Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

People Dissing the Art of Drifting

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2003, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
drifters are people who secretly love dukes of hazzard but can't admit it.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMG! I can't believe what I am hearing! The members of evolutionm.net not having a single clue about what drifting is all about ?!! And here I thought I let you guys see what the VWVortex people have put up so you guys can .

Go here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=939013&page=3 and read what I put up for the people of VWVortex (I'm under the same name over there as I am here. Just look for the cartoonish diagrams and you'll see my post). I didn't really think I'd have to put this up for the people of evolutionm.net tho'... .

As you read the post I put up, maybe you'll start to understand the concept behind drifting, and it's main purpose is NOT just for show. Just because you see displays around the country of cars drifting doesn't mean the point of drifting is just for exhibition. It's all physics and science and skills and control of the driver.

And for those of you dying to hear me say it, drifting, the PRINCIPLE of drifting, is all about taking ideal line of a track while maintaining speed, therefore, finishing the course at optimal times. If done right, a driver CAN finish a course FASTER then a driver using grip driving methods. Read my post in the VWVortex if you want the explanation... enjoy!

Last edited by EvoCorp; Jul 19, 2003 at 12:11 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by engineerboy
The only reason that I'd feel like after reading it is that it's such classic schoolyard "I'm right, your're wrong! So there!" BS through most of it. And the usual "I didn't really read your post, but I'm going to ***** at you anyway"

SPECTACULAR explanation at the end.
Thanks alot engineerboy. Feels good to be acknowledged ...
Old Jul 18, 2003, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

hey, evocorp, i agreed with your statement over there too. thought it was great, and well worded. anyways, like you said at vw, initial d is what got me into drifting too. i was sorta into it before, but got a real interest when i saw initial d for the first time. if you don't own it or haven't seen it, get battle stage. they redid all of the cg battles from stages 1 and 2 and took the battles from the movie and put it all together. a little out of order, but its still an awesome disc. didn't expect too much outta it, but i downloaded it, and it is awesome. special stage isn't all that great, though. oh, and one more point in favor of drifting, the guy that started the drifting craze(kinda) in japan used drifting in races to get faster times in his laps. pick up the drifting magazine thats outs now by Import Racer. lots of great info, and a great interview with a kid who's been into the drifting scene since it more or less started in japan. great stuff. are any of you guys gonna attend the D1 championship in CA? i'd love too, but i'm in va :P
Old Jul 19, 2003, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by xjapx
hey, evocorp, i agreed with your statement over there too. thought it was great, and well worded. anyways, like you said at vw, initial d is what got me into drifting too. i was sorta into it before, but got a real interest when i saw initial d for the first time. if you don't own it or haven't seen it, get battle stage. they redid all of the cg battles from stages 1 and 2 and took the battles from the movie and put it all together. a little out of order, but its still an awesome disc. didn't expect too much outta it, but i downloaded it, and it is awesome. special stage isn't all that great, though. oh, and one more point in favor of drifting, the guy that started the drifting craze(kinda) in japan used drifting in races to get faster times in his laps. pick up the drifting magazine thats outs now by Import Racer. lots of great info, and a great interview with a kid who's been into the drifting scene since it more or less started in japan. great stuff. are any of you guys gonna attend the D1 championship in CA? i'd love too, but i'm in va :P
Yeah, I have the Initial D DVDs and downloaded the Battle Stage. And yeah... I watched it... like... FIFTY times, lolz! I know, it's just a cartoon and all, but it's still very awesome to watch, and just because it's drawn doesn't mean it's "fictional". I got Extra Stage too... it's aiight I guess, but I like the main story lines a little better. Thanks for your input xjapx... appreciate it ...
Old Jul 19, 2003, 04:59 AM
N/A
Evolving Member

In order to have been around since drifting started would mean the person is at least in their mid to late 30s since drifting started in the 80s in Japan. It did start out as a way to shave off speed and point the car in the direction you wanted to be going when you exit a corner. However thats only still done by guys who do mountain drifting and not the people you see drifting around long open sweeping corners. Its very hard on tires as well as cars but when done in actual racing it is a beutiful thing. After spending more then 5yrs in Japan watching drifting gets really old just like watching drag racing does. I'd watch guys race mountains roads any chance I got though.
Old Jul 19, 2003, 05:11 AM

Originally posted by EvoCorp

And for those of you dying to hear me say it, drifting, the PRINCIPLE of drifting, is all about taking ideal line of a track while maintaining speed, therefore, finishing the course at optimal times. If done right, a driver CAN finish a course FASTER then a driver using grip driving methods. Read my post in the VWVortex if you want the explanation... enjoy!
No offense, I think you're mistaken cartoon and reality.

LOL, I wonder why I don't see anybody drifting at F1 if drifting line is "the fastest" line around track? Or any other road course racing series for that matter?

just my $0.02
Old Jul 19, 2003, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

While drifting may be faster in some corners, it also kills your tires faster. The minimal amount of time you save drifting isn't worth a pit stop every 2-3 laps.

In organized racing like F1 where they're racing all day long, it's a race of endurance - pit stopping every 3 laps would not be ideal for their final track times.
Old Jul 19, 2003, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Actually drifting takes extreem car control. The best drifters in japan are also the champions of most of their racing series. It takes a lot of skill to do, especially fast. Most competitions are real fun to watch just to see how poorly people drive and how they think they have what it takes becuase for some reason they think it's easier than racing, when it's not. Controlling a car over the limits of grip is much harder than controlling a vehicle below the cars grip limit or playing around the edge of the cars grip limit.

It was either R&T or C&D that did a drift and wet over steer skid pad competition with many drivers in a Z06 and the best drivers were the ones who could hang it out and were also the fastest while keeping it hung out.
Old Jul 19, 2003, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

I have spent a few years running road courses on motorcycles and karts. Drifting may not be the fastest way through every corner in a car, but you sure as heck better be good at it for those times when things get out of shape or crossed up! I respect people who drift a car well, it shows how much control they have of a car on the edge.
Old Jul 20, 2003, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by evo8ove

LOL, I wonder why I don't see anybody drifting at F1 if drifting line is "the fastest" line around track? Or any other road course racing series for that matter?

just my $0.02
Originally posted by zstryder
While drifting may be faster in some corners, it also kills your tires faster. The minimal amount of time you save drifting isn't worth a pit stop every 2-3 laps.

In organized racing like F1 where they're racing all day long, it's a race of endurance - pit stopping every 3 laps would not be ideal for their final track times.
Yes, its really only better for short races like one-way down the mountain.
Old Jul 20, 2003, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Actually I am trying to organize some drift events in the Central Florida region, if I can get feedback from HCI, NASA, or Hyperfest (organized by NASA). Its definitely a skill requiring practice and ability, totally different from the autocrossing I do normally.

Before you kvetch, I autocross the Evo, am building a '90 Mustang GT as a domestic drifter, and am also working with a friend/performance shop owner to partner on an open track American Iron series race car with NASA. I don't care if drifting isn't the fastest way around a track, it is another way I can spend time enjoying a performance car. I will take that whatever way I can get it.
Old Jul 23, 2003, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by evo8ove

just my $0.02
That's because F1 cars are MADE to be used for grip driving. Why do you think they have very large slicks and extreme low center of gravity? They are constructed for grip driving, not drift, so it would be illogical to use it for drifting.

And in case you and anybody else didn't know, the producers of Initial D got their ideas, concepts, and technical details from actual professional drivers, grip and drifting. So Initial D, although a cartoon, is not totally fictional. You just have to realize the basic principles and concepts said throughout the series. What, you think a couple of anime producers can think up of such technical plots shown in Initial D just by using their imagination?
Old Jul 23, 2003, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by N/A
In order to have been around since drifting started would mean the person is at least in their mid to late 30s since drifting started in the 80s in Japan. It did start out as a way to shave off speed and point the car in the direction you wanted to be going when you exit a corner. However thats only still done by guys who do mountain drifting and not the people you see drifting around long open sweeping corners. Its very hard on tires as well as cars but when done in actual racing it is a beutiful thing. After spending more then 5yrs in Japan watching drifting gets really old just like watching drag racing does. I'd watch guys race mountains roads any chance I got though.
that mountain drifter is my dad lol. he used to do that **** and rally with his 1970's RWD celica so it even goes back farther to the 1970's

and i think drift competitions are derived from off road rallies where drifting is necessary to have the best time in special stage.

on pavement, drifting is pretty pointless for best times but does look cool and sets u up better at times. IMHO i think drifting on pavement is for looks, hence the drift competitions in japan and recently in usa. if any of u drift haters have seen TEAM DRIFT COMPETITIONS u'll see how difficult it is to have 4-6 cars drifting a tight track in a tight pack. If it's done right, the team looks f'in awesome and yea it's all about looks there.

so what's the point of drifting? for looking good on the pavement and for getting faster times on the dirt. people can say otherwise but that's probably the most straight forward answer..

EDIT: drifting isnt as hard on the car as an autox..since u're not gripping, the car itself isnt getting all that pressure put on it. Tires get ripped as hell but the rear tires are supposed to be very slippery and the front very grippy. used tires are cheap as hell and you're basically only buying 2 tires at a time. the only thing that might be more stressful to the car than an autox might be the engine since u are at a high rev for a longer time than in an autox usually.

now when it IS hard on the car is if u flip the car over but that rarely happens

Last edited by bobaab; Jul 23, 2003 at 05:31 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2003, 06:55 PM

evocorp -
when you say that the real origin of drifting is to take the shortest line and to have a faster lap time you are extreamly wrong. it sounds like you are a fan of drifting yet you dont seem to understand why people do it. i truly dont think you understand what your talking about. how can you preach as to what the real origin of the dori if you have probably never been to japan and drifted on its beautifull racetracks

for all you that are saying that drifting is pointless and it is just like an x games exibition, why do you care what it is if you will never know how to pull off a real drift and you will never need to. i dont even understand why some of you would post on this topic you obviously know nothing about drifting. so all have to say is dont say ANYTHING until you have tried it

for those of you that stated that drifting is only faster on some turns (low speed sharp bends) on pavement, i agree with you guys 100%. Drifting is about fun and style and trying to be different than all the trends even if your trend is so huge that everyone wants a JDM silvia

btw i hate that word jdm just be case of idiots who like to use it out of context it just sounds ignorant

For the idiots on VW forum thinking there bad ***.If this post was started at club4ag, we would just be laughing at all you ignorant *******s and then there are the other *******s that whould flame you instead of educating you on the subject

Last edited by hachirokudriver; Jul 23, 2003 at 08:58 PM.