Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Question on JDM Evo's(importing)....??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2003, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on JDM Evo's(importing)....??

Im fairly new to the forums, but finally registered. I recently came across a thread about someone selling a Evo 5 GSR here in the and it was legal. I did past research(years ago)about importing a JDM Evo but couldn't find a thing. Does anyone know what company/places that import or able to import a JDM Evo. Or even any kind of info I should know or help that will lead me to find out more info about this. Thanks everyone for comments

Brian
Old Jul 21, 2003, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

i beleive that evo vii or viii just got approved for import (japan spec)
Old Jul 21, 2003, 08:02 PM
Account Disabled

WWW.EVOLUTIONIMPORTS.NET
For J-Spec evo 7 and 8
Old Jul 21, 2003, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

yes who doesn't know, but spoolinGSX buyer beware that site has some bad reviews, do a search on the forums
Old Jul 21, 2003, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

All you need to know is that NO imported Evo is legal right now..especially not from evolution imports. Why do you keep trying to get people to throw money their way Celm? There have been people waiting to get their Evo VII from EI since April '02...they paid upfront and still have no Evo to drive. Just do a search and you'll find some informative info on EI and the importation of Evos...
Old Jul 21, 2003, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

actually the national highway board or whatever approved them...
Old Jul 21, 2003, 08:12 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

They approved the LHD Evo VIII GSR...which does not exist.
Old Jul 21, 2003, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Those cars are going to get crushed! But make sure if you buy one, tell him i sent you.
Old Jul 21, 2003, 08:30 PM

First off im talking about importing a Evo GSR 4 or 5. I have found sites that do sell used JDM cars, one site is http://www.j-garage.com/index.html Finding the car is not the big problem, the problem is legalizing and getting the crash data info if im correct( i think in order for a place to have crash data they have to crash 3 of the cars they are selling??? i might be wrong tho) Finding used older Evo's for sale is not the problem. Just the correct info on importing and legalizing...any comments.? Thanks again everyone.

Brian
Old Jul 22, 2003, 04:20 AM
Evolved Member

You cannot import a car that is less than 25 years old without having it federalized. Federalizing a car is a very complex and expensive process to complete.

And the thing is, you can't import a JDM Spec car on your own. You need the help of a registered importer and a company that can do all the proper modifications....ie Evolution Imports.

Do a Search on this site for "Evolution Imports", and you'll find tons of info on importing cars.....and why NO JDM spec Evos are legal for importing at this time.

Hey guys....the LHD Evo VIII GSR, is what Mitsubishi calls the US Spec Evo VIII.

SC~
Old Jul 22, 2003, 04:28 AM
Account Disabled

Broeli,before you start saying thing with out thinking first.Check the DOT website.the petitions on the evos are on there saying there eligible for importation.and the comment period also ends in 8 days.so get your bashing in now on EvolutionM,cause after the 8th day ......
Old Jul 22, 2003, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

so get your bashing in now on EvolutionM,cause after the 8th day .....
You didn't finish your sentence. What's after the 8th day? Only one more year to wait??
Also, just because no comments against legalization are left doesn't mean it automatically passes. From the past informative importation threads I think that point was made. It also doesn't mean they will be legal anytime soon. I feel bad for the people that have been making payments on a $40k loan for the past 1.5 years and still don't have a car....
Old Jul 22, 2003, 06:43 AM
Account Disabled

i forgot u got inside word from the DOT also..who you think most of us have been speaking to?Not E.I,we been speaking to coleman sachs who is the one who has the say.all im going to say is that he said we have nothing to worry about.so like i said"get your bashing in now on EvolutionM"
Old Jul 22, 2003, 08:05 AM
Account Disabled

Its not an easy process at all to bring a car in....either for race use or personal use. Best bet is to check with those that have done it and follow their lead (I know we have a handful of customers with Evo V's through VII's that are all fully legalized (and not purchased through EI)

Adam
Old Jul 22, 2003, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Well, on the nhtsa site, there is a current petition for the Evo. But it is for LHD Evolution VIII's ONLY. So if you have an Evo VII, you are still going to be SOL after the petition time ends.

here is the link...

http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/p76/247330.pdf

SC~

Quick Reply: Question on JDM Evo's(importing)....??