Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I got hosed on my Evo IX MR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got hosed on my Evo IX MR

I bought a 06 RR Evo MR, from Kirkwood Mitsubishi in Missouri. I worked a deal for about 3 weeks before getting it. I live 700 miles away so its not like I could drop by and check it out. I was going to trade my 06 GMC Z71 Crew cab in on it. It's wholesale value was at 23k they gave me 20k, Thats typical. But the only thing I asked from them is that they have cruise control put on the car before I get there. The day before I left they call and tell me they didnt get it on. I already paid them for it, they said they would ship me a check to cover it (3 weeks still havent gotten it). I drove 12 hours to get there and its sitting outside and looks sexy . Its about 20 degrees outside so I check it out and got inside (im from texas wasnt as cold, so I was in a t shirt ) . We got right after paper work and after the paperwork was done, jumped in the car and drove away, which turned out the big the biggest mistake ive made so far. It took us 15 hours to get home because of thick ice. I got up the next morning and went and washed it and felt sick . The driver side door has been broken into at the dealership and is scratched all up and the rubber is torn. The plastic underneath is broken and hanging down. The Advans are dry rotted! I called them and told them this. They said it just got new tires on it, they cant be dry rotted. Well tires dont dry rot over night! I talked to the sales mgr. He said they where going to get new tires on it and never got around to it. He said that since the car is now titled it will be hard for him to get new tires. He says he might be able to do a good business deal and get them, Just maybe. So now im like WTH! He calls me back and tells me that they forgot to get a copy of my drivers license and they can not title my car in my name untill I do and there is no way they can do the good business deal on the tires if the car isnt in my name... What!?!?!? They just said they cant do it because its titled and now that its not, They cant do anything?????? Thats as far as Ive gotten on the tires so far. But on the rest of it. What they asked is did I look the car over before I bought it. No, But why should I have to look over a car that they are selling as *New*?????????
Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

I have pictures on my camera, I keep forgetting to upload to my computer. I will upload them tonight if I remember
Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

That's how they get you.

I use to work at a car dealership, so I know all about it. Cars would actaully come in DAMAGED, and if it was going out that day, they would call the guy to come spray whatever needed to be painted, or taking dents out EVEN before you see the car, so you would never know.

Dealerships are very grimey, and they are good at it.

They are right though about not looking over the car. Regardless if it's coming from a dealership, private or your friends you should ALWAYS check the car over. You shouldn't have to thinking it's brand new from the dealer, but after you sign the papers and you leave with it, the deal is all said and done.

As far as the tires go, I think you have a case with that, because tires can't dry rot over night, so they had to be like that. I for one don't look at the tires when I buy a brand new car. It's a new car, it should have brand new tires and that's that.

Good luck with anything.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:13 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
dude wearranty,,,, do not let then Di** you around they will try at their best,,,, you hacve to be strong and stand in your grounds and tell them that what you paid for wich is warranty,,,, they better cover it
Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:15 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
also if i am not mistaking you have 30 days to return this product, look into that,,,, dont get in loved with the car there are a couple hundred of them sitting around specially MR's,,,,,, do it right if you dont you will regret the purchase,,,,, an Evo is a fun car, you need to enjoy it,,,, therefore get your facts, and dispute it,

you need a good talker i can help you out
Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

I think they are going to cover the tires. But im building a show car so the scratches are a pain in the neck. I will have to get quite a bit of the car repainted. On a car with 1k miles .
Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
also if i am not mistaking you have 30 days to return this product, look into that,,,, dont get in loved with the car there are a couple hundred of them sitting around specially MR's,,,,,, do it right if you dont you will regret the purchase,,,,, an Evo is a fun car, you need to enjoy it,,,, therefore get your facts, and dispute it,

30 days? This isn't a video game or a shirt that you bought at the mall...

You have 24 or 48 hours to void the paperwork if I'm not mistaken. Correct me if I'm wrong someone.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by apagan01

I appreciate it. But I am not interested. These small things are litterly small. It just ticks me off. Not worth trying to get my truck back, getting this car back up there.... and so on.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by GotBoost25psi
I bought a 06 RR Evo MR, from Kirkwood Mitsubishi in Missouri. I worked a deal for about 3 weeks before getting it. I live 700 miles away so its not like I could drop by and check it out. I was going to trade my 06 GMC Z71 Crew cab in on it. It's wholesale value was at 23k they gave me 20k, Thats typical. But the only thing I asked from them is that they have cruise control put on the car before I get there. The day before I left they call and tell me they didnt get it on. I already paid them for it, they said they would ship me a check to cover it (3 weeks still havent gotten it). I drove 12 hours to get there and its sitting outside and looks sexy . Its about 20 degrees outside so I check it out and got inside (im from texas wasnt as cold, so I was in a t shirt ) . We got right after paper work and after the paperwork was done, jumped in the car and drove away, which turned out the big the biggest mistake ive made so far. It took us 15 hours to get home because of thick ice. I got up the next morning and went and washed it and felt sick . The driver side door has been broken into at the dealership and is scratched all up and the rubber is torn. The plastic underneath is broken and hanging down. The Advans are dry rotted! I called them and told them this. They said it just got new tires on it, they cant be dry rotted. Well tires dont dry rot over night! I talked to the sales mgr. He said they where going to get new tires on it and never got around to it. He said that since the car is now titled it will be hard for him to get new tires. He says he might be able to do a good business deal and get them, Just maybe. So now im like WTH! He calls me back and tells me that they forgot to get a copy of my drivers license and they can not title my car in my name untill I do and there is no way they can do the good business deal on the tires if the car isnt in my name... What!?!?!? They just said they cant do it because its titled and now that its not, They cant do anything?????? Thats as far as Ive gotten on the tires so far. But on the rest of it. What they asked is did I look the car over before I bought it. No, But why should I have to look over a car that they are selling as *New*?????????
Not to take sides, but how did you get into the car without noticing it was scratched up with rubber torn away? From my experience, any car that's left outside is not "new." I honestly don't care what anyone says...if it's at least a year old and sitting out in the elements, I expect them to knock off a grand (at least) on the spot. I might not always get it, but it's one of the first arguments I make. That is, of course, after I've given it the once over.

As for the cruise control, in my very limited experience I've never heard of a dealership installing it on an Evo...much less charging for it. If they said that's what they were going to do, then absolutely go after them for it. Also, if this deal was made in writing, make sure to stick it in their face.

It sounds like they're giving you a bit of run around with the title (which is not cool), but as an objective observer on the internets, I'm compelled to ask the same questions they are. The fact that you mention driving it home for 15 hours in heavy ice on stock tires also concerns me. Perhaps the dealership suspects you had a bit of an accident and now want to pin the scratches on them?

Best of luck to you, and I would definitely consider this a lesson learned. It's ALWAYS a good idea to carefully inspect what you're buying, and to make sure you get everything in writing.

Last edited by rane; Dec 6, 2007 at 07:25 AM.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by i8yourSTi
TCars would actaully come in DAMAGED, and if it was going out that day, they would call the guy to come spray whatever needed to be painted, or taking dents out EVEN before you see the car, so you would never know.
ya or we'd damage them on the lot and have the painter guy come in and fix it before they'd see the car lol. I dont care what car dealership it is, there all a bunch of *******s. They think there high class people and they try to come off as friendly. I got kicked out of the auto auction yesterday cause i dont have a dealer licenese and got fined, it was pretty much one giant place for millions of douchebags to gather together to buy ****ty cars with problems at stupid low cost than **** u over by selling u it x2 what they paid. 05 lancer 43k miles - 2,500bucks / 03evo8 32k miles 13,500 bet u they will sell it for 20k
Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

The dealership i worked at bought a repoed 2006 MR with 15k miles on it for $23k and flipped it and sold it for $34k
Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:27 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3 things you need to do.
#1 talk to the manager at the dealership and tell him, you want new tires and the rubber and whatever else fixed or you will call the Consumer Protection Association/Federal Trade Commision
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/consumer.shtm
#2 if the delership ignores you, file with the CPA and FTC and also file with the BBB, better business Beaural.
#3 file at a small claims court,no lawyer is necessary and if you win they pay for all expenses. I have won all my claims by the way!!!
Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry you had a bad experience. There's something to be said about working with a local dealer. They would have trucked it in and looked it over and dealt with any of these initial headaches for you.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is what you need to do: take it back
I belive there are laws that you can return a car within a certain amount of days no matter what.
Take it back, get your truck back and wait for another one to come around. I wouldn't deal with that bs.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EclipseMblue
it was pretty much one giant place for millions of douchebags to gather together to buy ****ty cars with problems at stupid low cost than **** u over by selling u it x2 what they paid. 05 lancer 43k miles - 2,500bucks / 03evo8 32k miles 13,500 bet u they will sell it for 20k

Yeah, that is a load of horse crap. I buy at auctions all the time and NEVER have either of those car been ran thru and sold at that price. Even wrecked they dont sell for that, the bid might be there, but it will not sell.

Yes they buy the cars for less there, that is because it is an AUTO DEALERS AUCTION, not for the public. Dealers buy the cars at a WHOLESALE price. What do you expect them to do? Sell you they cars they buy for what they pay for? This is America, every needs to make money or there is no point in even trying to sell cars. Even if the dealer sell the car for excatly what he paid for it at auction, that dealer will LOOSE money right off. There are so many other expenses against the car that the general public doesnt understand.

In seriousness, I think you arent telling the whole truth in being kicked out of an auction. Unless you tryied to buy a car with out a dealers license, in that case I am really surprised they didnt have you arrested. The auction really doesnt check for biders badges unless you are buying something. Hell, I dont even have mine visable when Im walking arround until after I have bought something.

I will agree tho with that there are some dealers that will just buy about anything wrecked or not. Especially Carmax. I will NEVER tell anyone to buy from them. If you practice safe buying tips and common sense you wont get screwed. Do the same thing people on here tell new member, SEARCH. Research your potential new/used vehicle before buying.

Quick Reply: I got hosed on my Evo IX MR