Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Windshield Question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2007, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield Question

so i have a cracked windshield. I know this is a crazy stupid question but does neone know if lancer windshields will fit on an evo. they are obviously two very different machines but i was just wondering if there is a hint of a chance. I dont want to pay 500 for a new one but i will if i must...

Last edited by KillaItalian904; Dec 21, 2007 at 09:31 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The amount of questions involving insurance fraud on here is amazing.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 09:31 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
this has been asked before so you should search

if memory serves me correct it does fit but the thickness of hte glass is slightly different

but don't quote me on that
Old Dec 22, 2007, 06:01 PM
Former Sponsor

if you have ins they will fix it for free you will get a new one
Old Dec 23, 2007, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

You can use the Lancer windshield as a direct replacement for the Evo windshield. Save yourself some money and get a Lancer one. I had mine replaced for around $150.00. As far as insurance each company is different so I would call up your insurance company first to see if it is covered.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
this has been asked before so you should search

if memory serves me correct it does fit but the thickness of hte glass is slightly different

but don't quote me on that
You know what, I searched and found very little to nothing. So maybe YOU should search before posting.

On topic: I had a similar problem. Got a nice sized chip in the windshield, but repaired it instead of replacing it. I just hope it works. Didn't want mine to crack more.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

How big is your crack? I just realized as I typed that it doesn't sound right.

I had allstate in NYC and they would only do a repair if the crack was less than 6 inches. So I banged on it with my hand to enlarge it so I can get a full replacement.

They did use a standard lancer windshield which is slightly thicker and consequently heavier. Which I don't mind because I think the added sturdiness of the windshield is worth it. I track my car often and see alot of other evos with slightly cracked windshields. SO maybe the EVO issue windshield is inherently weaker.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 04:47 PM

I have been a glass installer for more than 4 years, there is not thickness issue..they are all the same...the glass that goes in one lancer will go into another...the real choice here is OEM or not...in other words do you want Mitsu glass..?? if not the next best choice is Pilkington...PPG glass has gone down hill recently ...and never accept SLG Safelite Glass ..It is the cheapest glass around...people with try to pass it off to make a buck...It is horrible..If I were you..which I will be soon...have 2 bad stone chips in my windshield...I am going to put a Pilkington in my car...which is as good if not better than the OEM...Its OEM for Mercedes Benz..LEXUS...ECT..top of the line....Make sure you a very repudible company to install it...not the cheapest..if you have a leak or they are not a senior tech to come out and install...you may find a very big problem...water in your car...windnoise..moldings falling off...your cowling not put to gether properly...and always get new wipers when you get new glass...as far a the 6 inches for a crack...good luck with that one...repairs are not cosmetic...the simply stop the crack..and if the crack is in your view...they will fail you for inspection...if you have it...insurance companies tell people that so the glass company can ruse you into getting a new shield when the repair fails...but as I said before...request either OEM if you have coverage...or PPG for door glasses..or Pilkington...you will not have a problem...and always have a Professional install your glass...not only does it carry a lifetime warranty...it is dangerous to install a windshield yourself...you would be too happy if it flew out at 80 mph...or god forbid your in an accident...and it comes out...it is a safety device...dont be dumb...sorry for rambling...but this should answer alot of others questions...oh and the difference between you paying for the entire thing and having full glass coverage (paying nothing) typically is about 80 dollars a year...well worth it....oh and the only car I have ever worked on that had a difference in weight or thickness would be AUDI..and ford..their tempered glass is thicker than others..the AUDI uses thinner glass with high modulus Urethane....expensive stuff..SIKA brand COOL...about 45 $ a tube...you need two....make sure they use SIKA products and good glass such as PILKINGTON or PPG...oh and PS...from expirience..try to put your car in an accessible spot..and TIP =)
Old Dec 23, 2007, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EJEvo
The amount of questions involving insurance fraud on here is amazing.
how does this have anything to do with insurance fraud ????????
Old Dec 24, 2007, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by veilside prius
how does this have anything to do with insurance fraud ????????
The OP indicated his insurance company believes his Evo is a Lancer, and he was afraid of being found out if they brought Evo-specific glass. That part was removed after I pointed out the fraud part.

Insurance fraud costs each of us in higher cost premiums, and I find it odd that people who are ultimately taking money out of the pockets of legitimately insured Evo owners come on here expecting us to help them rip us off.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

if you have full coverage you should be able to get an Evo windshield for free. You may want to call your insurance company and ask about their policy on windshield replacement. I'm pretty sure they will pay for it because its a safty item or something.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EJEvo
The OP indicated his insurance company believes his Evo is a Lancer, and he was afraid of being found out if they brought Evo-specific glass. That part was removed after I pointed out the fraud part.

Insurance fraud costs each of us in higher cost premiums, and I find it odd that people who are ultimately taking money out of the pockets of legitimately insured Evo owners come on here expecting us to help them rip us off.
that is so stupid. insurance co. will know the car isnt just a lancer as soon as they get the vin. they are a lil bit smarted thatn that buddy. and i recently had a lancer windsheild put in my car so it will fit...
Old Dec 24, 2007, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by idriveanevo
insurance co. will know the car isnt just a lancer as soon as they get the vin.
I thought of that, too. Not sure how he's pulled that off - perhaps given them a Lancer VIN. Of course, that'll come back to bite him in the @$$, too. Who knows - like I said, I'm amazed at what people admit to on here sometimes. But of course, that's why they post on here: they're afraid to talk to the insurance company and have their scam discovered.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by idriveanevo
that is so stupid. insurance co. will know the car isnt just a lancer as soon as they get the vin. they are a lil bit smarted thatn that buddy. and i recently had a lancer windsheild put in my car so it will fit...
They don't always know that ... I know it seems odd, but I recently checked around for insurance quotes as a package deal with my home owner's insurance. 3 insurance companies all made the same mistake and quoted me for a Lancer even though they had the VIN. I even made it very clear that I had the Evolution MR model and not the base model Lancer when telling them the info over the phone.

One company caught it and called me with a revised quote, the other 2 did not and I had to double check their quotes. One guy with Allstate said "Yeah, there were 2 different prices for insurance on a Lancer ... but one of them is a 4-wheel drive turbo or something and it's like 4 times as expensive."

After encountering this so many times and seeing the quotes so different from my current rate, I called my insurance company to verify that they had the right vehicle. They verified All-Wheel drive, 2.0l Turbocharged Evolution MR.

There is no way I'd want to have a totaled Evo and get handed like $10000 for a replacement Lancer ES.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

^^^^^^^^^^^
This is also why they have GAP insurance.