Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

People Dissing the Art of Drifting

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2003, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd love to do a nice drift around corners....gotta look pretty darn cool...
juz for show tho..
but NEVER in my car...
Old Jul 23, 2003, 08:34 PM

check out samuraifiles.com for some education they got a couple of drifting videos in the downloads section and even some RSX videos for you lancer es and oz owners

Last edited by hachirokudriver; Jul 23, 2003 at 08:39 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by hachirokudriver
evocorp -
when you say that the real origin of drifting is to take the shortest line and to have a faster lap time you are extreamly wrong. it sounds like you are a fan of drifting yet you dont seem to understand why people do it. i truly dont think you understand what your talking about. how can you preach as to what the real origin of the dori if you have probably never been to japan and drifted on its beautifull racetracks

for all you that are saying that drifting is pointless and it is just like an x games exibition, why do you care what it is if you will never know how to pull off a real drift and you will never need to. i dont even understand why some of you would post on this topic you obviously know nothing about drifting. so all have to say is dont say ANYTHING until you have tried it.
I dont kno' what I am talking about? Did you even read my post in the VW forum? I went down from logical explanation to the actual physics behind drifting. How is it that I don't know what I'm talking about?

And who said I never actually tried drifting? I don't remember me saying "I THINK I know how to drift, but I never tried it." In case you wanna know, I've been practicing on drift techniques for 3 years now, so I think I know just a little about drifting, ok? And don't think "Oh, just 3 years, that's nothing." You learn ALOT in 3 years if you have the committment.

And who says you have to drift on Japan's "beautiful" tracks to know what drifting is? What kinda crock is that? Do Japan's tracks give you magical drifting powers if you drift on their tracks and ONLY their tracks or something?

If all you see about drifting are exhibitions and show-offs, then YOU don't know jack about drifting. Drifting is all about PHYSICS, the fundamentals of applied friction and circular motion, not showing off. Come back when you know what I am talking about.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 06:19 AM

Originally posted by EvoCorp

I dont kno' what I am talking about? Did you even read my post in the VW forum? I went down from logical explanation to the actual physics behind drifting. How is it that I don't know what I'm talking about?

And who said I never actually tried drifting? I don't remember me saying "I THINK I know how to drift, but I never tried it." In case you wanna know, I've been practicing on drift techniques for 3 years now, so I think I know just a little about drifting, ok? And don't think "Oh, just 3 years, that's nothing." You learn ALOT in 3 years if you have the committment.

And who says you have to drift on Japan's "beautiful" tracks to know what drifting is? What kinda crock is that? Do Japan's tracks give you magical drifting powers if you drift on their tracks and ONLY their tracks or something?

If all you see about drifting are exhibitions and show-offs, then YOU don't know jack about drifting. Drifting is all about PHYSICS, the fundamentals of applied friction and circular motion, not showing off. Come back when you know what I am talking about.
I got your back on drifting man
Another explanation about drifting...
Check out my post... --->Click Me- im 180+240=ae86
Old Aug 27, 2003, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

There is no way drifting is the fastest way around a track. If it were, f1 cars would be set-up to drift around corners, regardless of tire wear. I'm sure if they had to, bridgestone and mich. could formulate a tire that could be designed for drifting in f1, but they dont have to because there is NO WAY it is faster.
EvoCorp:
Your 'ideal line' explanantion is totally faulty. The 'drift' line you have laid out would be faster in a world with no physics, but that is the one we live in. Yes your drifters could possibly faster through the corner itself, but they would get burned in respect to corner entry speed and exit speed. In the apex of the corner where your cartoon driver still has opposite lock, the 'grip' driver is already fully on it powering out of the corner.
Drifting looks cool but it is not the fast way to go about things.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 04:56 PM

Drifting is a Japanese artform of sport driving mastered by those able to precisely and gracefully control the machine with technical driving skills combined with great braking, suspension, and tire handling capability.
So you could go through a corner faster drifting but yes Grip driving is the faster method. Drifting just shows the control that you have over your car. And it looks cool too!
Old Aug 28, 2003, 05:50 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I don't get this drifting craze AT ALL. To me, its really ricey. On an AWD car like the Evo, its not really easy to induce a drift on a stock car, because it has amazing grip everywhere.

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes by calling it ricey, becasue that's only my opinion. If you're ever racing against the clock at an autoX or roadrace, you're gonna lose bigtime and look stupid if you drift around the corners. The whole Initial D thing is entertaining to watch, but set out a real life roadcourse and watch the best drifters get absolutely creamated by people who drive correctly and manage their grip.

As far as it being an artform, screw that on an AWD car! My tires and my Xfer case and diffs are expensive parts to replace. I have a lot of other ways to affordably participate in what I'd consider "real art".

Last edited by Noize; Aug 28, 2003 at 05:53 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by Noize
I don't get this drifting craze AT ALL. To me, its really ricey. On an AWD car like the Evo, its not really easy to induce a drift on a stock car, because it has amazing grip everywhere.

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes by calling it ricey, becasue that's only my opinion. If you're ever racing against the clock at an autoX or roadrace, you're gonna lose bigtime and look stupid if you drift around the corners. The whole Initial D thing is entertaining to watch, but set out a real life roadcourse and watch the best drifters get absolutely creamated by people who drive correctly and manage their grip.

As far as it being an artform, screw that on an AWD car! My tires and my Xfer case and diffs are expensive parts to replace. I have a lot of other ways to affordably participate in what I'd consider "real art".
Ok, people who purposely "induce" a drift are somewhat amateurs in the drifting circuit, although it takes alot of skill to drift in the first place. A real pro doesn't "induce" a drift.

The fastest way to approach a corner is, in most minds, limited to approaching an apex at the most direct line while maintaining high speed. This is your basic outside-inside-outside approach for an apex. However, WHAT IF you follow that line of approach for a corner, can go beyond the maximum static friction of the tires, meaning, LET the tires slide, continue to maintain entering speed, and STILL recover to exit a corner at optimal throttle.

That is the idea of a drift done by a pro. They would enter a corner using the outside-inside-outside line of approach, but enter it FAST ENOUGH so that the traction of the tires would be lost. The motion by this kind of drift is also known as a 4-wheel drift, where the car induces an "understeering" motion, exiting with minimal countersteering. It gets REALLY, REALLY techical, and I can explain it to you if you want, but it will be a long entry.

Footnote, people who pulls e-brakes everytime they enter a corner to "drift" ARE ricey.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by EvoCorp

Ok, people who purposely "induce" a drift are somewhat amateurs in the drifting circuit, although it takes alot of skill to drift in the first place. A real pro doesn't "induce" a drift.

<snip>

The motion by this kind of drift is also known as a 4-wheel drift, where the car induces an "understeering" motion, exiting with minimal countersteering.

in·duce ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-ds, -dys)
tr.v. in·duced, in·duc·ing, in·duc·es
1) cause to do; cause to act in a specified manner
2) ...
Old Aug 29, 2003, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by: Noize
The whole Initial D thing is entertaining to watch, but set out a real life roadcourse and watch the best drifters get absolutely creamated by people who drive correctly and manage their grip.

I don't know about that. Most of the Top drifters are also GT drivers in the JGTC.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 02:05 PM

I like how the guy on the other fourm said "the drivers may drift to try to shave another 100th of a second off their lap time".....lol you can tell he has never raced before! Drifting makes your times way slower!

But I have to give the D1 Grand Prix drivers credit! I have watched some of these guys drift and they are absolutly amazing with their car control! To take a 90 degree turn at 120 mph sideways takes some serious skill! And for the guys that are making fun of drifting...what do you think the rally drivers are doing? Drifting on dirt/snow/gravel/etc. Drifting is an art form! Dont dis it until you try it! I am hard core about any form of motorsports. Its all in good fun to me!

Tom
Old Aug 29, 2003, 06:20 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally posted by 3K
Originally posted by: Noize

I don't know about that. Most of the Top drifters are also GT drivers in the JGTC.
I didn't say they can't drive.. But you'll see they don't drift AT ALL when running JGTC... Hmmmm... Tell you something?

Drifting is NOT the fastest way around a track, no matter how good you are at it, period.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Noize

I didn't say they can't drive.. But you'll see they don't drift AT ALL when running JGTC... Hmmmm... Tell you something?

Drifting is NOT the fastest way around a track, no matter how good you are at it, period.
the JGTC drivers that are in the D1 drive completely seperate cars in the series. jgtc cars are designed like Nascar cars and f1 almost. the underbody spoilers and such cause the vacuum underneath the car to be so great, it makes the car stick the the tarmac. you can't drift something that is designed to grip.

drift cars are more or less stripped street cars. no one on their right mind would run a toyota soarer (sc300 in the us) in the jgtc, because of weight and the way its distributed. but it makes the car a decent drifting platform.

i guess look at it this way

JGTC - Supras, NSX's, Skyline GTR's and such

D1 - S13's, s14's, trueno's, levins, and soarer.

two completely seperate car classes.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 09:15 PM

I like how everyone is REALLY TRYING to pin drifting onto something like a sport or competition. It is just a style of driving that has achieved cult status in Japan, sometimes they have comps to see what everyone can do or just to entertain those that are interested. There are those who are good at controlling a car on a racetrack AND pushing it's limits on a mountain road or at some exhibition, and then there are some that just like drifting thier car or just racing. It's becoming a craze just like how JDM got all stupid. Eventually everyone is gonna forget and say hey that was stupid, but whoever really liked it will do it till the end. Just like JDM and DTM/Euro and NASCAR and mudding and rally racing and drag racing and demolition derby and go carting and F1 and freestyle motoX and skating and wakeboarding and........get it? I am getting sick of the whole ****ting on other people's stuff attitude on the vortex and now it's creeping in here........if you like it COOL; if you don't get, thats ok; if you don't like it SHUT THE **** UP!!!
Old Aug 30, 2003, 01:40 PM
SOF
Evolving Member

Let's say you can shave 1 second off your lap time by drifting. Do you really want to spend another 20 seconds going into the pit to change tires? Drifting is for kids, just like this thread.