Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I got hosed on my Evo IX MR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by i8yourSTi
30 days? This isn't a video game or a shirt that you bought at the mall...

You have 24 or 48 hours to void the paperwork if I'm not mistaken. Correct me if I'm wrong someone.
It may vary by state but I believe it's three days.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:59 AM

i believe you can return it within 30 days, if im not mistaken.

if your not happy, whats the point of spending 30+ and getting something thats already been damaged, and they are already F'n you around.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How did you even get into the car through the door that is jacked up without noticing? If the car was clean when you approached it I would think you'd notice scratches or rubber ripped especially if you are making a "showcar" lol. Usually people w/ showcars have a pretty quick eye for noticing scratches.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

Well Ive been working on getting a evo for about a year now. I have been working on this one evo for about a month, I drive 11 hours to get it. Im exhausted and cant wait to just get home. The scratches are small. Not really noticable, but I still think is bullcrap! The car was in the show room for the whole year they had it. It has never been parked outside. They had it outside ready for me to drive off when I got there. Again, I am not going to return the car!
Old Dec 6, 2007, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lemmonhead
3 things you need to do.
#1 talk to the manager at the dealership and tell him, you want new tires and the rubber and whatever else fixed or you will call the Consumer Protection Association/Federal Trade Commision
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/consumer.shtm
#2 if the delership ignores you, file with the CPA and FTC and also file with the BBB, better business Beaural.
#3 file at a small claims court,no lawyer is necessary and if you win they pay for all expenses. I have won all my claims by the way!!!
Thank you for the great info bro!
Old Dec 6, 2007, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by GotBoost25psi
Well Ive been working on getting a evo for about a year now. I have been working on this one evo for about a month, I drive 11 hours to get it. Im exhausted and cant wait to just get home. The scratches are small. Not really noticable, but I still think is bullcrap! The car was in the show room for the whole year they had it. It has never been parked outside. They had it outside ready for me to drive off when I got there. Again, I am not going to return the car!
If you're not going to return it then, as I said earlier, consider it a lesson learned. Dealerships will screw you every chance they get, which is why you must closely examine any car you're going to purchase. It's not right they get away with such tactics, but that doesn't mean you can't protect yourself in the future.

A few friendly suggestions to save yourself some headaches...

Get everything in writing.

Carefully examine the car before you purchase it, no matter how cold, how dark, etc. Make sure you look under floormats, in the trunk, under the hood, inspect the paint, etc etc.

Don't drive a show car 700 miles. You had mentioned ice...was this ice on the ground? Or falling from the sky? If it was freezing rain there's a good chance scratches were caused by that. Your best bet...don't drive a show car. Get a trailer and haul it back.

Originally Posted by lemmonhead
3 things you need to do.
#1 talk to the manager at the dealership and tell him, you want new tires and the rubber and whatever else fixed or you will call the Consumer Protection Association/Federal Trade Commision
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/consumer.shtm
#2 if the delership ignores you, file with the CPA and FTC and also file with the BBB, better business Beaural.
#3 file at a small claims court,no lawyer is necessary and if you win they pay for all expenses. I have won all my claims by the way!!!
Let me make one more post to say that those solutions may not help you in the long run. When you purchased the car you purchased everything about it. If there were scratches, you paid for those. If the tires were rotted, you paid for those too. The fact that you drove it 700 miles before noticing will seriously hurt your chances of having a legitimate argument, because there's absolutely no way to prove the dealer knew about the damage.

Again, I'm not trying to stick up for stealerships lol just offering some advice for any future purchases

Last edited by rane; Dec 6, 2007 at 08:22 AM.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

In California, you have 3 days to return it ONLY if the car had been delivered to you-not at the dealership. On used, dealers have to offer a 3 or 5 day return option on it, but if you take it, you have to pay for it. Some manufacturers offer a 3-day return on "Certified" used cars as well. If they didn't copy your DL, and need it to complete the transaction, it sounds like you can use that to get your money back. The dry-rotted tires also qualify as a "Safety" item that the law dictates they replace. You probably can also use this to get your money back. The smart thing to do would be to consult your DMV about your rights in this matter, and then talk to the dealer after you've educated yourself on it. They know what rights you have, and if you come across knowing what they are, they probably won't fight. If you come across as not knowing what they are, they could tell you to go pound sand.
By the sound of it, I'd probably look to get your money back, instead of having the items fixed. Car sounds like a roach, and the selling dealer is too far away to be convienient for you to take it back repeatedly.
Good luck with it!
Old Dec 6, 2007, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

You bought a car and didn't even look at it before signing the paperwork?

Hope you get everything worked out, dude.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

I did look at it, just not with a microscope. The scratches are small. Cant see them from a couple feet away.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rane

Let me make one more post to say that those solutions may not help you in the long run. When you purchased the car you purchased everything about it. If there were scratches, you paid for those. If the tires were rotted, you paid for those too. The fact that you drove it 700 miles before noticing will seriously hurt your chances of having a legitimate argument, because there's absolutely no way to prove the dealer knew about the damage.
No none fell from the sky it was just a little build up of ice on the road from earlier that day. The scratches are inside the door jam. On the tires, the dealership already admitted to knowing the tires where rotted.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Hey well at least u got a new MR. U just picked up a 1 out of 4,000 units car. Dont worry everything can be fixed on it. Start modding it, and u will forget all your problems!

I know in nevada there is no grace period at all. Once u drive away from the dealer its yours.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

look in the glove box, the tire manufacturer (yokohama) warranties the tires.
mitsubishi is unable to do anything about tires really, as they are not made by mitsubishi. they are sourced by an outside vendor. there is a pamphlet in the owners manual folder, find it; call the number. they will probably send you to a tire store that sells yokohamas to verify condition and tread depth, then authorize replacement. as for scratches...... most car dealer that knows about them will fix them before you see them, they really dont want to sell you a new car with existing problems (starting off on a bad foot) they would like you to have a good experience and maybe return some day. nothing shady about fixing problems before you see them as long as they are repaired properly.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

all dealerships are not out to get you. but they do have to make a living. gotta pay for those lights on the lot, or else where you gonna go buy your new evo
Old Dec 6, 2007, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GotBoost25psi
It's wholesale value was at 23k they gave me 20k, Thats typical.
I hope you got an awesome price on the Evo. They have been trying to sell that thing for a while. Its been on autotrader forever and they've had it on ebay auctions a couple times. Even if it its perfect shape, you probably couldn't sell it for more than $28k.

Regarding the probs, sounds like you just dropped some money on tuition to the school of hard knocks. You gotta look over a car before you buy it! Don't expect them to do anything at this point -- and to be honest, why should they? Can you even with 100% accuracy say the scratches didn't happen on the way home?
Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:01 PM

I hope you get this figured out and you end up being happy with the car. I always wished I would have gotten a red EVO.

Quick Reply: I got hosed on my Evo IX MR