Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Why No Mitsubishi EVO car commercial ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2007, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got off the phone with Poway CA. Mitsu. The question is why they don't advertise the EVO.

The Sales Rep say because the Car enthusiasm consumers already know about them via the Web.
Also new EVO X coming out in 1st or 2nd week of January 2008. Also only 1200 cars for sale for USA. Credit to Sleeper3, he had suggest this.

Also a small group of consumer are interested in these types of cars. But i'm still bother by the lack of advertisments. Sales Rep say they are only making 1200 to sell here, and that is all.

Last edited by TRUE-GRIT; Dec 19, 2007 at 11:35 AM. Reason: update
Old Dec 19, 2007, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

no way.....there's no way the evo X will be more exclusive than the gtr.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

evo X
Old Dec 19, 2007, 11:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by TRUE-GRIT
My son asked me why is there no EVO car commercials. I had the same question.
Wouldn't they sell more EVO's if they do advertise? So what IS the reason why there is no TV commercials?
Because you don't advertise a niche vehicle to a mass audience using television. That's what auto magazines are for. There's also word of mouth and product placement, like the F&F movies. BTW, I make my living as a copywriter for an ad agency
Old Dec 19, 2007, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Atlvalet, you got a point there. Some advertise in T.V. Commercial (Very $ ), another is magazine, etc...
Old Dec 19, 2007, 08:42 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MR Turco
its not a hugely competitive market. Just like you see minimal advertising for Porsche's and Lamborghini's. It is not a practical car not to mention there isnt huge demand for it. It also doesnt help that it is the only car Mitsu doesnt have a problem selling out of.
I'm almost willing to bet there is going to be an ad for the evo x.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 09:43 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I worked at Mitsu's ad agency (called Deutsch LA) when the Evo VIII launched. It was a wild time to be involved with launching that car!!! We did one TV commercial because it was an oppotunity to show the general public the Evo for the first time. This spot only ran a handful of times over a couple weeks. But, it was still a very cool TV spot and it's the only spot to run in the US.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIXXqKhHO3M

After that spot to "introduce" the car, there wasn't a need to advertise the Evo because there were enough enthusiasts who knew about the car and it basically sold itself. Plus, at such low quantities (only about 4,000 a year) there wasn't a need to advertise.

For the Evo X, they will definitely need to do more advertising than they have in the past. Since they're targeting a new consumer who basically doesn't know the Evo exists, Mitsu has their work cut out for them...
Old Dec 19, 2007, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tvbf1
Because some people would probably whine and complain that it provokes street racing like those in Canada.
the us commercial also promoted street racing. it had the same street racing and rally clips. mitsubishi they released a 25 year commercial that featured evos and eclipses as well as a glimpse of the X when it was still a concept.

edit: thats the evo commercial i saw! thanks adambl03 for posting.

Last edited by EvoBroMA; Dec 19, 2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 10:29 PM

The car sells itself, you dont see lambo or ferrari or bently ads either
Old Dec 19, 2007, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

Well I have 3 (1 off topic) things to add to this:

1) adambl03 - Go Browns (Cleveland native here living near coughCinciCough) I saw the icon...hope you are Browns fan too!

2) I know countless people who have no idea about anything regarding EVOs. To these folks, an EVO is just a rice-rocket with a huge wing. Each time I introduce these "newbs" to a ride in the EVO or the sounds of the EVO, they turn into believers. It doesn't sound, nor perform like a rice-rocket. I honestly don't think the general public realize what EVOs can do, even if the car wasn't designed for the general public. With Porsche, Lambo, etc, they have a reputation, so do they need the advertisement? Mitsu doesn't have the same reputation so this leads me to point #3, compare Mitsu to a competing company.

3) I have seen WRX commercials on TV. To me WRXs have more popularity with the general public. I may be wrong but for some reason the general public loves the Subarus. In my opinion you can get way more out of an EVO in many different aspects. To each his own but if Subaru makes WRX TV commercials, why doesn't Mitsu make EVO commercials?

Excuses and reasons aside, they need to work on advertising in my opinion. If I didn't own a DSM, I would be on the "other side" most likely. On the otherhand, I like being unique so I prefer not everyone on the block to own an EVO.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 10:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G63 4EVR
3) I have seen WRX commercials on TV. To me WRXs have more popularity with the general public. I may be wrong but for some reason the general public loves the Subarus. In my opinion you can get way more out of an EVO in many different aspects. To each his own but if Subaru makes WRX TV commercials, why doesn't Mitsu make EVO commercials?
All you need to do is look at the sales volume for the WRX and that will tell you why they're utilizing TV. I have only seen print ads for the STi, IIRC.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4G63 4EVR

Excuses and reasons aside, they need to work on advertising in my opinion. If I didn't own a DSM, I would be on the "other side" most likely. On the otherhand, I like being unique so I prefer not everyone on the block to own an EVO.
I totally agree with 4g63 4EVR, I mean I wouldnt mind seeing a commerical and I definitely would enjoy it but to put things in perspective I want to be unique just like everyone else. The pre-evo owners out there already know a crap load before they even sat in one. Thats what the vibe I got through all of the dealerships in the tri-state area before I picked one up. Simply put, with 31+ G's you couldve easily bought a mid-upper level luxury car but we went for the performance and may I add unique-ness. I think evo's are perfectly priced. Its affordable enough for the true enthusiast but out of reach for someone who's looking for a quick thrill. for 31g's you really gotta ask that question, is it worth it?

Also, not to deviate to much but remember when acura rolled out with their newer more jdm look of the rsx-type s a couple years ago and the commercial that came with it? With all the aggressive cornering, and acceleration on a highway that looks like it belongs in irobot ? Now you got a handful of those on every block. ALso, what about when scion pushed their tc's like hot cakes?? with the faded acceleration "factory tune" and body kits. Now you have those kids flying around like they own the world. Not to bash on tc's and rsx but I just dont want to be "waving at evo's all day" all in all, advertising the evo is good but in a limited quantity like they do now. We are a rare breed for a reason. hahahz

Last edited by benniboi08; Dec 19, 2007 at 11:24 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 04:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
did you see mercedes S series commercial? Or Ferrari? BMW Z8? Or Lotus Exige? If they have a demand for the car they don't need to advertise it..
Old Dec 20, 2007, 04:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
did you see mercedes S series commercial? Or Ferrari? BMW Z8? Or Lotus Exige? If they have a demand for the car they don't need to advertise it..
Actually i have seen commercials for the s-class, the 7 series, and of course the ls460.. There are even some Aston Martin and Lamborghini commercials that play rarely around me..
Old Dec 20, 2007, 04:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TRUE-GRIT
My son asked me why is there no EVO car commercials. I had the same question.
Wouldn't they sell more EVO's if they do advertise? So what IS the reason why there is no TV commercials?

Because the Evo doesn't need one. The car sells-out without one so why spend the advertisement money on it?

Quick Reply: Why No Mitsubishi EVO car commercial ?