Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car was possibly towed incorrectly

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2007, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car was possibly towed incorrectly

So I know how these things usually go, you get the car back, it smells bad and drives funny. Problem is mine doesn't drive. I've got the head off the car getting ready to pull the motor. Problem is it's hard to get it inspected with only half an engine, so the apartment complex had it towed for no inspection. So I go around talking to the staff, none of them had ever seen a car towed out on a flat bed, and when I talked to the security guard that was working he said they didn't have a flat bed. He could not, however, confirm whether or not they had used dollies. Ahmed at the storage facility told me the same thing, they brought it in with two wheels up, but couldn't confirm any dollies.

So the thing is, I can't take it to a shop to get the thing looked at because no shop wants to take in a car that isn't going to be running when it leaves. But if I pull my T.Case, I would assume that won't hold up in court. I've thought maybe if I could pull it and send it to Shep, they could pull it apart and take pictures, etc for the lawyers.

Has anyone had to do this before, or tried and got screwed cause you missed something? Any advice is appreciated.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Get the towing companies insurance to cover it.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

^ +1. They have to carry insurance just incase things like this happen, and they do alot. They towed my buddies bike once and didnt even stand it up. Just threw the thing on the flat bed and drove off. Messed the plastics and case all up obviously and the had to get the insurance to pay.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

I am trying to get their insurance info, but they won't pick up the phone or return my messages. Once I have enough evidence for a suit that should get me a phone call.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by icantdrive75
I am trying to get their insurance info, but they won't pick up the phone or return my messages. Once I have enough evidence for a suit that should get me a phone call.

That sucks. They need to pay for the damages. that's what insurance is for.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

taht sux
Old Dec 13, 2007, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Do they have security cams in your apartment complex? Or perhaps at a business near the towing facility?

Thia is a shot in the dark I know, but it wont hurt to look into it.

J
Old Dec 13, 2007, 05:55 PM

Do you have your car back? If yes, then how did you get it back to your apartment?
Old Dec 14, 2007, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Masanari
Do they have security cams in your apartment complex? Or perhaps at a business near the towing facility?

Thia is a shot in the dark I know, but it wont hurt to look into it.

J
I had the same thought. None in the complex but there are two gas stations at the end of the block. One didn't have any cameras, but the other had a camera pointed right at the intersection! Great right?? If not for the fact that they don't even turn the cameras on.

I haven't gone to check out the gas stations near the storage facility but I'll check that out as soon as I can.

Yes I have the car back, I had it towed on a flat bed.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

That sucks sorry to hear that. They are definately liable. You should get yourself one of these.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/6831/towingyc7.png
Old Dec 14, 2007, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Yea I've seen several of those while trying to research this. Hindsight is 20/20.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 12:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tried to read that and it gave me a headache...
Old Dec 15, 2007, 01:41 PM

if two of the wheels were spinning while it was being towed there was user error incolved
Old Dec 15, 2007, 01:53 PM

how deep can this go?
what about if you knew the papers were no good, then why not take actions incase they come for a tow?
I think all complexes are the same, they have a tow company that they pay to tow cars that are not registered or whatever, this is how they make money.
could it be your fault also for not taking proper precautions incase something like this ever happens?

now next step is to fight this for your favor and after all is finished try investing in stickers with AWD Tow warnings placed in places were the Tow driver would look or connect too.

good luck with the repair.
Old May 5, 2010, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Bump for a 2 year old thread. Can I pull apart my T-Case and look at the clutches and determine, "Yes indeed that is ****ed, sir." Or do I have to put it in my car and wait for it to make strange noises? Anyone have pics of bad clutches? I'm assuming some of the guys who try to drift their EVOs have similar issues.

Quick Reply: Car was possibly towed incorrectly