my rearview, try to keep me from merging, or want to race me.

My car has its wing, its moderate exhaust and I don't plan on changing it one bit. If it is God's Will, I'll be in my 80's driving an Evo XXVIII or whatever and my grandkids will be trying to find a way to get me out of it.
Very well said. I am only 22 and I for one can already relate to being pressured to conform to "normal" society standards. I get the same questions from my gf of 5 years, family, and others about why I feel the need to be owned by such a kid's car. It is extremely frustrating to be judged based upon the car you drive. They will never understand. It is a passion and I own the car for ME.

Quick Reply: Sold the Evo..Final Thoughts