Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I got hosed on my Evo IX MR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GotBoost25psi
I bought a 06 RR Evo MR, from Kirkwood Mitsubishi in Missouri. I worked a deal for about 3 weeks before getting it. I live 700 miles away so its not like I could drop by and check it out. I was going to trade my 06 GMC Z71 Crew cab in on it. It's wholesale value was at 23k they gave me 20k, Thats typical. But the only thing I asked from them is that they have cruise control put on the car before I get there. The day before I left they call and tell me they didnt get it on. I already paid them for it, they said they would ship me a check to cover it (3 weeks still havent gotten it). I drove 12 hours to get there and its sitting outside and looks sexy . Its about 20 degrees outside so I check it out and got inside (im from texas wasnt as cold, so I was in a t shirt ) . We got right after paper work and after the paperwork was done, jumped in the car and drove away, which turned out the big the biggest mistake ive made so far. It took us 15 hours to get home because of thick ice. I got up the next morning and went and washed it and felt sick . The driver side door has been broken into at the dealership and is scratched all up and the rubber is torn. The plastic underneath is broken and hanging down. The Advans are dry rotted! I called them and told them this. They said it just got new tires on it, they cant be dry rotted. Well tires dont dry rot over night! I talked to the sales mgr. He said they where going to get new tires on it and never got around to it. He said that since the car is now titled it will be hard for him to get new tires. He says he might be able to do a good business deal and get them, Just maybe. So now im like WTH! He calls me back and tells me that they forgot to get a copy of my drivers license and they can not title my car in my name untill I do and there is no way they can do the good business deal on the tires if the car isnt in my name... What!?!?!? They just said they cant do it because its titled and now that its not, They cant do anything?????? Thats as far as Ive gotten on the tires so far. But on the rest of it. What they asked is did I look the car over before I bought it. No, But why should I have to look over a car that they are selling as *New*?????????
This is what I wouldn't do if I were you:

Anything that would jeopardize winning your case in court.

This is what I would do if I were you:

If you have an itemized receipt, send them a certified letter stating you did not receive the goods/services in question, and tell them to please send a check for the full amount owed. If they did charge you for it, bet on the price being steep, which is good. Keep it brief, professional, to the point, and polite (you may have to see this document again in court so don't make yourself look bad, don't deviate from the truth, etc.). Include only your mailing address and ask them to please respond IN WRITING (better for building your case). If they dig up your info and call you, tell them to please respond in writing. They are slick talkers...that's what they do...so don't confront them on their turf (after all, they sold you a car without putting the things they said they would...and most likely had no intention of even putting on in the first place...). If you do talk to them, record the conversation (tell them you are doing so, and/or won't do so unless the conversation is recorded.)

If they don't respond in due time, or respond with the wrong answer, open a case with the small claims court. They'll probably settle at that point. If they don't, you have some stuff to show in court. Also bring pictures of your car, and the places are where your equipment should have been. Civil court is judged based on a preponderance of the evidence, so it will probably hold up in court, given the reputation of car dealers...

If you don't have it in writing...caveat emptor, lesson learned. It's much harder to show, based on a preponderance of the evidence, what was or wasn't said, but not written down, during the course of the transaction.

Last edited by machron1; Dec 6, 2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Damn dealers.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks man.

Originally Posted by machron1
This is what I wouldn't do if I were you:

Anything that would jeopardize winning your case in court.

This is what I would do if I were you:

If you have an itemized receipt, send them a certified letter stating you did not receive the goods/services in question, and tell them to please send a check for the full amount owed. If they did charge you for it, bet on the price being steep, which is good. Keep it brief, professional, to the point, and polite (you may have to see this document again in court so don't make yourself look bad, don't deviate from the truth, etc.). Include only your mailing address and ask them to please respond IN WRITING (better for building your case). If they dig up your info and call you, tell them to please respond in writing. They are slick talkers...that's what they do...so don't confront them on their turf (after all, they sold you a car without putting the things they said they would...and most likely had no intention of even putting on in the first place...). If you do talk to them, record the conversation (tell them you are doing so, and/or won't do so unless the conversation is recorded.)

If they don't respond in due time, or respond with the wrong answer, open a case with the small claims court. They'll probably settle at that point. If they don't, you have some stuff to show in court. Also bring pictures of your car, and the places are where your equipment should have been. Civil court is judged based on a preponderance of the evidence, so it will probably hold up in court, given the reputation of car dealers...

If you don't have it in writing...caveat emptor, lesson learned. It's much harder to show, based on a preponderance of the evidence, what was or wasn't said, but not written down, during the course of the transaction.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evosean
look in the glove box, the tire manufacturer (yokohama) warranties the tires.
mitsubishi is unable to do anything about tires really, as they are not made by mitsubishi. they are sourced by an outside vendor. there is a pamphlet in the owners manual folder, find it; call the number. they will probably send you to a tire store that sells yokohamas to verify condition and tread depth, then authorize replacement. as for scratches...... most car dealer that knows about them will fix them before you see them, they really dont want to sell you a new car with existing problems (starting off on a bad foot) they would like you to have a good experience and maybe return some day. nothing shady about fixing problems before you see them as long as they are repaired properly.
On the tires, thats what they said they are doing, is working with yokohoma.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Dude your zero lift kit is all beat up like mine.My car is lowered and has 15,xxx miles on it.I would have a serious talk with the dealer about the condition of the car.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

I know, I would like to, but they have me by the ***** . I screwed up.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GotBoost25psi
I know, I would like to, but they have me by the ***** . I screwed up.
That sucks. Here is my advice -- ignore all the amateur advice in this thread and call a lawyer.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

BTW -- if they really haven't titled it, that works to your advantage. I would tell them to take the car back and give me a refund as a starting point.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 08:33 PM

give the car back. it is all banged up!!!
Old Dec 6, 2007, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

If you financed the car with them the bank will need a copy of your DL before they fund the dealer for the deal. So do not give them the copy of your DL that they forgot to get until they satisfied all your problems. If they do not comply tell them to come get the car all the way in Texas, trust me this will get their attention. The bank will not pay them until they give them a copy of your DL, you got them by the *****. If you did not finance it through them then nevermind my post.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Dood,

That front lip is a easy fix. All u need is some small L brackets from a hardware store. Then u drill them into the top of the undertray slightly above the bottom of the front fender.. It will lift the plastic up so it sits flush with the bottom of the bumper.

But, ya that sucks on a new car...
Old Dec 6, 2007, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Double-post, my bad.

Last edited by ducker; Dec 6, 2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ducker
Dood,

That front lip is a easy fix. All u need is some small L brackets from a hardware store. Then u drill them into the top of the undertray slightly above the bottom of the front fender.. It will lift the plastic up so it sits flush with the bottom of the bumper.

But, ya that sucks on a new car...
Yea, I own a car audio store, we specialize in "custom fitting" lol. I appreciate the help though!
Old Dec 6, 2007, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Yodobashi
That sucks. Here is my advice -- ignore all the amateur advice in this thread and call a lawyer.
In the end, I will get my tires, even if not, these will be gone when I put on my new rims. So all thats left is the little scratches and the peice on the front. Not worth getting a lawyer over. Again, thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: I got hosed on my Evo IX MR