Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

OEM paint + good price???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2010, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by signature sound
wow, you must have been sucking in some serious fumes then. maybe you could take all those emoticons and start a thread where you could actually do some good? you don't know him or his capabilities based off a question he has asked.

regardless of your intetions with that post, your information is incorrect. you wouldn't build a house on a ****ty foundation, why would you paint on one? the durability of a paint job has way more to do with several factors, not JUST the clearcoat. didnt your daddy teach you anything?

there are two types of bond, chemical and mechanical. mechanical bond is where the surface has abrasions or pockets to attach the material to.

chemical bond is where the material and surface react to each other, and mesh together by melting or re-liquifying and then drying. but you already knew that right?

so if the basecoat is crap, then it wont matter with the clear, because there will only be crap to stick to.

please dont post your garbage here. these people are truly looking for good information and you have provided nothing but misleading nonsense. if you want to promote your daddys shop, do it with local people. the question was where to get oem paint at a good price. i didnt see anywhere he was asking for soemone to make assumptions.
This is vary good info .....
Old Aug 13, 2010, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I don't think the OP cares anymore as this thread is 3 years old
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
I don't think the OP cares anymore as this thread is 3 years old

actually he does. he is my brother lol. I just joined the forums to get some more info on his ride. we are potentially going to repaint it one of these weekends. He uses the site more for reference than to post, but occasionally a topic cant be found with search.

about me: I have been in the industrial coatings industry for over 13 years. The perk of this is having the working knowledge and access to all types of coatings. DCSHOECO (my brother) and I have worked on a few paint jobs together and they all have come out great. I like to order powder additives and effects/ metallics from China for various projects. With 10 golf carts, 5 cars and several smaller projects under my belt, there has never been two things alike.

Maybe I can get him to do a before and after photo shoot for you guys. At this point, I just hope nothing else falls in his lap preventing him from moving forward with the project. He did mention some bull**** going wrong with his clutch. We will see...
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
actually he does. he is my brother lol. I just joined the forums to get some more info on his ride. we are potentially going to repaint it one of these weekends. He uses the site more for reference than to post, but occasionally a topic cant be found with search.

about me: I have been in the industrial coatings industry for over 13 years. The perk of this is having the working knowledge and access to all types of coatings. DCSHOECO (my brother) and I have worked on a few paint jobs together and they all have come out great. I like to order powder additives and effects/ metallics from China for various projects. With 10 golf carts, 5 cars and several smaller projects under my belt, there has never been two things alike.

Maybe I can get him to do a before and after photo shoot for you guys. At this point, I just hope nothing else falls in his lap preventing him from moving forward with the project. He did mention some bull**** going wrong with his clutch. We will see...

Awesome man. I have friends and family in the industry and have learned a lot over the years as far as body and prep work goes but I have never tried to paint outside of rattle canning though. It takes a lot of practice and good tools go a long way
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

practice practice practice. hands on training is great. we painted my evo a few months ago learned a lot. now i want to change up the color but with something you dont see every day . it has to be different from others.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 02:16 PM

please dont post your garbage here. these people are truly looking for good information and you have provided nothing but misleading nonsense. if you want to promote your daddys shop, do it with local people. the question was where to get oem paint at a good price. i didnt see anywhere he was asking for soemone to make assumptions.
Woah... simmer down man. The point of my post was you don't buy OEM paint. It's mixed by a professional. Also I didn't mention any specifics to promote "daddys" business anywhere in my reply... anyway, good luck with the project.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by djikonatx
practice practice practice. hands on training is great. we painted my evo a few months ago learned a lot. now i want to change up the color but with something you dont see every day . it has to be different from others.

YES! x 1,000,000. If you are using base coat/ clear coat then you could add some effect to the clear coat. If you go on ebay, there is a guy selling pearl powders. It sounds fruity, but the pearls can be combined to make some really sick colors. He sells them in dime bags and they are cheap. Each packet is enough to add to a quart of clear, but it depends on the opacity you want. Each packet is like $15. Paint shops charge thousands to do a paint job with the exact same stuff in it. Save yourself the cash.

Here is an example, you have the three primary colors; blue, red, yellow. You also have the two shades; black and white. If you were to order these 5 items you could make any color in the rainbow. OR, if you knew that green was definitely what you want, but didnt know exactly what shade, just order blue, yellow and black. The blue and yellow makes green, but the black can be added to make it darker. Metallics, flash effect, pearls, micas... they can be added to the paint for a subtle effect. But if you really want them to pop in the sun, put them in the clear. Be sure to remember that they can change the color underneath though. For example: If you paint the car red, and then put a polar white pearl over it, you will have pink!

One of the differences betweena good paint job and a GREAT paint job is how well it is buffed. The prep work is important, the color is too, but if you have a bunch of metallics in there, the overall smoothness is not going to be good. The metallics cause what looks like orange peel, but its not. Orange peel comes from a lack of flow or ability for the material to lay down from gravity. Orange peel comes from the paint or clear not having enough drying time. Surface tension causes the paint to hang up in areas not allowing it to fully move around. It dries in that spot and on a microscopic level has dips and valleys that makes it uneven. metallics are like chunks in the material that cause the uneveness. So theres a slight difference between the two, but either way, make sure to have enough clearcoat over your color to be buffed a few times. Usually 4 coats is good. You buff 1 coat off each time it needs it. By the third buff, you will be ready for a paint job again.

Practice is key like djikonatx said. You can practice on something small and insignificant like a bike. This will get you used to vertical surface application. Sags and runs are the worst to deal with, but with practice, you wont have to worry about it. The equipment is not as important as the material used. You can get a $30 gun from Menards and use PPG paint, no one would know. Do your home work and ask lots of questions. Watch Horsepower TV and even hang out with the homeboys at a body shop for a few minutes. You would be surprised at the tricks you will pick up on.