Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sold the Evo..Final Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2010, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel good about the attention I get driving my car . More than a few times, I have been getting gas and some older person would come up to me and ask about my car. I don't mind chatting
About it ( my car is Debadged ) and most of the time the other person has a regular non performance car. My car is blacked out, and I hardly ever get revved on. If I do, it's usually a car that's turning the other way.
If you want to get another car that does not grab as much attention, you should take a look at the
Evolution X touring edition. It has a more subtle look and more amenities that most want.

Good luck!

N
Old Nov 4, 2010, 12:20 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DRAGHICI
it almost sounds like the story of my life but im older 37 and have the same problems, even more now because i started to mod the exterior and it draws more attention, but you know what I like it!

good luck, look at the new 335 turbo, great car for a family.

I'm now 40 and got another EVO. Your never to old!
Old Nov 4, 2010, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats, I would have liek that one
Old Nov 4, 2010, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by DOUGLAS
Very well said. I am only 22 and I for one can already relate to being pressured to conform to "normal" society standards. I get the same questions from my gf of 5 years, family, and others about why I feel the need to be owned by such a kid's car. It is extremely frustrating to be judged based upon the car you drive. They will never understand. It is a passion and I own the car for ME.
People will judge you for a lot of things in life. I've found out that you can't control what people think, only how you react to it. When you realize this, you set yourself free in a way. When you pay the bills, you get to be the boss of what you drive, among other things. Another good feature of the car is that if you are going to start a family, you put two baby seats in the back with a lot of room to spare and a good amount of stuff in the trunk too. It is both a fun and (what a lot of people miss) functional car too.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I'm 64 and retired. A friend of mine wanted a BMW sports car. "But", he explained, "What would people say if I did that." The result is I drive an Evo and he drives a pint sized Ford pickup. Some people have that herd instinct and some of us don't.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

I understand how you feel. I know a guy thats in his 40's and finally sold his Evo, that was fully built ect. Hope you pick up another badass ride that suits you man
Old Nov 4, 2010, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
I'm 64 and retired. A friend of mine wanted a BMW sports car. "But", he explained, "What would people say if I did that." The result is I drive an Evo and he drives a pint sized Ford pickup. Some people have that herd instinct and some of us don't.
I agree there is a big push by society that says if you hit a certain age, you need to get a car that fits that age group. Screw it. I'm 30 and like driving my EVO. I have a Corolla as a daily driver and it's a great reminder why I have an EVO.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 02:27 PM

im selling mine next!! hahaha
but i agree...owning a evo is more than just owning a car =p
Old Nov 4, 2010, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

When I hit 35, Ill take the wing off.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 02:44 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by metalsaber
I agree there is a big push by society that says if you hit a certain age, you need to get a car that fits that age group. Screw it. I'm 30 and like driving my EVO. I have a Corolla as a daily driver and it's a great reminder why I have an EVO.
There are car people and there are non-car people. When folks are younger, a lot of non-car people take an interest in automobiles, which eventually dwindles. These are the folks who typically cite "maturity" and use words like "grown-up." Their outlook is external. The frame of reference is driven by a desire to appear in front of others. OTOH, automotive enthusiasm is internal. I don't think many of us cared about looking right, when we first discovered cars as we let go of our diapers. One thing to keep in mind, as one gets older, the number of non-car people gets exponentially smaller...unless you drive a Corvette. <grin>
Old Nov 4, 2010, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
There are car people and there are non-car people. When folks are younger, a lot of non-car people take an interest in automobiles, which eventually dwindles. These are the folks who typically cite "maturity" and use words like "grown-up." Their outlook is external. The frame of reference is driven by a desire to appear in front of others. OTOH, automotive enthusiasm is internal. I don't think many of us cared about looking right, when we first discovered cars as we let go of our diapers. One thing to keep in mind, as one gets older, the number of non-car people gets exponentially smaller...unless you drive a Corvette. <grin>
Truer words have never been spoken. I love car's...sometimes I love the way a car looks because it isn't what would be considered traditionally good looking by todays standards. I love 80's cars, The Starion, Turbo II, 944, Dodge Daytona Shelby Turbo Z, Toyota Celica GT Four. My wife thinks those are all ugly. But I think they are al lsexy as hell. Evo kind has that boxy but sleek look to it which is probably why I love the way it looks.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb
I feel bad for your friend. I used to be that guy in some ways. Trying to impress or satiate the "needs" of people who doesn't know or really care who he is a miserable state. I mean really what is the worst thing that could say? Moreover, the question is what would they really do about it besides run their meeley mouth a little bit more? Once you actually think about those two statements for more than 15 minutes that answer becomes really clear: Not a damn thing.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There aren't too many good "car stereotypes." And it is even sadder that some people that deem themselves "car people" are the main ones perpetuating them. To me, if you are a car guy, you like what you like and that's it. You shouldn't have to worry about it if people think you are having a midlife crisis or you need a ***** extension (Corvette, or practically any 2 seater) you are just another douchebag in a BMW or you are a 30K millionaire with a leased base model luxury car like a C class, 3 series or IS. A woman might think a guy is boring if he drives a Camry or an Accord, but their commercials want you to believe he is responsible - good husband material? Depends on who's asking I guess. And of course, anything with a big wing and tuner wheels on it would be a kid's car. A lot of people think they have you pegged as to what type of person you are by finding out what music you listen to, the car you drive and who you voted for. These are the kind of people who aren't my friends and don't get to be close to me in life.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

Haha I dont think age has anything to do with it. Im 18 and hate people reving there ****y cars up..
Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by evo420
hmm... well i have to agree with you about the bad rep the evo gets. but i am ONLY 28 and i think your point about "YOUNG PUNKS" reving on you is silly.. did you have your wing on?? did you have a loud exhaust?? the evo can be as practical car as you want it to be. you want a difrent car thats fine but dont come on here bashing the evo, and a generation to make your self feel beter for being a pu$$y. i mean want a difrent car

thank you please drive thru
Must be one of the revvers out there.

Quick Reply: Sold the Evo..Final Thoughts