Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Windshield Question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2007, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting a quote is not a gauranteed price. It's an estimate.

As long as you give them the vin, it is correct.

If the OP or anyone else gives the wrong vin number, the car is not covered, period. I would also say good luck getting that windshield replaced.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They had my VIN and quoted me hundreds below what they should have for an Evo. An insurance quote should be fairly accurate if they have accurate information ... In my case, the companies had the correct information and chose to give the lower quote for competitive reasons (it seems). If I wouldn't have double checked this and brought it to their attention, I could have been in a really bad situation if I had an accident and would likely be under suspicion of fraud.

As far as gap insurance ... owing more than 2x what you've told the insurance company the car is worth would likely trigger an investigation. Anyone who would chance that isn't very bright ...

Here is a question related to the original topic ...

If your insurance company does pay to have the windshield replaced, do 3rd party manufacturers actually make an Evo specific windshield or would they simply use a standard Lancer fitment anyway? Or, would the lein holder require OE part replacement?
Old Dec 26, 2007, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Ok to answer everyones questions...
Yes my car is insured under its correct vin number, i called up they gave me a quote and it was damn cheap so i went with it. I am a do-it-yourselfer and got my car for 18k more than 2 years ago and restored it from a completely broken state. My car is mostly paid and i have gap insurance. is it insurance fraud if you give them the right VIN, the right details and they still dont set it up right.... that sounds like its on them to me... so no i am "not intentionally trying to raise everyones rates" lmao the ones who raise the rates are the ones making claims. this is the first time i have every made a claim on any car. in the state of FL they legally have to repace windshields. My new windshield goes in tomorrow, and its a ppg the insurance company wouldent cover an OEM even for a lancer.... my insurance company seriously dosent even know what an evo is i gave them every detail they asked for so i dont see how i did wrong. Yes i may be cheating myself here but im not raising anyones rates
Old Dec 27, 2007, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The EVO uses a different mirror mount than the Lancer. Also the dot pattern is slightly different. When I lost the glass on my 03 I had lancer glass installed. The guy had a hell of a time switching my mirror mounts from the old glass to the new glass but in the end he did it.

The only place you will find EVO glass is Mitsu. It will be around $500. My lancer glass was $200. I did have one problem afterwards. At speeds greater than 100mph the seal that goes along the top of the windshield would come loose and flap on the roof. Some 3M window weld urathane fixed that problem.

If insurance was going to cover it I would have them put OEM EVO glass back in the car. If its coming out of your pocket you may want the Lancer glass even though its not the same.

Last edited by EVIL_EV0; Dec 27, 2007 at 01:25 PM. Reason: FYI MY EVIL POST COUNT IS 666
Old Dec 27, 2007, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Xsubyowner
I have been a glass installer for more than 4 years, there is not thickness issue..they are all the same...the glass that goes in one lancer will go into another...the real choice here is OEM or not...in other words do you want Mitsu glass..??
If this guy does your install don't tip... and make sure you check everything over... He clearly doesn't even know his own car.

Lancer glass weight > Evo glass weight... reason: thinner windshield... Its why they crack and chip so easy... Trust me, when I got mine replaced I had the guys weigh mine compared to the aftermarket Lancer one. Its also why the Evo glass is so expensive and the Lancer glass is cheap. Its why I stressed so hard for them to get me the OEM Evo windshield but at the time they were backordered for more than 6 months. Now why would a windshield that's the same as every other windshield be backordered?!?!?!

Also: I had no problems with mine other than that the windshield wipers were a bit noiser. (No mounting problems, or the flap on top of the car)

Last edited by UT_Evo; Dec 27, 2007 at 01:42 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Some reports the lancer glass slopes differently , u may have a diff feel of the space infront

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
If this guy does your install don't tip... and make sure you check everything over... He clearly doesn't even know his own car.

Lancer glass weight > Evo glass weight... reason: thinner windshield... Its why they crack and chip so easy... Trust me, when I got mine replaced I had the guys weigh mine compared to the aftermarket Lancer one. Its also why the Evo glass is so expensive and the Lancer glass is cheap. Its why I stressed so hard for them to get me the OEM Evo windshield but at the time they were backordered for more than 6 months. Now why would a windshield that's the same as every other windshield be backordered?!?!?!

Also: I had no problems with mine other than that the windshield wipers were a bit noiser. (No mounting problems, or the flap on top of the car)
Old Dec 27, 2007, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

the lancer glass will fit but it is not designed to withstand the pressure at an EVO's top speed therefore it could potentially cave in causing alot more problems!!!!!!!!!!!! evo's glass also has more curvature than the lancer.

OP, do urself (& us) a favor & call ur dam ins co unless u don't have glass coverage which in that case would be ur own fault...
Old Dec 27, 2007, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

also to clarify everyone about ins companies-

when the evo hit the us in 2003, ins companies had evos in their databases as LANCERS until JAN '05. from that point fwd, they now have the EVO listed separately.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 04:09 PM

I got mine replaced with an EVO windshield not a lancer one and it cost me $385 installed... It was through Speedy Auto Glass in Kirkland, WA
Old Dec 27, 2007, 05:18 PM

So now its clear that Lancer Front windshield would work on EVO.

I got a quick question would a Lancer Rear Windshield work on EVO? I just want to get rid of wiper hole on my EVO and i assume that RS glass would be like 400 or so. Thanks
Old Dec 27, 2007, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gtride
So now its clear that Lancer Front windshield would work on EVO.

I got a quick question would a Lancer Rear Windshield work on EVO? I just want to get rid of wiper hole on my EVO and i assume that RS glass would be like 400 or so. Thanks
iirc, evo rs still has a rear wiper. someone w/an RS will have to chime in on that. i know the rear EVO glass bcuz of that hole is in the $1800 range (same as Subaru) + again it has different curvature than the lancer for aero reasons. probly would fit but highly not recommended...
Old Dec 27, 2007, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

I had to have my windshield replaced (before I even hit 4000 miles!...grrr), and they used a lancer one.

IIRC they said something to the effect of how the evo windshield is only made by mitsu, there isn't another company that makes one with the same thickness as the mitsu evo windshield.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 01:25 AM

Theres a big crack in my windshield now and Ive been having a heck of a time trying to get State Farm to replace it with OEM glass. Ive finally decided on just letting them get aftermarket lancer glass since itll probably be less prone to rock chips anyway. The few pounds of weight savings is only a marginal loss for me.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If it ends up being more durable, I'd say the trade-off would be acceptable.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine has had a crack about 1 inch long for two years.....if it ever got bigger I told myself that I would replace it but it never did.......knock on wood it doesent get bigger now.....lol