Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

OEM paint + good price???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2007, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM paint + good price???

Is there a place you can order oem paint at a good price? Looking to repaint my 03 bby evo same color.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

id like to know also , anybody???
Old Dec 1, 2007, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 Me too. lol. Mitsubishi paint FTL!
Old Dec 2, 2007, 06:18 AM

Guess no one knows? Can you get it from the dealership? Bet they bend you over pretty good if you can!
Old Dec 2, 2007, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

When you find it I hope you do a better job than did..........
Old Dec 2, 2007, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

Sneezing on orignal paint scratches it
Old Dec 2, 2007, 06:58 AM
BBS
Evolved Member

car manufacturers almost always outsource their paint from some other paint manufacturer. give the service parts guys a call. i'm sure theyll tell you who provides the o.e stuff.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 06:59 AM

Look for an auto body supply store, they almost always mix paint in house. All you have to do is choose the system ( Sikens/ Du Pont.....ect.) and is best to stay with the same system for all the products. Only white and black can be shot right out of the can with no tinting..almost all other colors require tweeks to get a perfect match. And if you have never painted a car..then do not, it is not DIY at all.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:19 AM

Hey man, I'll paint it for you. When you looking to get it done? I will check into material costs asap and get back to you. Nice ride BTW.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

if you take it to to a local place where they sell paint they will match it. just make sure to tell them to match it to the color code in you engine bay by on the firewall. that is how i did mine. the paint wasnt expensive at all. prob like 150 at the most.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 06:08 PM

I just got back from my local paint supply and the range is $40 to $60 per quart for Blue Effect (depending on brand). I would bet BBY is cheaper since its not metallic. It takes 3 quarts with a 1:1 mix ratio netting 1 1/2 gallons. This would be enough to do door sills, firewall, interior trim pieces and some engine dress up.

A gallon of clear coat is $85 with activator and I have a ton of powders to add to it for a more custom look if want to go that route?? With your help we could knock it out in a weekend.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

just get ppg.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 06:29 PM

that is PPG. they have different paint "levels". Sikkens is their best, and Omni is their econo line. But its still all PPG.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by dcshoeco
Is there a place you can order oem paint at a good price? Looking to repaint my 03 bby evo same color.
Are you wanting to paint it yourself or something? It's going to look much worse if you do.

Take it to a reputable paint shop. They should be able to match any color. How it works is they look up the manufacturers paint code and their paint supplier (whether its PPG, dupont or whoever) will give them a formula. They will mix the formula and then fine tune it to match perfect. BTW, the durability of the paint job is all in the clear, not the base coat.

Oh, my dad has owned a body shop for 25 years so I've been around the business for a while
Old Aug 13, 2010, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by henrys
Are you wanting to paint it yourself or something? It's going to look much worse if you do.

Take it to a reputable paint shop. They should be able to match any color. How it works is they look up the manufacturers paint code and their paint supplier (whether its PPG, dupont or whoever) will give them a formula. They will mix the formula and then fine tune it to match perfect. BTW, the durability of the paint job is all in the clear, not the base coat.

Oh, my dad has owned a body shop for 25 years so I've been around the business for a while
wow, you must have been sucking in some serious fumes then. maybe you could take all those emoticons and start a thread where you could actually do some good? you don't know him or his capabilities based off a question he has asked.

regardless of your intetions with that post, your information is incorrect. you wouldn't build a house on a ****ty foundation, why would you paint on one? the durability of a paint job has way more to do with several factors, not JUST the clearcoat. didnt your daddy teach you anything?

there are two types of bond, chemical and mechanical. mechanical bond is where the surface has abrasions or pockets to attach the material to.

chemical bond is where the material and surface react to each other, and mesh together by melting or re-liquifying and then drying. but you already knew that right?

so if the basecoat is crap, then it wont matter with the clear, because there will only be crap to stick to.

please dont post your garbage here. these people are truly looking for good information and you have provided nothing but misleading nonsense. if you want to promote your daddys shop, do it with local people. the question was where to get oem paint at a good price. i didnt see anywhere he was asking for soemone to make assumptions.

Quick Reply: OEM paint + good price???