Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

TRAILER HITCH ON MY 2005 evo MR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2008, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRAILER HITCH ON MY 2005 evo MR

Hey guys, I was wondering how i could put a trailer hitch on my 2005 evolution mr. I see a lot of scubbies have them but never on a evo. I was wondering if it was possible. I dont need a heavy duty one because all i will caring on it is a bike rack holding 2 mountain bikes. I beleive the tongue weight on it won't exceed 100lbs. Any help would be very appreciated. All i found were bolt on kits made for the regular lancers but none for the evo, or should i go to uhaul and weld a sucker on. Thx a lot guys and girls
Old Jan 2, 2008, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow, I understand your practical concerns, but don't do it!
Old Jan 2, 2008, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

evo no tow evo go! lol i duno just thought i would post that cornball rhyme.
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Having one welded on would probably be the best idea. I've only seen 1 bolt on hitch for the evo, and IMO it didn't look like it was very secure. It bolted to the rear crash bar bolts.
Evolved Member

one of the shops had it on their evo... MIGHT have been the vishnu lap america car, i'm not 100% sure. It was way back though, maybe 2,3 years ago? the red evo. I'd take a look there first. I remmeber they posted something about it.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Get a yakima roof rack with q-towers and just run a roof rack...
Old Jan 2, 2008, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Don't run a roof rack on an Evo with the aluminum roof (MR, SE)...
Old Jan 2, 2008, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

ive seen alot of autcocross racers put hitches on their subies and one evo.... to car tires and small toolboxes
Old Jan 2, 2008, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

subbin.
dont want a roof rack, but need something to haul my mountain bikes.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Yes you can put a hitch on the EVO. the JDM 9 buper comes with a cut out so you can put the hitch on without cutting up your bumper. The 8 needs to be cut right behind the license plate.

There was a vendor on here selling the hitches too, like 100 bucks or something. There was also a guy that had a pic of his evo towing his trailer and his R1 sportbike, it has plenty of torque to do it so go ahead and do it.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

i read in my catalog that we are not suppose to use the evo for towing
Old Jan 2, 2008, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrMTB
Don't run a roof rack on an Evo with the aluminum roof (MR, SE)...
you can use the Yamika roof rack on the MR,SE b/c the towers will be place on the side and not on the aluminum roof.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by panem
you can use the Yamika roof rack on the MR,SE b/c the towers will be place on the side and not on the aluminum roof.

With Yamika Roof Rack. it will Not be on the aluminum Roof. so its safe to go with Yamika.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 01:53 PM

Good idea for a thread

This is something I've thought about in the past. Several years ago I saw a Taurus pulling a little hotdog vendor hut and was impressed. Probably not a great idea with an auto tranny but that's not an issue here.

I almost bought a Tacoma X-Runner a couple years ago, and while I liked that it was not only quick and nimble, and it could do some pretty good haulage, all such ratings were lesser than on all the other Tacomas.

Then I realized that if I'm gonna compromise my dreams of going back to school by staying a wage slave for the rest of my days, I shouldn't be doing it for less than an Evo. Unfortunately none of the above have happened yet. But that's another story.

The question at hand is what really makes up a specific vehicle's tow rating or lack thereof? I imagine its more of a chassis and/or drivetrain consideration than an issue of torque, but why not? Evos are stout as ****, so why shouldn't they be good to pull a couple hundred pounds around? As far as the owner's manual says not to do it, they probably also say don't ram 40+ pounds of boost down your Evo's gullet or inject meth into the engine, so doing what the manufacturer wants is kind of a moot point.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

I did a bit of work with Sean @ i-zoom ( http://www.izoomgraphics.com/ ) on a hitch for my 05 MR. They offer a solution for the Miata and WRX, but told me one was in development for the Evo. The last time I checked, the prototype for the Evo had failed the initial tests. Sean didn't have a time frame or a guarantee one would ever be available, but at least some of the preliminary R & D was completed by i-zoom. It might be worth checking on this again before committing to another solution. I'm interested in this too, so let me know what you find. I'm tired of stuffing my 5x Weds SA-70's (17 x 9) with 255/40/17 Nitto NT-01's in the back seat for track events (yes, they do fit!).
http://www.izoomgraphics.com/index.p...=index&cPath=4

Quick Reply: TRAILER HITCH ON MY 2005 evo MR