Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Official EVO Insurance Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2012, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Everyone wants to know if it was GEICO.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 05:35 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Were you at fault in the accident? Considering the cost of repairs on a Mitsubishi in general this may not come as a big surprise, but then again it really does depend on the area and the company you're insured with.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 07:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by polish_pounder
Hey guys. So last September i was in an accident with my evo. i have always had a clean record with this company and yes the evo totaled up a big number as we can all assume. Well just 2 days ago they dropped me i dont know why but now i am struggling to find insurance and right now my policy is 500 a month when before i was at 150.... Has anyone else had a problem like this before? this sucks and to be honest i cant get rid of my evo it would kill me inside...
How old are you?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Progressive seems to be the way to go. After shopping around with one of the worst records and just getting my license back they were cheaper than anything by far for me.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 04:22 AM
Evolved Member

yes it was my fault but there was no damage to others it was just me. i knew it would go up but i didnt think they would just drop me... and it wasnt Geico no hah i have read about some people not liking their insurance. but i am 21 so i know its going to be high yes i get that but still i should be able to get something for 200ish i believe
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

I nearly totaled my car doing 12.5K in damage in a singe-vehicle accident and my insurance only went from ~150 to ~250/mo. I was 23 at the time.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:45 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn, sounds like a lot of people are getting dropped or having major issues with their auto insurance companies. I would definitely expect your rates to go up after an accident but not that much...Keep calling around man!
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Mine only went yup a little but i dont have an evo
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
join the club. i just got dropped last month...well i didnt, but they refused to cover my evo, but as a driver they will still cover me and my other car. go figure.

ive now dropped geico and am starting a policy with travelers, as they only want 2400 a year versus the 1600 a year i was paying with geico (a reasonable increase for what seems to be proper insurance as well as taking into account an at fault accident and a ticket)

progressive/all state/state farm wanted $4500 plus a year from me.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

travelers is what i had i did 10k in damage.. i have a clean record n im almost 21 i could understand them raising my rates to 250-280.. dropping me is a little extreme especially since the body shop i used is F***ing me and they have a Travelers Agent stationed there so he overlooked the whole repair. i now need new struts that clearly was from the accident my headlight leaks because of it all stuff i cant prove but that were caused from the accident... i dont understand.. i really dont
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

I had insurance through Esurance at the time and I had nothing but positive experiences with them. I did, however, recently change to USAA well, because USAA>anyone else it seems.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by polish_pounder
travelers is what i had i did 10k in damage.. i have a clean record n im almost 21 i could understand them raising my rates to 250-280.. dropping me is a little extreme especially since the body shop i used is F***ing me and they have a Travelers Agent stationed there so he overlooked the whole repair. i now need new struts that clearly was from the accident my headlight leaks because of it all stuff i cant prove but that were caused from the accident... i dont understand.. i really dont

sigh, dont tell me that, im running out of options.

that leads me to believe that they are pulling the same crap that geico does as far as either having the car underwritten wrong (thinking its a base lancer) or what. geico dropped me for "unacceptable equipment" (spoiler, brakes, wheels etc) which is why i think thats whats going on with the evos.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got state farm and pay 75 a month for full coverage and 500 deductible, but I'm 25 and haven't had any tickets in awhile (the last one I had was on my bike 2 yrs ago and I deferred it) or accidents ever. That's sounds like an outrageous spike in rates for an accident though.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Bramage_Dained
I had insurance through Esurance at the time and I had nothing but positive experiences with them. I did, however, recently change to USAA well, because USAA>anyone else it seems.
No doubt, in my experience USAA is the best hands down....

Insurance has a lot to consider and liability is a huge factor. If you wrecked an Evo and your trying to re-insure another Evo (and your 21), it maybe extremely hard to find insurance...or at least for a decent rate. Many companies know what Evo's are, and not to mention they don't have a high success rate with many drivers... I'm sure its high on the list for insurance claims. Fortunately USAA sees my evo as a 4-door sedan

You need to understand that most likely you did not pay enough insurance over the duration of your vehicle that was more than your claim, so the next company is going to charge you a lot for coverage because they are in the business to make money, not loose it on you... that's just the reality of the situation. At least it isn't $1000/month, that's when a company won't turn you away but they really don't want to cover you (I've seen this before)

Last edited by GTijoejoe; Jan 10, 2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 06:03 PM

A year ago they broke into my garage and took my brothers rsx which was under the same policy so my premium went from 260/month to 435/m so i switched to 21century and now i only pay 185/month hope that helps

Quick Reply: Official EVO Insurance Thread