Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Official EVO Insurance Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2012, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine breaks down to $120/month on just the evo, total for all the cars on my policy is about $250 a month which includes 2011 evo, 2011 eclipse, 2006 ralliart and 95 eagle talon.

This is through allstate, $500 deductible, full coverage on everything except the DSM.

I'm 27 and my girlfriend is 24, we are on the same policy... they tell us we can save bundles by getting married :P
Old Oct 4, 2012, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ito6162
tellme718*

Every insurance company have their own target age range and level of coverage they like to cover. Since your still under 25, your insurance rate is still going to be lil high and plus you jus got a claim. If you have any accidents or tickets, your insurance rate it's going to increase no matter what. Also it depends where you live, year of the car, amount of deductibles you choose, etc. You have to shop around more....

I just got a Evo 9 and if I stay w progressive, they are charging me $1337 but then I found AAA and they gave me $815 for the same coverage...and that's not bad at all for two accidents I have.
AAA has auto insurance? I've got to call them. Man, being under 25 sucks!

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
And on top of that, New York's rates tend to be a little on the high side, compared to some other states. So comparing with someone from, say, Virginia won't be an apples-to-apples comparison.
I live in NYC, License in MA. So I get MASS rates.
Originally Posted by bKevO
Both rates below were/are while living in NYC:

1) Under Allstate back in 2008 in my 1st evo when I was 24, I was paying $375 a month with $1,000 deductible with horrible credit, no accident, 1 speeding ticket.

2) Under Geico now in 2012 at 28 in my 2nd evo, I pay $140 a month with $500 deductible including full glass.
Gieco is killing me with MA insurance. I just called progressive and the quoted me a first payment of 350 than 277 after that. That's much better. Progressive FTW! Switching tomorrow God willing. Keep you guys updated.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by tellme718
That's not how insurance is supposed to work. The state that issued your driver license doesn't dictate your rates -- your garaging address does. For example, if you had a Washington driver license but lived in Texas, you would get Texas rates, unless you maintained a Washington policy while living in Texas (which you're not supposed to do, as your insurance company can deny a claim you make in that scenario).
Old Oct 5, 2012, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by tellme718
AAA has auto insurance? I've got to call them. Man, being under 25 sucks!

Gieco is killing me with MA insurance. I just called progressive and the quoted me a first payment of 350 than 277 after that. That's much better. Progressive FTW! Switching tomorrow God willing. Keep you guys updated.

hahha you won't be saying under 25 sucks when u get older!

I like Progressive. When I totaled my Celica GTS, they took care of everything pretty fast and I got good amount of money back for that car too. I would stay w Progressive if they didn't raise my insurance rate to that high....

Agree w DeeezNuuuts83! If you live in NY, you should quote it w your NY address not your MA address!!!!

Last edited by ito6162; Oct 5, 2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man I feel sorry for you New Yorkers!!! mine is 126/mo and is bundled with my condo so I get a discount...idk what it would be seperate tho
Old Oct 6, 2012, 06:55 AM

mine just out of nowhere went up by about $5/month for the next registration period, nothing changed, nothing happened, contacted insurance they said "number of claims increased in your area"
Old Oct 6, 2012, 07:56 AM

I pay 110 a month for full coverage and am 21 in Oklahoma City. Gotta love Oklahoma where everything is cheaper!
Old Oct 6, 2012, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by posterise
mine just out of nowhere went up by about $5/month for the next registration period, nothing changed, nothing happened, contacted insurance they said "number of claims increased in your area"
That's how insurance works. If a certain car seems to have drivers who get into accidents or accumulate a bunch of tickets, then the rates will go up for that car. If a certain area has an increased frequency of claims, then the rates will go up for that area.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 06:06 PM

That's how insurance works. If a certain car seems to have drivers who get into accidents or accumulate a bunch of tickets, then the rates will go up for that car. If a certain area has an increased frequency of claims, then the rates will go up for that area.
i hope if the number of claims goes down some day, in the same way my insurance will go down too.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 09:44 PM

You're correct, I'm an insurance agent and this is something I have to explain on a daily bases. Companies have a risk management teams that work with underwriters to determine what rates should be charged in relation to the risk they are taking for insuring you, your vehicle in your area. So many factors are taken into consideration when calculating the rates but major things to look at is your driving record, the vehicle you drive and where you live. I've seen some of our policy holders premium increase/decrease just moving a block away. Theft, Vandalism, Claims, Crime in that specific area are crucial when calculating the risk. The way you have to see is, if something happens within the first few months you have your Evo and lets say you're paying 300 a month, the company is risking to pay for the value of the vehicle regardless if you just paid 3 months of premium. For those financing a vehicle I always recommend getting GAP coverage, which will ensure your loan gets paid off, even if the value of the vehicle has depreciated since when you bought it.

Anyways... I quoted my self for an Evo X and it would cost me around 350 a month

Always get a quote for insurance before you buy a car, to save your self the surprises.

gotta pay to play...
Old Oct 7, 2012, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by posterise
i hope if the number of claims goes down some day, in the same way my insurance will go down too.
Rates do decrease from time to time, but again it's less likely, and that means that there would've had to have been pretty big profit margins across the board. They will do that to remain competitive (rather than just keeping rates the same), but it's just not always the case.

Originally Posted by Quilem
You're correct, I'm an insurance agent and this is something I have to explain on a daily bases. Companies have a risk management teams that work with underwriters to determine what rates should be charged in relation to the risk they are taking for insuring you, your vehicle in your area. So many factors are taken into consideration when calculating the rates but major things to look at is your driving record, the vehicle you drive and where you live. I've seen some of our policy holders premium increase/decrease just moving a block away. Theft, Vandalism, Claims, Crime in that specific area are crucial when calculating the risk. The way you have to see is, if something happens within the first few months you have your Evo and lets say you're paying 300 a month, the company is risking to pay for the value of the vehicle regardless if you just paid 3 months of premium. For those financing a vehicle I always recommend getting GAP coverage, which will ensure your loan gets paid off, even if the value of the vehicle has depreciated since when you bought it.
Yeah, it sucks. I have clients who call me back and complain about their rate going up by $20 over the course of six months, which is a ~$3 difference monthly. But what they don't realize is that rates are just like that in certain areas. For example, I'm also licensed in Florida, and there is so much fraud in certain areas (particularly Broward, Collier, Hillsborough, Lee, Orange, Pinellas counties) to the point where rates have increased significantly over last year.

Additionally some companies have introduced new programs that may have ended up making them lose money. For example, one carrier that I use for clients who have bad driving records is trying to make their policy more of a preferred policy, meaning that it has full permissive user coverage and the comprehensive/collision coverage carriers over to rented vehicles. It makes it more attractive, but I'm sure that a lot of people ended up using the coverages but in a frequency higher than what they had anticipated. Also, another carrier who is one of the few to offer OEM coverage said that they have received a ton of claims for that in the past six months (far more than they have over the past two years since it was first introduced), and it may result in a price increase overall.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:03 AM

Rates do decrease from time to time, but again it's less likely, and that means that there would've had to have been pretty big profit margins across the board. They will do that to remain competitive (rather than just keeping rates the same), but it's just not always the case.

Yeah, it sucks. I have clients who call me back and complain about their rate going up by $20 over the course of six months, which is a ~$3 difference monthly. But what they don't realize is that rates are just like that in certain areas. For example, I'm also licensed in Florida, and there is so much fraud in certain areas (particularly Broward, Collier, Hillsborough, Lee, Orange, Pinellas counties) to the point where rates have increased significantly over last year.

Additionally some companies have introduced new programs that may have ended up making them lose money. For example, one carrier that I use for clients who have bad driving records is trying to make their policy more of a preferred policy, meaning that it has full permissive user coverage and the comprehensive/collision coverage carriers over to rented vehicles. It makes it more attractive, but I'm sure that a lot of people ended up using the coverages but in a frequency higher than what they had anticipated. Also, another carrier who is one of the few to offer OEM coverage said that they have received a ton of claims for that in the past six months (far more than they have over the past two years since it was first introduced), and it may result in a price increase overall.
Totally know where you're coming from man. I get some of the older policy holders calling in because their premium remained the same, since everyone has this theory that the longer you have a carrier the cheaper it will be which is not the case. You may be eligible for additional discounts but thats about it. The chances of your premium decreasing are pretty slim (unless Points, Violations, Claims are dropped). As inflation affects repair shops it also affects insurance companies, labor and gas prices aren't getting any cheaper. The tough conversations to have is when drivers start hitting the 55 range and premium begins to increase just because of the risk.

As for Florida, I'm also licensed for Florida, we are totally trying to pull out business from there. Already started non-renewing Property policies.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:08 AM

I found that switching to Geico from Esurance I saved nearly 600$ a year. I guess the commercials were right!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:38 AM

how are you guys paying cheap on insurances? is your plolicy a 6 months 9 months or 12 months policy? because im paying $278 for a full coverage with a 9 months payment for 12 months
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:18 AM

I paid $815 for 6 months policy

Quick Reply: Official EVO Insurance Thread