Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

boost leak test problem...need input

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2007, 10:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boost leak test problem...need input

so i decided to do a boost leak test today since ive been getting a little whistling sound when at full boost. i removed the maf sensor and filter and plugged the tester right to the inlet pipe of the turbo. i started to fill it with air and it wouldnt hold more than 5 pounds. i had a leak at my ebc which i fixed. but i had steady air leaking at the throttle body??

also another strange thing, with 5 pounds of pressure the oil cap shot some oil out, and when i removed the cap alot of pressure was released. i put everything back together and when i started it up i had crazy white smoke coming out of the muffler. i let it idle for a while and then took it for a spin. the smoke eventually stopped, and now the car is running good again. im thinking maybe some oil got into a cylinder or something and was burning out causing the white smoke?

im not too concerned with the smoke, being that its stopped. but the throttle body leak has got me worried, any input guys?? thanks.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 11:06 PM
Evolving Member

was it a internal leak or external leak coming from the throttle body?

I have had the same issues but at first it was leaking inside the TB so i got that tooken cared of. Then after i did that i had a external leak to where i was feeling air coming out of. I also got that fixed. I used a thicker gasket between my TB and Intake mani. But if you are having a problem with it leaking inside the TB then im assuming the valve or so in there isnt closeing all the way. So you might have to replace it. I bought a new one and got it ported to 65mm and that took cared of the problem leaking from inside the TB. Hope this helps
Old Dec 8, 2007, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've seen others post up about TB gasket leaks but don't know the details.

It does sound like oil was pushed into a combustion chamber. As far as the oil getting pressurized, I'd be surprised if that was normal, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will comment on it.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 11:15 PM
Former Sponsor

i was referring to an external TB leak. i could hear the air coming out into the engine bay. i was able to get a finger down there and stop the leak, until i removed my finger and it continued to **** out air.

As far as an internal leak, im not sure? if air passing the throttle body is considered a leak, than yes. but is the throttle plate suppose to be air tight. if thats the case, than air should have never been able to get into the motor, causing the oil cap to spit oil, and causing the oil to make it into a cylinder.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Maybe this? https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ody+boost+leak
Old Dec 9, 2007, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Your throttle body seals are blown. Happened to me, and its just a factory defect. ALOT of ppl have the seals blown & there is a ton of info on this here on the forums. I personally ordered the WORKS seals and it fixed my leak instantly.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

the white smoke was fine,a while ago i did a boost leak test at a shop,and it started to leak air from the valve cover,so we put a bolt in it,and did the pressure test wich was leaking from the lower intercoller pipe,but we forgot to take the bolt out of the valve cover we started the car and there was white smoke like crazy coming out the back,removed the bolt and took about to 10 minutes for all the smoke to stop,did you check you oil level?this did ruin my mass air sensor though...
Old Dec 9, 2007, 01:30 PM
Former Sponsor

how did it ruin your maf sensor? my maf sensor was off the car the entire time.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 03:54 PM

Your throttle body seals bad , but press true oil cap !! that is ?????
give a call Dave Buschur.
buschurracing.com
Old Dec 16, 2007, 05:20 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clogged PCV

Turbo outlet black pipe gasket.