Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Side skirt damage?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2007, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Side skirt damage?

Today, after getting a new set of Proxes 4, I walk out and discover one of my side skirts is hanging out further than it should. I open the passenger door and notice the plugs have popped out...so I go to push it back into place and wham, one cracks right off.

What the hell could have caused this, and is it a common thing?

I hate to talk smack...but seriously, my Evo is feeling more and more like a POS. What the hell kind of car falls apart without being abused these days? I mean besides a Kia lol
Old Dec 15, 2007, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never heard of your problem...but I'm sorry to say in terms of build quality, the Evo is a bit of a POS. It's a $15k car with $20k of incredible chassis/suspension development, excellent brakes, a highly sophisticated AWD system, and an amazing powertrain capable of putting out very impressive performance. Build quality is not its strong suit.

That said, I haven't had any problems with mine, other than rattles which aren't very noticeable any more Furthermore, your problem isn't the sort that just "happens." My guess is the shop lifted it improperly and stressed the side skirt.

Last edited by 72Tornado; Dec 16, 2007 at 07:48 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Likely what happened was the shop that put the tires on didnt lift the feet on the Lift arms. Then when they lifted the car in the air the arms were pressing on your side skirts.

They need to either use blocks or turn the feet up a bit
Old Dec 16, 2007, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 72Tornado
I've never heard of your problem...but I'm sorry to say in terms of build quality, the Evo is a bit of a POS. It's a $15k car with $20k of incredible chassis/suspension development, excellent breaks, a highly sophisticated AWD system, and an amazing powertrain capable of putting out very impressive performance. Build quality is not its strong suit.

That said, I haven't had any problems with mine, other than rattles which aren't very noticeable any more
a evo is basically a "suped up looking lancer"
Old Dec 16, 2007, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Malik_EvoIX
how insulting LOL

who did your tires? maybe someone wasn't very careful enough remounting the wheel, oh and on another note if they put your car on a lift make sure they didn't lift it on one of the skirts

Last edited by hksevoix; Dec 16, 2007 at 06:18 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

not even quite!
Old Dec 16, 2007, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by hksevoix
how insulting LOL

who did your tires? maybe someone wasn't very careful enough remounting the wheel, oh and on another note if they put your car on a lift make sure they didn't lift it on one of the skirts
Also, it's worth mentioning I noticed one of the wheel locks had not been tightened! As soon as I got home I could unscrew it with my bare hand!

And for the record it was Town Fair Tire in Stratford, CT. There's no visible damage, but I was surprised the prong that holds the skirt in place would simply crack like that...possibly because of the cold?

Does anyone think the dealership could/would fix that?

Last edited by rane; Dec 16, 2007 at 07:47 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ha, I wouldn't go that far at all. Build quality is the only real negative it shares with the Lancer.